How to get Youth in to sikhi

I think its good having the youtube material there but theres no incentive to go and watch it unless your actually interested in Sikhi and looking for answers on something. 

Alot of youth are more interested in going out clubbing from the age 18 + (not all). I think if we focus on getting these groups of people more into sikhi it would be beneficial. We already have sikh societies and lectures at unis. Not sure what more we could do but it makes sense to encourage people to visit gurdwaras and be involved in sadh sangat. I know that my local gurdwara has a football programme for the lads on a friday night but im pretty sure its the same people every week, theres no efforts being made to bring in the youth. Sport is a good way to get the youth together, you just need someone out there bringing them together. 

41 minutes ago, SikhInTheMaking said:

I think its good having the youtube material there but theres no incentive to go and watch it unless your actually interested in Sikhi and looking for answers on something. 

Alot of youth are more interested in going out clubbing from the age 18 + (not all). I think if we focus on getting these groups of people more into sikhi it would be beneficial. We already have sikh societies and lectures at unis. Not sure what more we could do but it makes sense to encourage people to visit gurdwaras and be involved in sadh sangat. I know that my local gurdwara has a football programme for the lads on a friday night but im pretty sure its the same people every week, theres no efforts being made to bring in the youth. Sport is a good way to get the youth together, you just need someone out there bringing them together. 

Singh well said you are right but I still think gurdwara commities need to do more they do very little normally the gurdwara commities are drunk and don't make the effort because it costs they are so stingy and stubborn

But Singh you are right 

More organized Sikh camps.

Boss Camp in 2015 was a huge success (and all other years). Many I know took amrit ever since!

Khalsa camp and SYF camp is also really good.

There are many camps, one that suits you.

Some of the youth in a Gurdwara nowadays just think doing matha tek, eating langar is enough. While they are there someone could introduce seva to them and teach them how to do it. 

Some youth also need help. This involves going out to clubs, hanging around with bad sangat. These are mainly the hard ones to get into Sikhi but it is only if they want to then it will work. Telling them about Sikhi is simply not enough. They need to act upon.

To bring youth into Sikhi then Sikhi needs to be brought to the youth. Similar to how Sikhi praachar was taken pind to pind by the likes of Sant Jarnail Singh Ji. Generally amongst the youth Sikhi isnt 'fashionable', we need to make it appealing. ATM when your average apna goes into the Gurdwara, there is a divide between them and the young Amritdharis and especially the elders. The young girls go to the Gurdwara and they are not generally in sync with whats happening and just see guys in Sikhi saroop who they aint used to seeing. Suleh are clever, they mix their culture well in bringing people into their faith, while our culture seems to be very far from our religious beliefs. E.G. suleh take girls/guys to shisha lounges, befriend them, then preach religion. Basically gone from a 'cool' scene to a religious scene. Us on other hand, you get most pagg wale drunk and dancing like idiots at bhangra gigs or normal clubs, with a lot of them harassing your average punjabi girls. So once again, we do not appear to be cool or attractive, even though the guys in the clubs aint the same dudes at the Gurdwara. We need to bridge this gap and use it to our advantage quickly. In Punjab, general consensus is that Singhs are boring and are 'babeh', this once again needs to be changed and we need to bring people in by going to them. 

VJKK VJKF

I wouldn't say it's entirely hard. Just like how gold appeals to all so does the truth. All we have to do is spread it to them. As I'm only 17 I can clearly see what's happening. We don't have young faces preaching sikhi. We have more than before but the amount are few and far between. The average parcharik (the closest thing we have to parchariks in the panth apart from a few a Basics parchariks are granthis in the gurdwara) doesn't leave the four doors of the gurdwara and inside they only hand out parshaad and may or may not read from Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj. How are the youth going to learn anything about sikhi when the gurdwara is only full of aunties and babeh doing chugliyah in the gurudwara and no-one is doing katha? If there is katha (rare nowadays) then it's Punjabi and only a few kids nowadays understand Punjabi so there's no English katha. My year group (Year 13) are really coming towards the path when with Maharaj kirpa daas starting doing a bit of parchar at school with the sikhs and now the sikh sangat (pardon the pun) is so much stronger because there's not an old baba speaking about sikhi; it's someone their age who they can relate to. We need to spread this sikhi to the youth because they are next generation and they can teach their kids and so on. Nowadays, we target old men to run our gurudwaras (which there is nothing wrong with)  but they run it and don't employ people to start preaching it within and outside the gurudwara. Why are we hiding this beautiful sikhi we have? Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj was jagat guru so they were here to save the whole world not just the sikhs. Target the youth, not the average baba on the road. We have tackled getting the old generation into Sikhi but what about the rest of the panth. Getting the youth into Sikhi is killing two birds with one stone because then when they become old they already know sikhi and can teach it to the youth again so it's a constant cycle but teaching the old generation doesn't help anyone because they don't become young again. We also don't teach our kids sikhi is anymore (this is aimed at parents). We think it's good enough to take our kids gurdwara now and again and remember God when we have exams or need something but nothing at all about what sikhi is even about. Names of 10 gurus, naam, sangat, Amrit, morals of Sikhi, kes... nothing. The list goes on. Where is this sikhi going? We can't even keep it running in our homes how are we supposed spread it outwards? We all love to point fingers at Muslims but there is one thing they do very very well and I really hope one day we can do this as well. They get their kids into Islam straight away. What they teach their kids and their faith in general is not a topic for me to comment on but the fact they know so much by their teens/late teens shows how easy it is to get kids in religion. Now I can't speak for Islam's teachings but we have such beautiful, beautiful but vastly effective and simple teachings which if we actually bothered to tell our kids and get them trained then they would automatically have a base of Sikhi which they could build on and spread all whilst still in their youth. The first rehat for us sikhs is to take Amrit at birth. Why is this not happening? Hindus get their kids wearing the janaeu from the day their born making their religion the forefront of the child's life from day dot but we can't even chose our kids names and keep their kes the sikh way. We are stopping sikhi in all our homes before it even gets to the streets. First in our guru's house (gurudwara) and then in our own homes. Maharaj kirpa daas will try and make these changes with the right sangat when I come out of school because I can't see this keep happening generation after generation... this stops now. Hope this helps Ji - bhul chuk maaf karna. 

Vaheguru Ji.

even if we don't have katha vachiks live we can watch videos of older ones and translate, discuss in groups at gurdwara , would help a lot especially  if our young mums are encouraged to come along during the day and they can get some knowledge to pass down to kids , maybe offer free creche facility during the day while they are learning ,  show anti-grooming films,  set up self-defence/fitness classes .