Does sikhi believe homosexuality to be a choice?

Guest Gursikh

Guest Gursikh

I’ve been an amritdhari for about 4 years now, and of course I get asked a lot of question about sikhi. However, due to a lack of knowledge (primarily because it is a very taboo subject, I have never heard katha on this topic at any gurdwara) when my friend at uni asked me this question I failed to answer it. I had no idea!

you see maharaj has not mentioned homos once in gurbani, and people always say “oh sikhi is about spirituality don’t worry about this” and then in the rehat maryada it states that you cannot be gay (akaal takhat)

so please could you refrain from using terminology like “sikhi is more than just the outside” and could some gursikh pyaraa please actually answer the question. I don’t want to be in that situation again ?

wjkk wjkf 

You are confusing sikhi with other religions.  Sikhi only shows the way to follow in order to re-unite with the creator. It does not give a fixed set of rules to live by. Any roop of anything if it asks for help from God even crocodiles,  stones etc, will get delivered. 

So far only 2 states have been mentioned, one is udasi and one is gristi. None is favoured however both are acceptable to God if you absorb yourself in his name.  Thus the in between state can be seen as a sickness which you sort out either by udasi... abstinence because there are no guides on homesexual marriages. 

In my opinion, it is lust which is spoken against strongly.  A study stated that 20 % of any population including animals can be born gay.  

At the end of the day, Guru Ji came to re unite us with God. It is an individual choice how you choose to leash your sexuality. Self control of lust is mentioned.  Lusty people go to hell. Some state of the mind which you have no control over I e being gay is a sickness which can be treated through naam simran. There is mention that Guru ji can change a man to become a woman in next janam and vice versa... depending on who you worship. If you worship the  goddess - you get janam as a lady if you were a man before. 

Guruji guides us as to what to pray for in another shabad... maan magau, taan magau, dhan, lakhmi, sut dhe. There are shabads for prayers requesting the birth of a child - and a wife too. So this clearly states to us what Guru Ji requires of us.

So there are only two states mentioned- celibate and married. After marriage there are prayers asking for children. So you can makeyyour conclusion as to how this is possible in same sex marriage.