Hammertime007

'The Boy with a Top knot `

Wheguru je ka Khalsa Wheguru je Fateh. The Boy with a Top knot which was originally a book, now being shown a drama next week. Don't expect anything positive and we won't be made to look good I feel . I saw him interviewed on brit asia once, he came across as a jumped up middle class liberal snotty nose div,  like sunny hundal. 

• Like 2

Not sure if this is true but is he Jagrag Singhs (Basics of sikhi) brother? 

Clearly there 2 different people. Just a general question

Im actually looking forward to watching this programme, not really sure what its about. We dont often see programmes about Sikhs on tv so it would be good watch hopefully. Although I can already see them offending or misrepresenting sikhs in some way or another

23 minutes ago, SikhInTheMaking said:

Not sure if this is true but is he Jagrag Singhs (Basics of sikhi) brother? 

Clearly there 2 different people. Just a general question

Im actually looking forward to watching this programme, not really sure what its about. We dont often see programmes about Sikhs on tv so it would be good watch hopefully. Although I can already see them offending or misrepresenting sikhs in some way or another

Sunny Hunndal is Jagraj Singhs' brother,  however Sunny Hunndal didn't write this. 

I read the book a few years ago. 

I don't think he has any Sikhi inside him, due to lack of Sikhi in his upbringing. Admittedly,  his family unit seemed quite dysfunctional. 

So, don't expect much good from Sikh perspective. 

Read the book years ago and remember meeting Satnam, I've stayed in touch with him over the years and am glad he's getting some recognition, he a good author, as far as the book having anything to do with Sikhi, is doesn't so don't watch the tv adaptation thinking it has, it's more about Punjabi culture and his own perspective on it.

3 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

Read the book years ago and remember meeting Satnam, I've stayed in touch with him over the years and am glad he's getting some recognition, he a good author, as far as the book having anything to do with Sikhi, is doesn't so don't watch the tv adaptation thinking it has, it's more about Punjabi culture and his own perspective on it.

We are highly critical of people when we look at them from the religious perspective. If a turbaned Sikh walked up to a girl and chatted, others will start to say - Oh God , Whats wrong with him? I thought he is a decent fellow. 

If a mona did the same thing, no one bats an eye, coz it is the normal thing for normal people to do.

The moment you hear that a Sikh wrote his story about a white girl, we get all judgemental in the name of religion. Whereas if a Hindu wrote the same story we would watch his drama without batting an eyelid. It does not unduly affect us.

We should learn to distinguish between normal life and religious life. Yes, there are many relationships that go on between sikhs and whites - which people never mention coz they see them as a disgrace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sikhni777 said:

We are highly critical of people when we look at them from the religious perspective. If a turbaned Sikh walked up to a girl and chatted, others will start to say - Oh God , Whats wrong with him? I thought he is a decent fellow. 

If a mona did the same thing, no one bats an eye, coz it is the normal thing for normal people to do.

The moment you hear that a Sikh wrote his story about a white girl, we get all judgemental in the name of religion. Whereas if a Hindu wrote the same story we would watch his drama without batting an eyelid. It does not unduly affect us.

We should learn to distinguish between normal life and religious life. Yes, there are many relationships that go on between sikhs and whites - which people never mention coz they see them as a disgrace.

We should also learn to distinguish between a Sikh and Panjabi because both are conflated due to laziness. This only leads to ignorance and confusion between the two.

Wearing a kara, tying a pagh or calling yourself Mr Singh or Ms Kaur while fooling around with goreh/kaleh , drinking alcohol etc. gives the good Sikhs a bad name and negative image. These idiots should either practice Sikhi properly or stop abusing/misusing these identities so they do not identify anymore as Sikh.

Being a Sikh in name-only means nothing to the Guru.

Edited by GuestSingh
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

We should also learn to distinguish between a Sikh and Panjabi because both are conflated due to laziness. This only leads to ignorance and confusion between the two.

Wearing a kara, tying a pagh or calling yourself Mr Singh or Ms Kaur while fooling around with goreh/kaleh , drinking alcohol etc. gives the good Sikhs a bad name and negative image. These idiots should either practice Sikhi properly or stop abusing/misusing these identities so they do not identify anymore as Sikh.

Being a Sikh in name-only means nothing to the Guru.

His book life and probably this programme has nothing to do with this. He associated and blamed his life problems with Sikhi when it was backward Indian punjabi culture. This programme will misrepresent Sikhi. 

17 hours ago, Hammertime007 said:

His book life and probably this programme has nothing to do with this. He associated and blamed his life problems with Sikhi when it was backward Indian punjabi culture. This programme will misrepresent Sikhi. 

I take it you've read the book then.

everyone has life problems, worse than this guy had ! .

Why is a book or show not made on them too ? I avoid such people like the plague 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

I take it you've read the book then.

The guy from what I have seen is a middle class liberal communist similar to sunny hundal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime007 said:

The guy from what I have seen is a middle class liberal communist similar to sunny hundal. 

I'm not talking about the author, knowing Satnam i can tell you he's a lot less Liberal than most people think (but everyone's entitled to their own opinion), I'm on about your comment "He associated and blamed his life problems with Sikhi when it was backward Indian punjabi culture. This programme will misrepresent Sikhi.", I'm assuming you've read the book for you to be able to pass judgement like that.

• Like 1

Saw it not what I expected. Sikhi only mentioned once and that was positive, when he said to his English girl friend that Sikhs beilive all men are equal. Main topic of this programme wasn't even race or mixed marriage, it was mental health. Sikhi not misrepresented. 

• Haha 1