Guest Kaur 2

Is listening to Bhangra songs wrong in Sikhi?

Guest ZAROON

IKK AWASTHA HUNDI E.............BOT HE GHAT LOKK NE JINHA NU SAMAJH AAANDI E........BAAKI TE ENHA SAARE QUESTIONS CH ULJHE HOYE NE.

TUHADI AWASTHA KI E, EH TUHANU PTA HOYEGA.............RABB NAAL JUDI AATMA NU KUJH FARK NHI PENDA........OSDE SAAMNE KUCH V HOYE LAKIN OSDA DHYAN SIRF RABB DI TARAF HUNDA E

JINIYA MARJI GALLAN QUESTIONS KAR LWO............MERI SAMAJH NAAL RABB IKK FEELING E......

GOD IS A FEELING

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

Upon listening to a lot more kirtan than normal, I am realising that there is no reason to listen to Bhangra songs especially because the lyrics are very opposite to what Sikhi teaches. The mood that kirtan puts you in is amazing, the sound is surreal. Bhangra is NOTHING compared to kirtan. The beautiful sound of raag fills your body and gives you shivers down the back of your spine. Bhangra is nothing and kirtan makes you way more energetic than Bhangra. It also makes you feel a lot stronger and calm. The anand is amazing...

VJKK VJKF                          :waheguru: 

Guest Jagsaw_Singh

You can teach a dog and cat to dance.

You can teach a bear to dance.

You can teach a monkey and horse to dance.

But a lion will NEVER EVER dance for you no matter how hard you beat it. A lion will never dance.

I say that to my boys but I'm unsure as to whether I don't dance because I can't dance or I can't dance because I won't jump up and down like a monkey. I'm unsure. But I do know there is nothing within me that compels me to jump up and down like a monkey. "But dancing is the most natural animalistic we have" the dancers say. "Exactly" I say. "I;m a man” “not a monkey" "I feel no need to act like a dumb animal and jump up down like an animal" " If I am any animal at all it is a Lion.....I will not dance".   My forefathers danced and I am in awe of them for doing so. They worked the fields of Punjab for 10 months solid...never washing....face and clothes blackened....other Punjabis calling them jatt boots as a result…and when harvest time came they wore bright colourful clothes and danced their joy. If I were them today I would do exactly the same. But I am not. I am a cockney. I did my GCSEs and now I work in an office. But my culture dictates that I pretend I spent 10 months solid working the fields without washing and jump up and down like a monkey.  I say F**k  this 'culture'. A lion is way beyond this bulls**t. A lion, unlike a horse, cat, dog and every other animal will be trained to dance.   To the OP of this thread I say this: When a lion is way past this bulls**t this means the lion is way past confusing Punjabi folk music with 'bhangra'.  Punjabi folk music is the story of us as a people. Never EVER confuse it with bhangra. Punjabi folk music and culture is Shakespearean in it’s contribution to a language and culture that was shaping culture and poetry two thousand years before Shakespeare’s people were living in caves like dogs.

No one has to like Punjabi folk music. For many, entirely justified, it is rubbish.  But don’t go confusing Punjabi folk music with bhangra.

As a very basic unpadh, uneducated, brexit voting example, look at this. This is one of Punjab’s greatest folk songs. It is Punjabi folk in it’s purest form but in intellectual terms it is our origin and culture to our north rather than Hindu south. The origin of this Punjabi folk classic is the ancient Baluchistan story of a woman that loses her husband kids and, in her pain, makes a figure from dirt / mud :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC-Tt-Kkavw

Guest Of course not
On 03/11/2017 at 10:11 PM, Guest Kaur 2 said:

VJKK VJKF

Is listening to Bhangra songs wrong in Sikhi? I couldn't find any gurbani quotes about it and I couldn't find any Basics of Sikhi/Nanak Naam videos about it. I want to know if I have been doing the wrong thing and I want to put a stop to it quick.

VJKK VJKF  

Of course it's not. 

We are not supposed to be fanatical. 

Focus on what's Important instead of trivial things. 

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:21 AM, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

You can teach a dog and cat to dance.

You can teach a bear to dance.

You can teach a monkey and horse to dance.

But a lion will NEVER EVER dance for you no matter how hard you beat it. A lion will never dance.

I say that to my boys but I'm unsure as to whether I don't dance because I can't dance or I can't dance because I won't jump up and down like a monkey. I'm unsure. But I do know there is nothing within me that compels me to jump up and down like a monkey. "But dancing is the most natural animalistic we have" the dancers say. "Exactly" I say. "I;m a man” “not a monkey" "I feel no need to act like a dumb animal and jump up down like an animal" " If I am any animal at all it is a Lion.....I will not dance".   My forefathers danced and I am in awe of them for doing so. They worked the fields of Punjab for 10 months solid...never washing....face and clothes blackened....other Punjabis calling them jatt boots as a result…and when harvest time came they wore bright colourful clothes and danced their joy. If I were them today I would do exactly the same. But I am not. I am a cockney. I did my GCSEs and now I work in an office. But my culture dictates that I pretend I spent 10 months solid working the fields without washing and jump up and down like a monkey.  I say F**k  this 'culture'. A lion is way beyond this bulls**t. A lion, unlike a horse, cat, dog and every other animal will be trained to dance.   To the OP of this thread I say this: When a lion is way past this bulls**t this means the lion is way past confusing Punjabi folk music with 'bhangra'.  Punjabi folk music is the story of us as a people. Never EVER confuse it with bhangra. Punjabi folk music and culture is Shakespearean in it’s contribution to a language and culture that was shaping culture and poetry two thousand years before Shakespeare’s people were living in caves like dogs.

No one has to like Punjabi folk music. For many, entirely justified, it is rubbish.  But don’t go confusing Punjabi folk music with bhangra.

As a very basic unpadh, uneducated, brexit voting example, look at this. This is one of Punjab’s greatest folk songs. It is Punjabi folk in it’s purest form but in intellectual terms it is our origin and culture to our north rather than Hindu south. The origin of this Punjabi folk classic is the ancient Baluchistan story of a woman that loses her husband kids and, in her pain, makes a figure from dirt / mud :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC-Tt-Kkavw

Thanks for that veerji, it really helped me understand. I really appreciate it!

VJKK VJKF

On 11/11/2017 at 3:18 PM, Guest Of course not said:

Of course it's not. 

We are not supposed to be fanatical. 

Focus on what's Important instead of trivial things. 

Of course Gurbani says to be fanatical.  Gurbani says become fanatical as a drug addict is for his drug.  Only thing on the drug addicts mind is getting high.  In the same manner Gurbani says the only desire a Sikh should have is for Shabad Guru.  The drug addict doesn't even want to try the weak drugs.  His mind only gets high off of his fix.  In the same manner a Sikh doesnt bother with the drug of bhangra, which is not letting him feel the high of Gurbani.  Sikhs are addicts of Gurbani.  

Any successful person in the world became an addict of their trade.  Whether the trade me right or wrong.  In most cases they compromised all morals and ethics to become multi millionaire or billionaire.  In a similar manner Gurmukhs abandoned worldly desires like Bhangra and attached their thought to Gurbani.  

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

14 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Of course Gurbani says to be fanatical.  Gurbani says become fanatical as a drug addict is for his drug.  Only thing on the drug addicts mind is getting high.  In the same manner Gurbani says the only desire a Sikh should have is for Shabad Guru.  The drug addict doesn't even want to try the weak drugs.  His mind only gets high off of his fix.  In the same manner a Sikh doesnt bother with the drug of bhangra, which is not letting him feel the high of Gurbani.  Sikhs are addicts of Gurbani.  

Any successful person in the world became an addict of their trade.  Whether the trade me right or wrong.  In most cases they compromised all morals and ethics to become multi millionaire or billionaire.  In a similar manner Gurmukhs abandoned worldly desires like Bhangra and attached their thought to Gurbani.  

Very true veerji. I can tell you first hand that the anand of Gurbani is much better and higher than the small pleasure that we get from Bhangra songs. Try it for yourself...

VJKK VJKF

Guest London jwaan
18 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

What the hell are you talking about? 

There is nothing in sikhi that requires Sikhs to be fanatical.

Along your logic, tv and internet must also be banned in sikhi?

the problem is morons looking at fanaticism in Islam and trying to replicate that in sikhi.

wjkk wjkf

Guest Truth
9 hours ago, Guest London jwaan said:

What the hell are you talking about? 

There is nothing in sikhi that requires Sikhs to be fanatical.

Along your logic, tv and internet must also be banned in sikhi?

the problem is morons looking at fanaticism in Islam and trying to replicate that in sikhi.

wjkk wjkf

Good post. 

Akali Fauj. 

The only thing our Gurus taught us to be crazy about is Loving Him. 

They said time again said he can only be met with True Love. 

This love doesn't well up in your heart, then you're a zombie like most souls in Kalyug. 

It's like a poster in another thread saying he feels guilty for One hair falling out. One hair makes No difference, when we shed hair naturally constantly. Trivial issues to procrastinate from actually silencing your thieves and walking the Bhagat path seriously. 

The FIRST questions he should be asking himself is does he Truly love God. Does he Truly accept His Will in both Dukh and Sukh. Does he always speak the Truth, never ever lying, and does he practice the laws of Nirboah and Nirvair, recognizing Him calmly in Sehaj, as everyone and everything. 

Bhangra music is fine. Getting smashed off your face whilst dancing to it is of course silly.

Stop procrastinating on small petty issues and focus on what actually matters. Don't twist and turn Gurbani to your own Man Made, Human and Worldly Maya Logic. 

We are supposed to be spiritually accepting and tolerant, not go nuts at everything on earth and attack it. 

Only when it's a last resort, we defend ourselves. We're not fanatical Muslims.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Exactly. To be proud of one's language we should strive to speak words from our own language. Rabb is a commonly heard word in our community, but many do not know that it is Arabic. We can use indigineous words such as Ishwar or Parmatma instead during daily discourse. It's actively trying to bring back words that we used but were forced to extinction in our language because of violent invaders.
    • The question would be are there arab loanwords that can be gotten rid off if we have perfectly good indigenous words we could use instead. For example, should we use sansaar instead of duniya.  What other words could we replace if it is already in our vocabulary. Do some us prefer the back throated sounds of the Arab words because we think it sounds sexy and we can pretend to be some pakhandi Sufi poet? 
    • We would also have a far deeper presence in the Gangetic Plains.  No British, no East India Company, no Purbia /Bihari army with no mutiny.  The last remaining mughals would have been finished off a lot quicker.  Awadh,  Agra,  Lucknow would have fallen into Sikh hands.  There would be a link of Sikhi stretching all the way to Patna. 
    • 19 11 2017 1) What costs more than riches but doesn't cost a penny; that's also hard to find yet easy to lose? 2) How can you make seven even? 3) If you have me, you want to share me. If you share me, you haven't got me. What am I? 4) What is so delicate that saying its name breaks it? 5) am free yet priceless, you can't own me but you can use me, you can't keep me but you can spend me. Once you lost me you can never have me back. What am I?   Well, the answers are : 1) Friend 2) Drop the  S 3) Secret 4) Silence 5)Time
    •   THIS IS EPIC A man was being interviewed for a post of a commando in the Army... Interviewer : we want a person with a suspicious mind,  always alert,  ready to attack, acute sense of hearing, detective ability, and most importantly, having a killer instinct ! So do you think you are eligible ? Man: Sir ....  can my wife apply ?     Made for each other.. Relationship is easy,
      when spouses know each other Here are 2 classic  examples: 1) A husband comes home after attending a club meeting.
      He tells his wife,“Dear there was a drinking competition after meeting today.” His wife spontaneously...,
         “Who got the second position?” 2) A wife tells her husband,
      “Dear there was a letter for you.
      It’s written on the envelope,
      ‘Private and confidential.’” The husband casually asks,
           “What was written inside?" Great understanding of each other.