Guest Kaur 2

Is listening to Bhangra songs wrong in Sikhi?

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

Is listening to Bhangra songs wrong in Sikhi? I couldn't find any gurbani quotes about it and I couldn't find any Basics of Sikhi/Nanak Naam videos about it. I want to know if I have been doing the wrong thing and I want to put a stop to it quick.

VJKK VJKF  

It would be more beneficial for you to listen to shabads if you plan to get closer to God. The message from those songs in anti-gurmat - you dont want to feed your soul on ---- aj mae pini yaaa. You gain more by listening to Amrit peeevio sadha chir jeevo. Listen to sachi bani and amrit bani. 

The Gurus never wrote any songs for us to listen to... they gave us bani... listen to shabads as much as you can.

check out an earlier discussion

Edited by sikhni777
added info
  • Like 2

Nothing wrong with songs but i find bhangra songs are usually really lustful and dirty or usually about some stupid gang etc. 

There are good punjabi songs that teach real values as well but now days they are rare.

• Like 1

Bhangra these days is the epitome of gandh.

Old Punjabi songs however, are epic - a lot of them are deep, and a lot provide light-hearted harmless entertainment. Although, you have to be quite desi at heart to appreciate them.

Compare todays rubbish with these two examples:

Ask your folks about the days they used to kali bhande.

This song I believe, is far deeper than it seems - depending on how you hear it personally, it sounds like a devotional song, much like Sufi/Qawwali. Truly amazing example of the depth of Punjabi poetry.

• Like 1

Guest New 1

Mrdoaba is right - Old songs are better but they are an acquired taste - 

Muslims have much richer and better religious music - from qawali to religious English music  - better of listening to that - 

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

What about Gurdas Maan and Diljit Dosanjh Ki Banu Duniya Da?  

VJKK VJKF

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

I think that what Gurdas Maan sings about has a good message about how much the world is changing and tbh that's probably the only song I listen to because it is quite deep. Another one I listen to is Punjab by Gurdas Maan. Its about Shaheed Bhagat Singh. 

Fateh Ji

In my opinion I think listening to bhangra songs is decent. The act of bhangra (i.e dancing) could be forbidden it depends though if you are religious or not.

Just make sure the bhangra doesn't have a bad influence on you. 

Bhul chuk maaf 

Fateh Ji

• Like 1

Guest Kahan singh

Beta ji once you start getting imbued in simran, you will probably have the answer. You will try to avoid everything else other than simran.  There is nothing good or bad in this world the only thing is intentions and mind.  Dasam bani especially akaal ustat is what i want you to read. It clears many questions. 

😊

i dont comment frequently but i read sikhsangat all the time and i can see u r the same bibi who ask so many gurmat question since about last month and willing to take amrit. 

Its good beta keep asking questions and try to make ur life more and more connected to God

8 hours ago, Guest New 1 said:

Muslims have much richer and better religious music - from qawali to religious English music  - better of listening to that - 

Errmm no. That's not the point I was making. While qawwali is good is doesn't come close to Maharaajs Bani and Shabad Kirtan. Bhajan Kirtan is Pavitar. And we're not on the topic of religious music anyway.

A Sakhi:

A group of qawwals came to Damdami Taksal to display their talents and the Sangat was enamoured with the music they heard and they received praise from everybody. They then proceeded to insult and shame a member of the Taksals Kirtan Jatha by saying "allah ne tuhanu Raag ni bakshe ah". The Singh of the Jatha was upset with their comments and took it to heart, he then went to Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji to explain what had happened. Sant Ji told him not to worry and keep bharosa in Guru Sahib - he was instructed to do a Chalisa of Raagmala and then return. After completing the Chalisa the Singh joined his Jatha and began to do Kirtan - the Sangat was left speechless as well as the qawwals - the Kirtan which was heard could not be described in words - the only word which comes close is divine. The qawwals begged for maafi and promptly left the Dera with their heads hanging in shame.

The level of Gyaan Maharaaj can baksh is not comparable to anything else. With true sharda Guru Sahib does beant Kirpa.

Vaheguru

• Like 1

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

2 hours ago, Guest Kahan singh said:

Beta Ji once you start getting imbued in simran, you will probably have the answer. You will try to avoid everything else other than simran.  There is nothing good or bad in this world the only thing is intentions and mind.  Dasam bani especially akaal ustat is what i want you to read. It clears many questions. 

😊

i dont comment frequently but i read sikhsangat all the time and i can see u r the same bibi who ask so many gurmat question since about last month and willing to take amrit. 

Its good beta keep asking questions and try to make ur life more and more connected to God

Thanks for reading and recognising my posts! Also I definitely will try to listen to more kirtan and no Bhangra at all. I asked this question because I am being brought up in a typical Punjabi household who approve of pretty, intelligent and "normal" girls and they always tell me to be more like them. (Because I do a jura at the back of my head and I put a patka on top.) They always say: You don't like nice with a patka on etc. I the spend the rest of the day feeling hurt and upset because the fact is that I don't mind them saying stuff to me but the thing that hurts me is when they say bad things about the Guru's roop and when they try to put me off of taking amrit. (it doesn't work though) I already told my mum that I am definitely going to take amrit and that when I turn 16 (I am 13) she can't stop me. I will walk to the gurdwara if I need to, but no-one can stop me. If the Guru did so much for me then this is the least that I can do. I don't want to waste my life I want to dedicate it to Vaheguru. My parents aren't giving up on trying to put me off though but I just do Vaheguru simran and try so hard to ignore them. Its so hard though because if my parents aren't going to support me then who will?  I feel like crying but I know that no-one cares about my tears.

VJKK VJKF        :/

Guest LS93 Lakhvir Singh

Sant Kartar Singh Ji reflects on History and also on Gurbani Panktis (words). Das on facebook listed alot of Gurbani Shabads which are against Songs, Dancing unfortunately Das cannot find them. However if you search words into Gurbani App you should get the Gurbani. Theres alot. People who were totally for Dancing and Bhangra ended up going quiet whilst others changed their mind to agree.

Das use to listen to punjabi songs daily and use to do bhangra before Sikhi, it will effect your Sikhi if you dont change by following rehet and staying away from such gande lyrics and sexist boliyan.  People only do bhangra when theres Songs involved other then that they wont do it for exercise reasons without songs. 

People need to think of what they do and how it will effect their soul more so then the mind. 

In addition to sufi songs they are banned in the mainstream islam, Das use to listen aswell to Allah hu and others songs they give short lived bliss. Kirtan Gives you a completely different Raas to remembering and feeling Vaheguru presence. Kirtan will help the amount you are jaaping Naam. You have to just think if you aint remembering Vaheguru with concentration during bhangra songs, sufi songs then you most definitely know to stay away. It wont do you any good. 

Guest LS93 Lakhvir Singh

Das parents and siblings are the same dont worry. Alot of people face similar to what you go through. Everyone has their own path some are atheist whilst other act like hindus and muslim even though from a sikh background. It doesnt matter how young you are to be blessed with Khande de Pahul. Think of the Chaur Sahibzade and all the young Shaheed Singhs and Singhni's. be dedicated to Amrit Vela and Reciting kirtan shabads and gurbani at home. Your parents will change once they see how Sikhi betters you. stay humble and respect all in all difficulties. Screenshot_20171103-164316.thumb.png.c8092fdf0ac063e55bd3253915ba5f33.png

iy0xs2.png

iy0xs2.png

14753904_1204177462958761_3255426610827692148_o.jpg

Screenshot_20171103-164316.png

Guest LS93 Lakhvir Singh

ਤਿ੍ਯਾ ਰਾਗ ਸੁਨਿਹ ਚਿਤ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਲਾਲ ਸੋ ਜਮਪੁਰਿ ਜਾਇ ॥੧੭॥ 
“Those who listen to dirty lyrics and lustful tunes with attention, listen Nand Laal Ji, they will be punished by the angel of death.”
(Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Singh Ji)

ਮੇਰੇ ਮੋਹਨ ਸ੍ਰਵਨੀ ਇਹ ਨ ਸੁਨਾਏ ॥ 
ਸਾਕਤ ਗੀਤ ਨਾਦ ਧੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਤ ਬੋਲਤ ਬੋਲ ਅਜਾਏ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ 
“O my fascinating Lord, let me not listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause|||" 
(Ang 820) 

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

I never realised... It may be hard to get away from Bhangra totally but I will listen to more kirtan and will try and keep away from Bhangra. The video was very helpful... very deep indeed. Please do try to find more gurbani pankti's.

VJKK VJKF

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Exactly. To be proud of one's language we should strive to speak words from our own language. Rabb is a commonly heard word in our community, but many do not know that it is Arabic. We can use indigineous words such as Ishwar or Parmatma instead during daily discourse. It's actively trying to bring back words that we used but were forced to extinction in our language because of violent invaders.
    • The question would be are there arab loanwords that can be gotten rid off if we have perfectly good indigenous words we could use instead. For example, should we use sansaar instead of duniya.  What other words could we replace if it is already in our vocabulary. Do some us prefer the back throated sounds of the Arab words because we think it sounds sexy and we can pretend to be some pakhandi Sufi poet? 
    • We would also have a far deeper presence in the Gangetic Plains.  No British, no East India Company, no Purbia /Bihari army with no mutiny.  The last remaining mughals would have been finished off a lot quicker.  Awadh,  Agra,  Lucknow would have fallen into Sikh hands.  There would be a link of Sikhi stretching all the way to Patna. 
    • 19 11 2017 1) What costs more than riches but doesn't cost a penny; that's also hard to find yet easy to lose? 2) How can you make seven even? 3) If you have me, you want to share me. If you share me, you haven't got me. What am I? 4) What is so delicate that saying its name breaks it? 5) am free yet priceless, you can't own me but you can use me, you can't keep me but you can spend me. Once you lost me you can never have me back. What am I?   Well, the answers are : 1) Friend 2) Drop the  S 3) Secret 4) Silence 5)Time
    •   THIS IS EPIC A man was being interviewed for a post of a commando in the Army... Interviewer : we want a person with a suspicious mind,  always alert,  ready to attack, acute sense of hearing, detective ability, and most importantly, having a killer instinct ! So do you think you are eligible ? Man: Sir ....  can my wife apply ?     Made for each other.. Relationship is easy,
      when spouses know each other Here are 2 classic  examples: 1) A husband comes home after attending a club meeting.
      He tells his wife,“Dear there was a drinking competition after meeting today.” His wife spontaneously...,
         “Who got the second position?” 2) A wife tells her husband,
      “Dear there was a letter for you.
      It’s written on the envelope,
      ‘Private and confidential.’” The husband casually asks,
           “What was written inside?" Great understanding of each other.