Is listening to Bhangra songs wrong in Sikhi?

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

2 hours ago, Guest Kahan singh said:

Beta Ji once you start getting imbued in simran, you will probably have the answer. You will try to avoid everything else other than simran.  There is nothing good or bad in this world the only thing is intentions and mind.  Dasam bani especially akaal ustat is what i want you to read. It clears many questions. 

?

i dont comment frequently but i read sikhsangat all the time and i can see u r the same bibi who ask so many gurmat question since about last month and willing to take amrit. 

Its good beta keep asking questions and try to make ur life more and more connected to God

Thanks for reading and recognising my posts! Also I definitely will try to listen to more kirtan and no Bhangra at all. I asked this question because I am being brought up in a typical Punjabi household who approve of pretty, intelligent and "normal" girls and they always tell me to be more like them. (Because I do a jura at the back of my head and I put a patka on top.) They always say: You don't like nice with a patka on etc. I the spend the rest of the day feeling hurt and upset because the fact is that I don't mind them saying stuff to me but the thing that hurts me is when they say bad things about the Guru's roop and when they try to put me off of taking amrit. (it doesn't work though) I already told my mum that I am definitely going to take amrit and that when I turn 16 (I am 13) she can't stop me. I will walk to the gurdwara if I need to, but no-one can stop me. If the Guru did so much for me then this is the least that I can do. I don't want to waste my life I want to dedicate it to Vaheguru. My parents aren't giving up on trying to put me off though but I just do Vaheguru simran and try so hard to ignore them. Its so hard though because if my parents aren't going to support me then who will?  I feel like crying but I know that no-one cares about my tears.

VJKK VJKF        :/

Guest LS93 Lakhvir Singh

Sant Kartar Singh Ji reflects on History and also on Gurbani Panktis (words). Das on facebook listed alot of Gurbani Shabads which are against Songs, Dancing unfortunately Das cannot find them. However if you search words into Gurbani App you should get the Gurbani. Theres alot. People who were totally for Dancing and Bhangra ended up going quiet whilst others changed their mind to agree.

Das use to listen to punjabi songs daily and use to do bhangra before Sikhi, it will effect your Sikhi if you dont change by following rehet and staying away from such gande lyrics and sexist boliyan.  People only do bhangra when theres Songs involved other then that they wont do it for exercise reasons without songs. 

People need to think of what they do and how it will effect their soul more so then the mind. 

In addition to sufi songs they are banned in the mainstream islam, Das use to listen aswell to Allah hu and others songs they give short lived bliss. Kirtan Gives you a completely different Raas to remembering and feeling Vaheguru presence. Kirtan will help the amount you are jaaping Naam. You have to just think if you aint remembering Vaheguru with concentration during bhangra songs, sufi songs then you most definitely know to stay away. It wont do you any good. 

Guest LS93 Lakhvir Singh

Das parents and siblings are the same dont worry. Alot of people face similar to what you go through. Everyone has their own path some are atheist whilst other act like hindus and muslim even though from a sikh background. It doesnt matter how young you are to be blessed with Khande de Pahul. Think of the Chaur Sahibzade and all the young Shaheed Singhs and Singhni's. be dedicated to Amrit Vela and Reciting kirtan shabads and gurbani at home. Your parents will change once they see how Sikhi betters you. stay humble and respect all in all difficulties. Screenshot_20171103-164316.thumb.png.c8092fdf0ac063e55bd3253915ba5f33.png

iy0xs2.png

iy0xs2.png

14753904_1204177462958761_3255426610827692148_o.jpg

Screenshot_20171103-164316.png

Guest LS93 Lakhvir Singh

ਤਿ੍ਯਾ ਰਾਗ ਸੁਨਿਹ ਚਿਤ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਲਾਲ ਸੋ ਜਮਪੁਰਿ ਜਾਇ ॥੧੭॥ 
“Those who listen to dirty lyrics and lustful tunes with attention, listen Nand Laal Ji, they will be punished by the angel of death.”
(Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Singh Ji)

ਮੇਰੇ ਮੋਹਨ ਸ੍ਰਵਨੀ ਇਹ ਨ ਸੁਨਾਏ ॥ 
ਸਾਕਤ ਗੀਤ ਨਾਦ ਧੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਤ ਬੋਲਤ ਬੋਲ ਅਜਾਏ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ 
“O my fascinating Lord, let me not listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause|||" 
(Ang 820) 

VJKK VJKF

I never realised... It may be hard to get away from Bhangra totally but I will listen to more kirtan and will try and keep away from Bhangra. The video was very helpful... very deep indeed. Please do try to find more gurbani pankti's.

VJKK VJKF

IKK AWASTHA HUNDI E.............BOT HE GHAT LOKK NE JINHA NU SAMAJH AAANDI E........BAAKI TE ENHA SAARE QUESTIONS CH ULJHE HOYE NE.

TUHADI AWASTHA KI E, EH TUHANU PTA HOYEGA.............RABB NAAL JUDI AATMA NU KUJH FARK NHI PENDA........OSDE SAAMNE KUCH V HOYE LAKIN OSDA DHYAN SIRF RABB DI TARAF HUNDA E

JINIYA MARJI GALLAN QUESTIONS KAR LWO............MERI SAMAJH NAAL RABB IKK FEELING E......

GOD IS A FEELING

VJKK VJKF

Upon listening to a lot more kirtan than normal, I am realising that there is no reason to listen to Bhangra songs especially because the lyrics are very opposite to what Sikhi teaches. The mood that kirtan puts you in is amazing, the sound is surreal. Bhangra is NOTHING compared to kirtan. The beautiful sound of raag fills your body and gives you shivers down the back of your spine. Bhangra is nothing and kirtan makes you way more energetic than Bhangra. It also makes you feel a lot stronger and calm. The anand is amazing...

VJKK VJKF                          :waheguru: 

Guest Jagsaw_Singh

You can teach a dog and cat to dance.

You can teach a bear to dance.

You can teach a monkey and horse to dance.

But a lion will NEVER EVER dance for you no matter how hard you beat it. A lion will never dance.

I say that to my boys but I'm unsure as to whether I don't dance because I can't dance or I can't dance because I won't jump up and down like a monkey. I'm unsure. But I do know there is nothing within me that compels me to jump up and down like a monkey. "But dancing is the most natural animalistic we have" the dancers say. "Exactly" I say. "I;m a man” “not a monkey" "I feel no need to act like a dumb animal and jump up down like an animal" " If I am any animal at all it is a Lion.....I will not dance".   My forefathers danced and I am in awe of them for doing so. They worked the fields of Punjab for 10 months solid...never washing....face and clothes blackened....other Punjabis calling them jatt boots as a result…and when harvest time came they wore bright colourful clothes and danced their joy. If I were them today I would do exactly the same. But I am not. I am a cockney. I did my GCSEs and now I work in an office. But my culture dictates that I pretend I spent 10 months solid working the fields without washing and jump up and down like a monkey.  I say F**k  this 'culture'. A lion is way beyond this bulls**t. A lion, unlike a horse, cat, dog and every other animal will be trained to dance.   To the OP of this thread I say this: When a lion is way past this bulls**t this means the lion is way past confusing Punjabi folk music with 'bhangra'.  Punjabi folk music is the story of us as a people. Never EVER confuse it with bhangra. Punjabi folk music and culture is Shakespearean in it’s contribution to a language and culture that was shaping culture and poetry two thousand years before Shakespeare’s people were living in caves like dogs.

No one has to like Punjabi folk music. For many, entirely justified, it is rubbish.  But don’t go confusing Punjabi folk music with bhangra.

As a very basic unpadh, uneducated, brexit voting example, look at this. This is one of Punjab’s greatest folk songs. It is Punjabi folk in it’s purest form but in intellectual terms it is our origin and culture to our north rather than Hindu south. The origin of this Punjabi folk classic is the ancient Baluchistan story of a woman that loses her husband kids and, in her pain, makes a figure from dirt / mud :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC-Tt-Kkavw

Guest Of course not
On 03/11/2017 at 10:11 PM, Guest Kaur 2 said:

VJKK VJKF

Is listening to Bhangra songs wrong in Sikhi? I couldn't find any gurbani quotes about it and I couldn't find any Basics of Sikhi/Nanak Naam videos about it. I want to know if I have been doing the wrong thing and I want to put a stop to it quick.

VJKK VJKF  

Of course it's not. 

We are not supposed to be fanatical. 

Focus on what's Important instead of trivial things. 

VJKK VJKF

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:21 AM, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

You can teach a dog and cat to dance.

You can teach a bear to dance.

You can teach a monkey and horse to dance.

But a lion will NEVER EVER dance for you no matter how hard you beat it. A lion will never dance.

I say that to my boys but I'm unsure as to whether I don't dance because I can't dance or I can't dance because I won't jump up and down like a monkey. I'm unsure. But I do know there is nothing within me that compels me to jump up and down like a monkey. "But dancing is the most natural animalistic we have" the dancers say. "Exactly" I say. "I;m a man” “not a monkey" "I feel no need to act like a dumb animal and jump up down like an animal" " If I am any animal at all it is a Lion.....I will not dance".   My forefathers danced and I am in awe of them for doing so. They worked the fields of Punjab for 10 months solid...never washing....face and clothes blackened....other Punjabis calling them jatt boots as a result…and when harvest time came they wore bright colourful clothes and danced their joy. If I were them today I would do exactly the same. But I am not. I am a cockney. I did my GCSEs and now I work in an office. But my culture dictates that I pretend I spent 10 months solid working the fields without washing and jump up and down like a monkey.  I say F**k  this 'culture'. A lion is way beyond this bulls**t. A lion, unlike a horse, cat, dog and every other animal will be trained to dance.   To the OP of this thread I say this: When a lion is way past this bulls**t this means the lion is way past confusing Punjabi folk music with 'bhangra'.  Punjabi folk music is the story of us as a people. Never EVER confuse it with bhangra. Punjabi folk music and culture is Shakespearean in it’s contribution to a language and culture that was shaping culture and poetry two thousand years before Shakespeare’s people were living in caves like dogs.

No one has to like Punjabi folk music. For many, entirely justified, it is rubbish.  But don’t go confusing Punjabi folk music with bhangra.

As a very basic unpadh, uneducated, brexit voting example, look at this. This is one of Punjab’s greatest folk songs. It is Punjabi folk in it’s purest form but in intellectual terms it is our origin and culture to our north rather than Hindu south. The origin of this Punjabi folk classic is the ancient Baluchistan story of a woman that loses her husband kids and, in her pain, makes a figure from dirt / mud :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC-Tt-Kkavw

Thanks for that veerji, it really helped me understand. I really appreciate it!

VJKK VJKF