I was told by an AMRITDHARI I was too good looking to take Amrit

Guest Angry and fed up

Guest Angry and fed up

My cousins Chacha took amrit not long ago. Just over the weekend we had a wedding, and I told him I wanted to take amrit. His response has still shocked me till now “you are still so young and you have been blessed with good looks, go enjoy your life for a few more years and then take amrit. You have really nice eyes and a jaw line, DONT WASTE IT” what the F**k. It really put me off sikhi, to know that amritdharis think this. I would have expected this from a mona, not a singh that japs naam!!!!!!

My family have reluctantly stopped me from taking Amrit! It’s always “oh your still so young”, “your so good looking, you won’t look nice with a dastar”, “you won’t do good at school” 

I thought by doing really good at school my mum would let me take amrit, so I got my gcse results and I got all A’s. Just when I was about to say that look I have done well at school now let me take amrit my Dad said “see, if you had taken amrit you wouldn’t have got these good grades”. 

I have wanted to take amrit for about one year now (I’m 18) due to my past mistakes, by going out with girls, staying out late, my family are saying I will want to do this later on when I’m older. Which is just BS. Just a couple of months ago one of my family members sent my pic off to JD (big sports franchise) for teenage models, and I got selected to go. I told my family that I don’t want to do it and I want to take amrit. When I said this my mum slapped me, my chacha and Dad got REALLY ANGRY, I honestly thought I was going to get hit.  I didn’t do the JD thing and me and my mum are still talking but I still want to take amrit, my chacha and dads tactic to scare me away from amrit never worked!

I just read a thread similar to mine that a teenager who was good looking has taken amrit can he still date something like that and it really made me want to post this up. 

I have not eaten meat for about 3 months (my dad doesn’t know this, I’m scared that if he finds out he will flip), I don’t drink and I have never done drugs. 

Please sangat ji, what do you think? Surely what my cousins Chacha said is absolute rubbish, right?

WJKK WJKF

That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard.

I'd suggest practicing rehat before you take amrit.

It's a big commitment, not many understand this and you wouldn't enjoy going pesh every now and then.

For your reference here is what you must practice:

http://www.gurunanakdarbar.net/sikhrehatmaryada.pdf

Practice this so you know what you will be doing before you do take amrit.

VJKK VJKF

Loooooooooooool that was by far the silliest thing I've ever heard. You are never too "good-looking" to take amrit and actually I'm sure you'd look even better in a dastar/dumalla. My parents say to me: Don't wear a patka you are a girl and you don't look nice wearing it. I say to them: You are saying the Guru's roop doesn't look nice? That's so disrespectful!. But they just don't understand. You are 18 so you are legally an adult you are free to do what you want. Just take amrit and also you're not that young. How much more of your life are you going to waste by not taking amrit and if it is what you want to do then go ahead and do it. I am 13 and I am going through a similar thing. I already told my mum that I will take amrit and that she can't stop me. She said that's fine just take it when you are 16. That's too long to wait! I will turn 14 next year 18th May and then it will still be too long. You should carry on doing paath and learn your nitnem. And yep do what monatosingh veerji suggested: Follow the rehat strictly for about a year and then when you feel comfortable with it then take amrit. I have been following the rehat for about a year and I feel fine with it, I can do it. You know when you are ready to take amrit when you are ready to give your head to the Guru. The panj pyare didn't go up to take amrit they went to give their head so that's how you know when you are ready. I am ready but its just my mum that's standing in my way. Keep strong and do lots of bani the more bani you do the better it'll be for you.

Look even Barack Obama is laughing:

Image result for laughing gif

VJKK VJKF 

Gurbani says do not be proud of good looks. They do not last for a lifetime.  You have them just for maybe 20 years,  so what comes after that? Your body may last for 60, if you are lucky 70, 80, or 100. After that? We will all go to be judged. Always remember that coz thats the most important. 

This is really something weird and funny at the same time.. maybe ur parents saying all this because they think after taking Amrit  u might feel like u know what normally youngsters do. So maybe they think that u won’t be able to keep the rehat 100% and that would be a sin in itself acc to me.. u should clearly ask them why do they don’t want u to take Amrit. The real reason. Good looks and u won’t do good at school is just bs. or u should assure them somehow that u will be committed to ur Amrit forever.. how is ur mother and father in terms of sikhi and spirituality.. I mean do they do path or simran or go to gurudwara.. I can only suggest u talking to them abt this firmly as I have no idea what’s in their mind and they are ur parents right they will never think anything bad or negative about u. It could be just that they think that ur really too young for this and u might won’t keep the rehat.. because really taking Amrit is no joke u have to be mentally prepare for it.. god bless

Part of a person who is ready for amrit also does not care about approval from others. SGGS Ang 215 Maan apmaan dhou samane.  Their mind does not bent either to praise or dispraise.

ਮਾਨੁ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ਦੋਊ ਸਮਾਨੇ ਮਸਤਕੁ ਡਾਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਪਾਗਿਓ  
मानु अभिमानु दोऊ समाने मसतकु डारि गुर पागिओ ॥ 
Mān abẖimān ḏo▫ū samāne masṯak dār gur pāgi▫o. 
Honor and dishonor are the same to me; I have placed my forehead upon the Guru's Feet. 

ਸੰਪਤ ਹਰਖੁ  ਆਪਤ ਦੂਖਾ ਰੰਗੁ ਠਾਕੁਰੈ ਲਾਗਿਓ ॥੧॥ 
स्मपत हरखु न आपत दूखा रंगु ठाकुरै लागिओ ॥१॥ 
Sampaṯ harakẖ na āpaṯ ḏūkẖā rang ṯẖākurai lāgi▫o. ||1|| 
Wealth does not excite me, and misfortune does not disturb me; I have embraced love for my Lord and Master. ||1|| 

ਬਾਸ ਬਾਸਰੀ ਏਕੈ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਉਦਿਆਨ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਾਗਿਓ  
बास बासरी एकै सुआमी उदिआन द्रिसटागिओ ॥ 
Bās bāsrī ekai su▫āmī uḏi▫ān ḏaristāgi▫o. 
The One Lord and Master dwells in the home; He is seen in the wilderness as well. 

ਨਿਰਭਉ ਭਏ ਸੰਤ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਡਾਰਿਓ ਪੂਰਨ ਸਰਬਾਗਿਓ ॥੨॥ 
निरभउ भए संत भ्रमु डारिओ पूरन सरबागिओ ॥२॥ 
Nirbẖa▫o bẖa▫e sanṯ bẖaram ḏāri▫o pūran sarbāgi▫o. ||2|| 
I have become fearless; the Saint has removed my doubts. The All-knowing Lord is pervading everywhere. ||2|| 

ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰਤੈ ਕਾਰਣੁ ਕੀਨੋ ਮਨਿ ਬੁਰੋ  ਲਾਗਿਓ  
जो किछु करतै कारणु कीनो मनि बुरो न लागिओ ॥ 
Jo kicẖẖ karṯai kāraṇ kīno man buro na lāgi▫o. 
Whatever the Creator does, my mind is not troubled. 

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੈ ਸੋਇਓ ਮਨੁ ਜਾਗਿਓ ॥੩॥ 
साधसंगति परसादि संतन कै सोइओ मनु जागिओ ॥३॥ 
Sāḏẖsangaṯ parsāḏ sanṯan kai so▫i▫o man jāgi▫o. ||3|| 
By the Grace of the Saints and the Company of the Holy, my sleeping mind has been awakened. ||3|| 

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਓੜਿ ਤੁਹਾਰੀ ਪਰਿਓ ਆਇਓ ਸਰਣਾਗਿਓ  
जन नानक ओड़ि तुहारी परिओ आइओ सरणागिओ ॥ 
Jan Nānak oṛ ṯuhārī pari▫o ā▫i▫o sarṇāgi▫o. 
Servant Nanak seeks Your Support; he has come to Your Sanctuary. 

ਨਾਮ ਰੰਗ ਸਹਜ ਰਸ ਮਾਣੇ ਫਿਰਿ ਦੂਖੁ  ਲਾਗਿਓ ॥੪॥੨॥੧੬੦॥ 
नाम रंग सहज रस माणे फिरि दूखु न लागिओ ॥४॥२॥१६०॥ 
Nām rang sahj ras māṇe fir ḏūkẖ na lāgi▫o. ||4||2||160|| 
In the Love of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, he enjoys intuitive peace; pain no longer touches him. ||4||2||160|| 

Guest suggestion'_singh

sehi sundar sohne sadhsang jin behne..

dont waste your engery on your family. 

Take Amrit, naam jappo. Your parents will be angery for few days.

It will be all alright cnce they see that you look better with dastar.

Its Useless to talk to them. Have respect for them . Do not hate them for that.

Nanak naam ardadh sabhna te vadda, sabh nawe ageh aan naweh

Mahraj will change their heart by them.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa
vaheguru ji ki fateh, ji

Physical appearance is not really as valuable as our peers in this world may think.. It can sometimes cause hassles.

ਜੋਜਾਨੈਮੈਜੋਬਨਵੰਤੁ ॥ 
Jo jānai mai jobanvanṯ. 
ਸੋਹੋਵਤਬਿਸਟਾਕਾਜੰਤੁ ॥ 
So hovaṯ bistā kā janṯ. 

vaheguru ji ka khalsa
vaheguru ji ki fateh