Leather, Tabla of Goats Skin

Singh2017

On 11/4/2017 at 6:44 AM, MrDoaba said:

Tell that to all the Sikh owned veggie eateries which have menus just as long and extravagant as a place that serves meat, whose menus I might add, have an abundance of items designed to replicate the taste and texture of meat. Lets not also ignore the extortionate prices people are willing to pay for these pretend meat products - I guess they really have changed their tastebuds for Sikhi.

I would not like to address the question of meat here.

But I would like to address the limited issue of imitation of meat products, brother.

I do know that American vegans have come up with something called Tofurky which is supposed to imitate turkey, but this sort of thing is not served in Indian restaurants, whether they're Sikh-owned or not. And certainly not an abundance of imitation meat. Non-veg Indian restaurants do serve stuff like tandoori chicken, but veg Indian restaurants do not serve imitation chicken legs; they simply don't serve chicken, period.

Paneer is not something that was dreamt up in the 21st century in order to imitate meat. Milk has been around for very long time. Paneer is just one more way to create dairy products. It's not an imitation of meat, maybe somebody who's unfamiliar with Indian food could call it an imitation of tofu, itself veg.

3 hours ago, BhForce said:

I would not like to address the question of meat here.

But I would like to address the limited issue of imitation of meat products, brother.

I do know that American vegans have come up with something called Tofurky which is supposed to imitate turkey, but this sort of thing is not served in Indian restaurants, whether they're Sikh-owned or not. And certainly not an abundance of imitation meat. Non-veg Indian restaurants do serve stuff like tandoori chicken, but veg Indian restaurants do not serve imitation chicken legs; they simply don't serve chicken, period.

Paneer is not something that was dreamt up in the 21st century in order to imitate meat. Milk has been around for very long time. Paneer is just one more way to create dairy products. It's not an imitation of meat, maybe somebody who's unfamiliar with Indian food could call it an imitation of tofu, itself veg.

There are now many veg Indian takeaways (mostly owned by Sikhs) who do, infact, sell imitation drumsticks, that even go as far as to include an imitation bone, which is made of bamboo I believe. They also sell imitation chicken nuggets, imitation fish, and even imitation donner! These types of veg takeways have been around for a few years and are now gaining a lot of popularity all over the place.

Here is one such example, just look at their menu: https://en-gb.facebook.com/MrVeggiePizza/

Granted that most of these products are made out of something which itself is veg (soya, tofu, certain types of fungi) as you said, but the fact remains that they are created with the intent to replicate the taste, texture, and now even the experience of eating real meat. This comes back to my initial point - jeeb da svaad, and the notion that it somehow does not apply to vegetarians.

Paneer is a legit dairy product and I don't/won't include it as an imitation meat product. As far as I'm aware paneer was created to make use of milk which had gone bad or was at risk of going bad.

I'm not bashing those who eat this stuff, khao jo khaana ah - but I will bash them if they villainize those who eat meat with their flawed logic.

17 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

There are now many veg Indian takeaways (mostly owned by Sikhs) who do, infact, sell imitation drumsticks, that even go as far as to include an imitation bone, which is made of bamboo I believe. They also sell imitation chicken nuggets, imitation fish, and even imitation donner! These types of veg takeways have been around for a few years and are now gaining a lot of popularity all over the place.

Here is one such example, just look at their menu: https://en-gb.facebook.com/MrVeggiePizza/

Granted that most of these products are made out of something which itself is veg (soya, tofu, certain types of fungi) as you said, but the fact remains that they are created with the intent to replicate the taste, texture, and now even the experience of eating real meat. This comes back to my initial point - jeeb da svaad, and the notion that it somehow does not apply to vegetarians.

Paneer is a legit dairy product and I don't/won't include it as an imitation meat product. As far as I'm aware paneer was created to make use of milk which had gone bad or was at risk of going bad.

I'm not bashing those who eat this stuff, khao jo khaana ah - but I will bash them if they villainize those who eat meat with their flawed logic.

100% the Veggie patrol are just as hypocritical as the Meat munchers. Learn a thing from people like the old taksalis, Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji had so much respect for the Nihungs even though they ate meat. One issue didn't divide them and they were so much more united, nowadays we have psudeosikhs calling others sinners for eating a simple chicken stick, while they ravage their pakoras like no end.

3 hours ago, Kira said:

100% the Veggie patrol are just as hypocritical as the Meat munchers. Learn a thing from people like the old taksalis, Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji had so much respect for the Nihungs even though they ate meat. One issue didn't divide them and they were so much more united, nowadays we have psudeosikhs calling others sinners for eating a simple chicken stick, while they ravage their pakoras like no end.

Very true. 

21 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

OK, thanks for the clarification, and the link.

On the one hand, I don't see any problem with 

-veg sandwiches. There's nothing to say that each and every sandwich on this earth has the have the same exact ingredients as a Big Mac.

-veg kebabs: Nothing to say that if some people roast meat on a stick, that vegetarians can't roast sabzis on a stick

-veg pizza: Add whatever toppings you like or don't like. Even meat-eaters are picky about their preferred toppings.

But what in the world could possess someone to dream up "veg lamb kofta", "veg style chicken tikka", "veg pepperoni", "veg style meat feast", "veg fish"??

Again, while not getting into the question of meat per se, I would like to state that there's nothing that special about meat that you have to go to ridiculous extents to imitate it. I would not say that that is a healthy vegetarianism. To the contrary, I think that people who eat this sort of thing are setting themselves up for eventually eating meat, being as they are constantly conditioning their brain in a Pavlovian manner to crave and desire meat.