Jump to content
Singh2017

Reading Bani Fast

Recommended Posts

VJKK VJKF 

Sangat Ji, I know some people who are able to read Japji Sahib in about 9-10 minutes. They say they listen to themselves the whole time and they understand and hear themselves repeating the bani. Is this wrong to repeat bani fast?

Vaheguru Ji.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Singh2017 said:

VJKK VJKF 

Sangat Ji, I know some people who are able to read Japji Sahib in about 9-10 minutes. They say they listen to themselves the whole time and they understand and hear themselves repeating the bani. Is this wrong to repeat bani fast?

Vaheguru Ji.

WJKK WJKF

I listen to fast bani while reading it. This way I get the pronunciation right.

It is good to do it as long as they have full dhyaan and have full understanding on what they are reading.

WJKK WJKF

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some abhyasi gursikhs can read sukhmani Sahib in 20 minutes. But we must also reflect on gurbani. Read each line and don’t start singing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dsinghdp said:

Some abhyasi gursikhs can read sukhmani Sahib in 20 minutes. But we must also reflect on gurbani. Read each line and don’t start singing.

VJKK VJKF 

Wow that's proper cool man. 

Vaheguru Ji.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dsinghdp said:

Some abhyasi gursikhs can read sukhmani Sahib in 20 minutes. But we must also reflect on gurbani. Read each line and don’t start singing.

Woah! They must be speaking at super human speeds!!!!

Edited by NonExistant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NonExistant said:

Woah! They must be speaking at super human speeds!!!!

Fastest I've heard is 30 minutes for Sukhmani Sahib by a Singh from Hitchin (Herts) and this was back in '99 at the 300th anniversary of Khalsa Sirjana at Anandpur Sahib.  To read Gurbani faster it is read in the 'man' without moving tongue. Singh's who become experts at this then overlap with audible simran or vice versa so get double laha as a result concentration increases. 

My grandfather told me of a paathi Singh who could read one side of an ang with a single breath during raul, so imagine the speeds. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, InderjitS said:

Fastest I've heard is 30 minutes for Sukhmani Sahib by a Singh from Hitchin (Herts) and this was back in '99 at the 300th anniversary of Khalsa Sirjana at Anandpur Sahib.  To read Gurbani faster it is read in the 'man' without moving tongue. Singh's who become experts at this then overlap with audible simran or vice versa so get double laha as a result concentration increases. 

My grandfather told me of a paathi Singh who could read one side of an ang with a single breath during raul, so imagine the speeds. 

 

VJKK VJKF

That's mental. Sikhi proving science every single day. 

Vaheguru Ji.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VJKK VJKF 

I've tried reading Japji Sahib quite fast and I'm reading a lot more Japji Sahib now but is it wrong that I read more and sometimes my mind wanders for a few seconds at a time? It wasn't so bad at the beginning but as I started doing more my brain became more tired so I would still only wander for a few seconds but just it would happen more times whilst reading Japji Sahib. Any help as to if this is okay - is it okay that my mind wanders but I try to bring it back even though I think my mind wandering isn't totally caused by reading fast's. I think it's that I got really tired as I was coming towards to the end of my set goal so my mind waiver more but I was reading fast anyway so it just seemed twice as worse.

Vaheguru Ji.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Singh2017 said:

VJKK VJKF 

I've tried reading Japji Sahib quite fast and I'm reading a lot more Japji Sahib now but is it wrong that I read more and sometimes my mind wanders for a few seconds at a time? It wasn't so bad at the beginning but as I started doing more my brain became more tired so I would still only wander for a few seconds but just it would happen more times whilst reading Japji Sahib. Any help as to if this is okay - is it okay that my mind wanders but I try to bring it back even though I think my mind wandering isn't totally caused by reading fast's. I think it's that I got really tired as I was coming towards to the end of my set goal so my mind waiver more but I was reading fast anyway so it just seemed twice as worse.

Vaheguru Ji.

Why are you reading it fast? Any reason for this?

What’s more important is the love you read it with and that you are listening to what Gurbani is saying.

If you’re comfortable with reading it fast and not just doing it as a competition or rituals for the sake of getting so many done without respecting Gurbani, then ok. 

Your mind is wandering because you’re getting tired or maybe wanting to getting the paath done by a certain time, therefore you’re not getting a chance to listen to what Gurbani is saying.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ok to read Gurbani fast at personal level. Gursikhs who have long Nitnem can read extremely fast and with love. Everything depends on condition of surtee and whether it is steadfast. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • There are many pangtis on dreams. Here are some of what  Guruji says on dreams: ਮ੍ਰਿਗ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਅਰੁ ਸੁਪਨ ਮਨੋਰਥ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਕਛੁ ਨ ਵਡਾਈ ॥ 
      म्रिग त्रिसना अरु सुपन मनोरथ ता की कछु न वडाई ॥ 
      Marig ṯarisnā ar supan manorath ṯā kī kacẖẖ na vadā▫ī. 
      Optical illusions and dream-objects, to them, no greatness can be attached. 
        ਰਾਮ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਨੁ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵਸਿ ਸੰਗਿ ਨ ਕਾਹੂ ਜਾਈ ॥੨॥ 
      राम भजन बिनु कामि न आवसि संगि न काहू जाई ॥२॥ 
      Rām bẖajan bin kām na āvas sang na kāhū jā▫ī. ||2|| 
      Without the Lord's meditation nothing avails the mortal, nor anything goes with him.  SGGS ji Ang 615 🙏🏻 Dhan Guru Arjan Dev ji     ਜਗੁ ਸੁਪਨਾ ਬਾਜੀ ਬਨੀ ਖਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਖੇਲੁ ਖੇਲਾਇ ॥ 
      जगु सुपना बाजी बनी खिन महि खेलु खेलाइ ॥ 
      Jag supnā bājī banī kẖin mėh kẖel kẖelā▫e. 
      This world is like a drama staged in a dream, in a moment this play ends. 
        ਸੰਜੋਗੀ ਮਿਲਿ ਏਕਸੇ ਵਿਜੋਗੀ ਉਠਿ ਜਾਇ ॥ 
      संजोगी मिलि एकसे विजोगी उठि जाइ ॥ 
      Sanjogī mil ekse vijogī uṯẖ jā▫e. 
      Some attain to Master union and others in separation. 
        ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਣਾ ਸੋ ਥੀਐ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕਰਣਾ ਜਾਇ ॥੩॥ 
      जो तिसु भाणा सो थीऐ अवरु न करणा जाइ ॥३॥ 
      Jo ṯis bẖāṇā so thī▫ai avar na karṇā jā▫e. ||3|| 
      Whatever pleases Him, that comes to pass. Nothing else can be done.  SGGS ji Ang 18 🙏🏻 Dhan Guru Nanak Dev ji     ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੯ ॥ 
      सोरठि महला ९ ॥ 
      Soraṯẖ mėhlā 9. 
      Sorath 9th Guru. 
        ਰੇ ਨਰ ਇਹ ਸਾਚੀ ਜੀਅ ਧਾਰਿ ॥ 
      रे नर इह साची जीअ धारि ॥ 
      Re nar ih sācẖī jī▫a ḏẖār. 
      O man, hold this for certain in thy mind. 
        ਸਗਲ ਜਗਤੁ ਹੈ ਜੈਸੇ ਸੁਪਨਾ ਬਿਨਸਤ ਲਗਤ ਨ ਬਾਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ 
      सगल जगतु है जैसे सुपना बिनसत लगत न बार ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ 
      Sagal jagaṯ hai jaise supnā binsaṯ lagaṯ na bār. ||1|| rahā▫o. 
      As the whole world is like a dream, in its destruction, there shall be no delay. Pause.  SGGS ji Ang 633 🙏🏻 Dhan Guru Tegh Bahadur ji
    • You call yourself a Sardar but on this forum how have you been identified? I will tell you how... As a NINDAK. You may be keshdhari but that doesnt make you better than others. 
    • I always believe that if the dream is good and is Sikhi related then it's darshan. If it's about me falling off a mountain then I don't care about it.
    • there are other newer organised religions but they are offshoots from the older ones e.g.ba'hai
    • Ajeet Singh your sexual preferences are who you are, I am not disputing that or going to tell you that homosexuality is wrong. I personally have no issues with it but on a Sikhi level based on my knowledge I do not think its right. What annoys me is that you use this forum which is for Sikhi to boast about your preference in men etc. From when I was a monah and looked towards Sikhi and Singhs, it was the likes of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Baba Deep Singh Ji, Sant Jarnail Singh who inspired me to take the Sikhi saroop. If I had looked at Singhs who were homosexual, then I most likely wouldnt be where I am today. Be who you are, but be very careful the damage you can cause to the Quom by showing off about your sexual preferences in a Sikhi atmosphere. Look how many viral videos there are of 'Singhs' doing stupid stuff, lets not make a jaloos of our people and disrespect the blood of our shaheeds. Every Quom has got homosexuals, muslims probably got the most but yet they keep it in house or do not let it tarnish their dharam in any way.
×