Moving to Punjab from the UK

Guest Vanjara

Guest Vanjara

I've decided to hand in my notice at work and focus on myself for a little while. I'm a UK born and raised mid 20s male. I'm in search of "home". I can't stand the UK anymore... The weathers pure shieet and the people aren't much better. The only thing tying me down is my family and the comforts of British life. I've decided I'm moving to Punjab for at least 6months. I'll be living in Amritsar just around the corner from Darbar Sahib, renting an apartment. I need the time away from work family everything here to focus on myself and hopefully build on my sikhi.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Any recommendations? Stuff to pack take with me? Places to visit? Thank you in advance.

I have an OCI visa. Basically on my visa photo I was mona short hair clean shaven etc. I've since grown my Kesh and now wear a dastar. My passport photo is a current photo. Do you think this could be an issue? Should I renew my OCI visa because of the change of appearance? I imagine this will be a lengthy process... Anyone done this?

Thank you sangat ji in advance. Hope to hear from you guys soon :) wish me luck ha

19 hours ago, Guest Vanjara said:

I've decided to hand in my notice at work and focus on myself for a little while. I'm a UK born and raised mid 20s male. I'm in search of "home". I can't stand the UK anymore... The weathers pure shieet and the people aren't much better. The only thing tying me down is my family and the comforts of British life. I've decided I'm moving to Punjab for at least 6months. I'll be living in Amritsar just around the corner from Darbar Sahib, renting an apartment. I need the time away from work family everything here to focus on myself and hopefully build on my sikhi.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Any recommendations? Stuff to pack take with me? Places to visit? Thank you in advance.

I have an OCI visa. Basically on my visa photo I was mona short hair clean shaven etc. I've since grown my Kesh and now wear a dastar. My passport photo is a current photo. Do you think this could be an issue? Should I renew my OCI visa because of the change of appearance? I imagine this will be a lengthy process... Anyone done this?

Thank you sangat ji in advance. Hope to hear from you guys soon :) wish me luck ha

this difference in look will be pounced on by stupid indian bureaucracy ...but if they have already put the visa onto your current passport number then you may be ok , check it over here before buying your ticket. be careful at airports never let your eyes be distracted from your passport , pages may get ripped from your book has happened to others.

19 hours ago, Guest Vanjara said:

Stuff to pack? Toothbrushes toothpaste, etc, the basic essentials obviously. And 6months supplies of clothes and whatever you need that you can’t get over there. Also access to money, as what we you live off if you’re not going to be working there? 

1 hour ago, SinghG said:

Punjab is not the same as decades ago.. you have to street smart in your day to day dealings to live there.

Spiritually, it is the best place to be...!!

Agree with SinghG, unless you have caring friends/relatives there, it’s hard to trust people, no matter how convincing they may look. Spiritually you need to be strong to challenge and tolerate the negativity there. On the other hand, you may be lucky and meet some good souls. But be prepared and you better have thought it through properly, as 6months is a long time. 

Some of our elderly relatives go quite often, normally for about 6months before, but they’ve cut down now as it’s not the same anymore. And as Jkvlondon penji says, be cautious of the airport and airline staff and cab drivers, and leave a copy of your passport details in UK, in case you lose them there. One of our relatives, took the wrong passport, and was stuck there for ages, until the family could verify he was a British citizen. They wouldn’t let him come back. 

But, apart from all that, best wishes for visting the Gurdwaras and historical and spiritual places. It’s worth going for that. Maybe you could visit some organisations  that do Seva there.