Is there any difference between Naam Simran and Reading Bani?

Singh2017

1 minute ago, MrDoaba said:

May I ask how missed out on doing simran and replaced it with a lot of paath? Did you miss out simran on a number of days and then do lots of paath in one go? Do specifically make time to do paath and simran or do it while completing your day to day tasks?

VJKK VJKF 

Yes - so I recently have been lacking with simran so now I'm just doing many hours of paath instead and aim to continue that even after I catch up with the hours of simran lost. 

Vaheguru Ji. 

1 minute ago, Singh2017 said:

VJKK VJKF 

Yes - so I recently have been lacking with simran so now I'm just doing many hours of paath instead and aim to continue that even after I catch up with the hours of simran lost. 

Vaheguru Ji. 

Is there something in particular preventing you from doing simran when you would normally do it?

I see. I think it's quite common to feel this way. Doing more paath to make up for the lost simran is fine in theory, usually it's the other way around - people doing more simran to make up for lost paath. If you're having trouble concentrating try breaking your simran up into segments, I'm sure 10mins of simran given your full concentration is worth more than one hour without.

Also take into consideration how essential simran is - Gurbani talks about Naam, the infinite greatness of it, and that without it there is nothing. Through Gurbani the value of Naam Simran will become apparent and you will feel that connection. You're already well on your on way with this.

Naam is the essence of Gurbani and Gurbani is the essence of Naam.

Reading the  Bani and doing Simran are both interrelated. Just as cooking food, and then eating it. 

But if we cook, and then do not eat, how can our hunger for the Truth(Wahiguru) ever be satisfied?

The Bani is nothing, but the mahanta, the praises of Wahiguru and Naam as His essence, His real form.

In order to become one with Him,one has to dissolve oneself, one has to cease existing, then only He is, and we are not.

And this brother, can only happen when we engage in His bhakti only through His Simran.

That is why the Bani says: Jin Har japeeya se Har hoeeya. 

This is the only objective of us as human beings : Wahiguru Akal Purukh, through His contemplation, His Dhyan in our chit.

Futher on the bani also says: Prabh kay simran dargah manni

In His Court/Darbar, His Simran is accepted, as per means of true devotion, sewa, bhakti.

Sat Sree Akal.

Let us first ask ourselves, why do we do any sort of spiritual practices?

is it not, to become pure enough and in the end become one with Him?

Following are the words of Panchvee Patshahee Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj, where He shows us the supreme importance of His Naaam japna, above any other practices.

For when our time of departure comes to leave this plane of consciousness, it is only the kamaee we did of his Naam japna, which will go with us, and be our aid, to guide us until we reach Him.

ਅਵਰ ਕਰਤੂਤਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਜਮੁ ਡਾਨੈ

Avar Karathooth Sagalee Jam Ddaanai

All other efforts are punished by the Messenger of Death

ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਨੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਨਹੀ ਮਾਨੈ

Govindh Bhajan Bin Thil Nehee Maanai ||

Which accepts nothing at all, except meditation on the Lord of the Universe

Sat Sree Akal.