SinghG

Why do sikhs celebrate bandi chhor divas so much !!

@sikhni777 you are talking about your family penji. But as far as I know, our family have always been Sikhs. My ancestors were Sikh and even from my mother’s side the ancestors have been Sikhs as far back as I’m told. Even before Sikhi, it does not mean one came from Hindus or Muslims. That only applies to the ancestoral background at that time. I’ll say it again, Sikhs do not come from Hindus as you’ve stated. Sikhi has its own identity. No offence to your family, but its quite interesting as it’s only your after your great grandfather that are Sikhs? As far as I’m aware of, it goes back quite far in ours. But I understand what you mean by saying the ancestors could have been a religion other than Sikh back then. 

• Like 1

Look up the "Turiya" group on Facebook they have a very interesting thread open discussing i whether there is any Ithiasic evidence that Sikhs celebrated Bandi Chor Divas...or whether it is a modern invention by hinduphobic Sikhs.

They point to Suraj Prakash and panth Prakash which apparently details where Guru Hargobind Maharaj celebrated Divali with Sikhs...

On 20/10/2017 at 6:38 PM, monatosingh said:

I don't know but I am pretty sure Dhan Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji was not sent to prison. The 6th Nanak (Dhan Dhan Guru Hargobind Singh Ji) was in prison and got Kings released hence why Bandi Chhor Divas is celebrated.

yes he was when he confronted Babur by calling him a Jhabbar ...that is where he was in dhian of Akal Purakh and the chakki was grinding the wheat/corn untouched this was witnessed by the guards and they ran to Babur and told him he has made a great mistake to imprison a man of God 

On 20/10/2017 at 5:15 PM, sikhni777 said:

If we look back into history and see where we came from i.e from the Hindus, then you may understand more about this topic. I think when Hindus  first born sons were being given to become Sikhs, they wanted something at least that they could celebrate together. Hence the Hindu part of the family would celebrate Diwali and then the Sikhs would be celebrating the Bhandhi shor diwas.

Many other youngsters would have more questions of this sort. Well the answer is Who stopped you from celebrating anything in any way? We have had mothers days, fathers days and many others etc added to our list of celebrations. My son was asking me in tears just the other day when the Happy childrens day is going to be? 

Many Sikhs have got Hindu ways of celebrating Diwali. I think the word Bhandhi shor has now recently come into force by way of media. My mum had a diva and many people from the older generation still believe in keeping a light on so that the Goddess Laxmi can visit their house and there will be plentiful money. 

Long story short - celebrate whatever you want. No ones stopping you. Hold a sehaj path at the Guradwara and call your relatives and say it is in memory of Guru Nanak Dev Ji coming out of prison. Research and tell them about your speech. Or call a giani Ji for special katha. Hold a special evening at your home and invite your relatives or friends and tell them about Guru Ji. Wouldn't they just be thrilled ?

You decide what to celebrate and when and how. The problem is that we are just not focused enough to celebrate special moments in Sikhi. Some people in some places are taking the lead. 

All our Guru Sahiban have introduce new gurmukh ways of parallel celebrating by rememberance of Akal Purakh for the big celebrations of other faiths e.g. vaisakh, dusshera, diwali ...this lighting of divey is traditional as they used light to represent the chanan that is Guru ji blessing them  not to wish lakshmi to come into their homes because Guru Sahiban made it clear that gurmukhs will be served by maya/lakshmi they are sewak of Akal Purakh. Vahim and bharam afflict our kaum because of losing touch of our own history books and reliance on Hindu/christian even muslim commentators

• Like 1

Well Sikhs have been celebrating Diwali long before the events pertaining to Bandi Chhorr Divas occurred. Guru Amar Das Ji, who instructed that we celebrate Diwali, not for the return of Ram, however for the remembrance that good prevails over evil, and that we should always "enlight" ourselves over ignorance. We should also celebrate Bandi Chhor Divas as well, as it is again the victory of good over evil, however it is also the celebration of our Guru (Guru Hargobind Singh Ji) returning from  captivity. So there you have it.

Edited by TejS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TejS said:

Well Sikhs have been celebrating Diwali long before the events pertaining to Bandi Chhorr Divas occurred. It was our second guru, Guru Amar Das Ji, who instructed that we celebrate Diwali, not for the return of Ram, however for the remembrance that good prevails over evil, and that we should always "enlight" ourselves over ignorance. 

Interesting. What is your source for this? 

15 hours ago, TejS said:

Well Sikhs have been celebrating Diwali long before the events pertaining to Bandi Chhorr Divas occurred. It was our second guru, Guru Amar Das Ji, who instructed that we celebrate Diwali, not for the return of Ram, however for the remembrance that good prevails over evil, and that we should always "enlight" ourselves over ignorance. We should also celebrate Bandi Chhor Divas as well, as it is again the victory of good over evil, however it is also the celebration of our Guru (Guru Hargobind Singh Ji) returning from  captivity. So there you have it.

Guru Amar Das Ji was our third Guru.

• Like 1

Why is Diwali Important To Sikhs?

The Third Sikh Teacher, Guru Amar Das institutionalized this as one of the special days when all

Sikhs would gather to receive the Gurus blessings at Goindwal. In 1577 the foundation stone of

The Golden Temple was laid on Diwali. The Diwali festival took place during the life of the

sixth Sikh Guru Hargobind Sahib. The Muslim Emperor Jahengir, imprisoned the Guru and 52

Kings.The Emperor ruled India at this time. The Asian Indians begged the Emperor to release the

Guru and the Emperor agreed but the Gurus said also release the kings. Guru ji had a gown made

with 52 string pieces for the Hindus to hold. The Guru and the Hindu kings were also freed at

Diwali, Sikhs were very happy when their leader was released. Guru Hargobind Sahib went to

the Golden Temple Amritsar in the Punjab. Sikh Diwali is recalled throughout India and in many

countries; each year to remember Guru ji's release. At Diwali we worship the religious freedom

for Sikhs and this is why Diwali is called the Light Festival. As Guru's Mother was full of

happiness that her son was released she ordered food and sweets and gave them to everyone. The

worshippers float multi-coloured light candles on the water at the Golden Temple. The gurdwara,

hold a grand fireworks display.

http://www.elsiegurdwara.org/Diwali.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSinghnz said:

Guru Amar Das Ji was our third Guru.

Thank you for correcting my unpardonable error. I suppose it was a brain fart. 

• Thanks 1