Dsinghdp

Christianity in UK

On 23/10/2017 at 7:02 PM, simran345 said:

Not sure how to make them higher, but more education and awareness to those that don’t attend Gurdwaras in the first place or as much.

The Basics of Sikhi street parchar is a good idea, if that’s done by other Sikh organisations also may help towards it. 

If I may add, I think Gurdwaras should hold counselling sessions, health awareness days and that type of community projects to bring in more sangat, aswell as more talks in English for the youth and for those that don’t understand Gurbani so well. Even having Gurmukhi classes for adults who don’t know how to read and write Gurmukhi would attract more sangat. 

A lot of gurdwarae darbar halls are now fitted with projectors uses for translations in English.

If you observe with BOS at Park Avenue Southall Gurdwara on Sunday evening, they are full. English is a big factor and they are of a much younger sangat.

I remember a talk done by Jagraj Singh who mentioned that Gurdwarae in the west have large darbar halls and in Punjab and India the darbar are not that large.

The design of the darbar is very different in the west. 

The last of your paragraph is very telling of the expectations for a Western Sikh.

I believe gurdwarae already do quite a lot more for the Sangat then we realise but this is not publicised like the negative stuff.

People expect things to be handed all these things on a silver platter but the thing is the hands of the Sangat.

Gurdwarae are self sustaining ecosystems  (this is the genius of our Gurus).

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The last of your paragraph is very telling of the expectations for a Western Sikh.

Not really, it's something that Gurdwaras in the pinds of India could do as well. It's all about getting the community on the right path and to help them, such as elders. They're not going to go to community centres where there's people from different faiths/religions.  They are more likely to go where somebody speaks their mother tongue, and the Gurdwara is normally where they are more comfortable going.  In the West, we have Health services that do it, but a lot of people from our community don't know about these things.  Just giving them awareness of it is what's needed.  There aren't many Gurdwaras that do this, apart from the towns that have a higher Sikh population.  But even then it's not publicised enough, people normally find out after the event, or they'll advertise it a day before.  

The Gurdwara is Bhagti da ghar, so it's a matter of making that balance and getting sangat involved  also.  Also funding is an issue, these things aren't free, as it getting health professionals to come and do talks etc.  

19 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

People expect things to be handed all these things on a silver platter but the thing is the hands of the Sangat.

I guess you're right about this, then it becomes like a community centre and not a Gurdwara. 

Edited by simran345
Spelling mistake.

Christianity in the UK since ww2 hasn't been 'in your face'. Just like most other religions, there are those who 'identify' themselves as Christians, but a smaller percentage of those who 'practice' Christianity. I've known quite a few younger Christians over the years and their devotion to their path shouldn't be questioned just because they don't 'shout about it'. British Christianity is very different to African or evangelical paths. Likewise its very different to the American Christians. Afterall in the West, the US Christians are the most powerful 'religious' block in the world. In 'elite' uni's and institutions you also get strong Christian groupings. So what I'm saying is that numbers are not that relevant. The Christian population is also changing radically in the UK (I remember a politician in the 1990s saying one of the reasons certain politicians were pushing for expansion of the EU was to 'inject' more younger Christians into the UK from places like Poland). We should also thank the Christians for things like the 'Alpha' course which as been used by folks in our community as an example of how to formalise/structure educating people about their faith. 

Oh and we've got a huge demographic bomb coming in our community in the next 20+ years. If you look at the gurdwareh we have, then you'll see that they are run by the older generation (grand parents / great grand parents) for their day to day running. Plus a fair number of recent 'migrants' from the panjab helping out. But the numbers of these people are becoming fewer, yet we have the same number of gurdwareh which will start to close over the next few decades. 

In general the UK  Christian population is becoming atheist, Islam is having more of Impact followed by Sikhism.In my city we have strong  Sikh population followed by  muslims and Christianity. The hindu population is not low by any means but there is only one  Hindu temple which is run more like business then place of worship. The opening hours are very limited, 10am till 12pm and 5 PM till 8PM. The temple has  access to sky spots  and the pundit would rather watch cricket then do his job lol. 

Most Hindu's in my city opt to to the Gudwara's instead. Fair play to them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1