Saying waheguru in conversation

Guest Guest

Just a question, why do most sikhs not say gods name regularly compared to other religions/faiths.

For example, I've heated muslims say "MashAllah" when they praise something, "alhamdulillah" after sneezing or coughing, "InshAllah" when talking about something they want or will achieve in the future.

Christain friends I have, especially the African or Jamaicans also mention god while talking, they will say "praise the lord" when something good happens "god bless you" when someone sneezes "Jesus be with me" when in trouble....

sikhs however hardly ever say any god words while talking especially the generation of age from teens to 40 plus.... even my parents who are in the 50s never say god and may occasionally say "waheguru" and this is usly when something shocking happens (near miss accident etc...) I've heard some sikhs say "rab raka" when saying bye but that's about it... 

when I say wahegury while talking people treat me like a pendu... even my mum told me to stop saying waheguru all the time. For example I will say "By wahwgurua mere will apply for the management role" or when some one sneezes I will say "waheguru satnam" or if someone trips or falls I say "waheguru" or if I see a little child and I think they are cute I will say "waheguru,how cute she/he is" just like how muslims do to prevent nazar they say MashAllah how cute he she is... same way I use waheguru instead. But people look at me funny, as though I am saying something silly..one friend even told me that they feel embarrassed by my constant hasp of naam during conversations.

why is it that other faiths say gods name with ease while use punjabis/ sikhs find it embarrassing or silly to say gods name in causal conversation?    

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

when I say wahegury while talking people treat me like a pendu... even my mum told me to stop saying waheguru all the time. For example I will say "By wahwgurua mere will apply for the management role" or when some one sneezes I will say "waheguru satnam" or if someone trips or falls I say "waheguru" or if I see a little child and I think they are cute I will say "waheguru,how cute she/he is" just like how muslims do to prevent nazar they say MashAllah how cute he she is... same way I use waheguru instead. But people look at me funny, as though I am saying something silly..one friend even told me that they feel embarrassed by my constant hasp of naam during conversations.

Don't worry about them. They see it as an embarrassment because they don't have that courage that you have of saying is out aloud.  As long you're not saying it to look good or for drama and feel comfortable with it, then carry on. 

I think we are just not used to hearing the word Waheguru used as much these days. In the olden times, our elders used it much more esp during the evening times. I remember my grandma using it everytime someone had a fall or a sneeze. 

OOthat bethat sovaat naam

when we awake, sit down, stand up or get ready to sleep we need to say the naam - Waheguru or Satnaam or any other which you are comfortable with.

I remember a bibi using it when we were at a playgroup with young kids and mixed race mums. She very loudly asked her son to finish up his fruit and say thankyou to Waheguru. I was left wondering inwardly how she got all that courage. She talked about Waheguru all the time. How Waheguru gave her the courage to look after her 5 kids. How Waheguru was helping her day in and day out. She definitely did make a good impact on me. 

Therefore keep it up - even if you make a difference to one person - it is still worth it. The ten others who deny and put you down might one day wonder about it and get the courage to stand up and say the words in front of others with all the bravery they can muster.

16 hours ago, Guest Harleen said:

I dislike when a kathawachak in between of a katha just try to giggles and say, aakho waheguru”

maybe you should consider that he is trying to relax and refocus sangat who is actually listening to the message . if it bothers you do nam jap all the way whilst listening and also consider why it should bother you so much

4 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

maybe you should consider that he is trying to relax and refocus sangat who is actually listening to the message . if it bothers you do nam jap all the way whilst listening and also consider why it should bother you so much

That’s a good suggestion. It shouldn’t bother anybody, in fact motivate them. 

On 16/10/2017 at 10:48 AM, Guest Guest said:

Just a question, why do most sikhs not say gods name regularly compared to other religions/faiths.

For example, I've heated muslims say "MashAllah" when they praise something, "alhamdulillah" after sneezing or coughing, "InshAllah" when talking about something they want or will achieve in the future.

Christain friends I have, especially the African or Jamaicans also mention god while talking, they will say "praise the lord" when something good happens "god bless you" when someone sneezes "Jesus be with me" when in trouble....

sikhs however hardly ever say any god words while talking especially the generation of age from teens to 40 plus.... even my parents who are in the 50s never say god and may occasionally say "waheguru" and this is usly when something shocking happens (near miss accident etc...) I've heard some sikhs say "rab raka" when saying bye but that's about it... 

when I say wahegury while talking people treat me like a pendu... even my mum told me to stop saying waheguru all the time. For example I will say "By wahwgurua mere will apply for the management role" or when some one sneezes I will say "waheguru satnam" or if someone trips or falls I say "waheguru" or if I see a little child and I think they are cute I will say "waheguru,how cute she/he is" just like how muslims do to prevent nazar they say MashAllah how cute he she is... same way I use waheguru instead. But people look at me funny, as though I am saying something silly..one friend even told me that they feel embarrassed by my constant hasp of naam during conversations.

why is it that other faiths say gods name with ease while use punjabis/ sikhs find it embarrassing or silly to say gods name in causal conversation?    

don't worry bhain ji ,

when it is popping up on your tongue , its just your body continuing simran at the back of your mind and the occasional one comes forward into your convo. if your friends are so sensitive maybe they should sit and think why , presuming they are Kaurs and need to be doing naam jap to help themselves . 

i also say Waheguru when sneezing, surprised, sleeping and turning...i think the cutest thing I've seen is sangat sleeping at an Akhand paat (downstairs) and sardar and his sardarni taking turns doing subconcious waheguru jap in response to hearing the other . if we remember our support, maker and love what is the problem ? nothing...so be happy

2 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

don't worry bhain ji ,

when it is popping up on your tongue , its just your body continuing simran at the back of your mind and the occasional one comes forward into your convo. if your friends are so sensitive maybe they should sit and think why , presuming they are Kaurs and need to be doing naam jap to help themselves . 

i also say Waheguru when sneezing, surprised, sleeping and turning...i think the cutest thing I've seen is sangat sleeping at an Akhand paat (downstairs) and sardar and his sardarni taking turns doing subconcious waheguru jap in response to hearing the other . if we remember our support, maker and love what is the problem ? nothing...so be happy

My grandma used to say it a lot. And I’ve picked it up from her, sometimes I don’t realise I’m saying it, like I’ll be in the supermarket and I’ll say Waheguru if I’m tired, and all the punjabis look at me lol. 

Just now, simran345 said:

My grandma used to say it a lot. And I’ve picked it up from her, sometimes I don’t realise I’m saying it, like I’ll be in the supermarket and I’ll say Waheguru if I’m tired, and all the punjabis look at me lol. 

certainly better than turning the air blue ,,,especially when getting cut up in traffic^_^