superkaur

Name and shame corrupt Gurdwara commitee's that put business before sangat and parchar

There's actually people here trying to defend Leamington Gurdwara? Lol.

This Gurdwara and it's dodgy commitee have a long history of anti Sikh practices and pig headed ego to go against the panth:

-  Leamington Gurdwara was a focal point for interfaith marriages, the commitee even hired private security firms to try and stop protestors and encouraged weddings on weekdays etc to try and go "under the radar". They also tried to create a rogue group of Gurdwaras and engage with the police to get protestors arrested if they tried to stop interfaith marriages. They called the police on peaceful protestors and told lies that the protestors broke down doors and assaulted sangat and had several weapons which caused a heavy handed police presence and response.

- They attempted to build a party hall and bar on Gurdwara premises , and the commitee were forced to appear on Sikh channel to explain themselves. A planning permission request was submitted for this purpose.

- They refuse to let anybody speak on stage against the consumption of alcohol etc.

Various committee members past and presentwho I will not name have very chequered pasts...some of which were being sued for defamation by some amritdharee Singh's.

Leamington Punjabis themselves doesn't have a particularly good reputation...Girls known for sleeping around etc, guys known for being druggys and alcoholics... 

There are also other dodgy Gurdwaras as well in Leicester known for sham interfaith Anand Karan ceremonies as well as Leeds and Bradford. 

2 hours ago, Cisco_Singh said:

There's actually people here trying to defend Leamington Gurdwara? Lol.

This Gurdwara and it's dodgy commitee have a long history of anti Sikh practices and pig headed ego to go against the panth:

-  Leamington Gurdwara was a focal point for interfaith marriages, the commitee even hired private security firms to try and stop protestors and encouraged weddings on weekdays etc to try and go "under the radar". They also tried to create a rogue group of Gurdwaras and engage with the police to get protestors arrested if they tried to stop interfaith marriages. They called the police on peaceful protestors and told lies that the protestors broke down doors and assaulted sangat and had several weapons which caused a heavy handed police presence and response.

- They attempted to build a party hall and bar on Gurdwara premises , and the commitee were forced to appear on Sikh channel to explain themselves. A planning permission request was submitted for this purpose.

- They refuse to let anybody speak on stage against the consumption of alcohol etc.

Various committee members past and presentwho I will not name have very chequered pasts...some of which were being sued for defamation by some amritdharee Singh's.

Leamington Punjabis themselves doesn't have a particularly good reputation...Girls known for sleeping around etc, guys known for being druggys and alcoholics... 

There are also other dodgy Gurdwaras as well in Leicester known for sham interfaith Anand Karan ceremonies as well as Leeds and Bradford. 

Well said bro, Leam like i said, for a place with a high 'Sikh' population is mainly a mess. Dharam seva lot have done well to turn the tide, but the average punjabi is either on the 'im jatt' sharabi vibe, or thinking they are white. The girls particularly the younger ones are mainly with non apneh mundeh, while the older ones (the majority) had bad reputations too. The commitee is a joke and even the kids of well known Singhs from this area are not close to Sikhi. Like I also said before, writing this doesnt give me any pleasure, its very sad.

Indirectly related to title of the thread, Woolwich Gurdwara (Calderwell St) do not allow any pictures of Guru in Darbar Sahib, which I disagree with

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Indirectly related to title of the thread, Woolwich Gurdwara (Calderwell St) do not allow any pictures of Guru in Darbar Sahib, which I disagree with

why ? Gurbani is the true roop of Guru ji and tyar bar tyar Guru Khalsa Panth ji  what else needs to be seen ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

why ? Gurbani is the true roop of Guru ji and tyar bar tyar Guru Khalsa Panth ji  what else needs to be seen ?

What about people whose learning style is more visually inclined? Could help them along the way.

• Like 1

They should be named and shamed.

These types have no qualms about doing bad but don't like being exposed.

4 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

What about people whose learning style is more visually inclined? Could help them along the way.

what happened to so  many generations of gursikhs who never saw Guru ji or his tasveers  were they incomplete ? Did their faith and understanding have some lack?

• Like 1

How about instead of always highlighting those who are failing , we Highlight those who are doing well and have had the initiative to change and make people's lives better... surely putting our attention and energy on highlighting them will enlarge the effect they have- either by informing unaware people in their locales, and inspiring other gurdwarey to get their acts together. I am so tired of the Crabs in a bucket mentality , i.e. if I am in the wrong I will drag any other sikh down to my level

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

what happened to so  many generations of gursikhs who never saw Guru ji or his tasveers  were they incomplete ? Did their faith and understanding have some lack?

They weren't bombarded with as much imagery as we are today. Or other types of music for that matter. They weren't exposed to a continuous stream of information - their brains were wired differently.

Just now, MrDoaba said:

They weren't bombarded with as much imagery as we are today. Or other types of music for that matter. They weren't exposed to a continuous stream of information - their brains were wired differently.

they were wired just the same as us , evolutionary changes don't happen in  hundreds of years more like ten of thousands.  Kalyug was around them then as it is around us now ... they had open warfare, corrupt kings, lawlessness , bounty hunters and slavery to contend with, we just have TV programmes and pop charts surely we can rip ourselves away from these small easily dealt with distractions . We have to harden up our minds and stop with the excuses

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

they were wired just the same as us , evolutionary changes don't happen in  hundreds of years more like ten of thousands.  Kalyug was around them then as it is around us now ... they had open warfare, corrupt kings, lawlessness , bounty hunters and slavery to contend with, we just have TV programmes and pop charts surely we can rip ourselves away from these small easily dealt with distractions . We have to harden up our minds and stop with the excuses

You're blowing this way out of proportion. I'm not talking about evolutionary changes. I'm talking simply about the way we perceive things and respond to stimuli - this has changed over the years. The constant influx of information we are exposed to today has changed the way we process it - we need more stimulation to produce a response - at least in the early stages of ones journey. Regardless of this, we know how closely the senses are linked and how humans are inclined towards one more than the other. Even if we take all of the above out of the equation, symbolic imagery and practise have been a part of Sikhi since the beginning. So where's the harm in a few pictures here or there?

Do bear in mind I'm not saying they should be the focal point or even anywhere near the focal point.

Either way I don't understand why you and so many other people are anti-imagery. It's a dangerous trend which has led to such deep objection of anything visually pleasing in a bid to bring back the supposed Gurdwaras of old, that some now look like the inside of a conference hall.

• Like 1

Sikhism flourishes more in areas with large Muslim communities.Leamington is a prominent white middle-class town with a large Sikh community.So you can imagine the outcome, high on assimilation and low on Amritharis. hopefully, the growth of the Muslim population in Leamington will embarrass the Punjabis into following their faith.

8 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

You're blowing this way out of proportion. I'm not talking about evolutionary changes. I'm talking simply about the way we perceive things and respond to stimuli - this has changed over the years. The constant influx of information we are exposed to today has changed the way we process it - we need more stimulation to produce a response - at least in the early stages of ones journey. Regardless of this, we know how closely the senses are linked and how humans are inclined towards one more than the other. Even if we take all of the above out of the equation, symbolic imagery and practise have been a part of Sikhi since the beginning. So where's the harm in a few pictures here or there?

Do bear in mind I'm not saying they should be the focal point or even anywhere near the focal point.

Either way I don't understand why you and so many other people are anti-imagery. It's a dangerous trend which has led to such deep objection of anything visually pleasing in a bid to bring back the supposed Gurdwaras of old, that some now look like the inside of a conference hall.

jumping to conclusions much ...I appreciate that art has a purpose just as raag it enhances a sentiment/emotion e.g. the picture of Baba Deep SIngh drawing the rekha in the sand  stirs a determined and steadfast belief in Guru ji , but whereas Raag plays a secondary place to the Gurbani and thus is less likely to become the addictive thing it could be , an artist's kalapana can distort the event/person depicted to suit an agenda and thus create a subconcious bias e.g. Guru Nanak Dev ji was a white hair baba always except when he was a baby , when most of his active lifespan was spent spreading  Dhur ki bani so most people would have seen a young strong Man  with a slightly older companion  gives a different feel to Jagannath Puri , Benares , Kaaba sakhis...

5 hours ago, joker said:

Sikhism flourishes more in areas with large Muslim communities.Leamington is a prominent white middle-class town with a large Sikh community.So you can imagine the outcome, high on assimilation and low on Amritharis. hopefully, the growth of the Muslim population in Leamington will embarrass the Punjabis into following their faith.

you sure it's not the other way around where sikhs flourish these guys set up home 

13 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Either way I don't understand why you and so many other people are anti-imagery. It's a dangerous trend which has led to such deep objection of anything visually pleasing in a bid to bring back the supposed Gurdwaras of old, that some now look like the inside of a conference hall.

I agree with your post. Most of us are not of uchi avastha to know what our Guru's appearance was without pictures/paintings, and if done in a good way, brings us closer to Sikhi

• Thanks 1