What is the right time to take amrit?

Guest Kaur 2

4 minutes ago, monatosingh said:

There is no age limit for joining the Khalsa. Proof is when you see a toddler that is has taken amrit. The panj pyare don't care otherwise.

Now if you want to start here is some basic rules:

Do not eat meat or egg (and nothing with meat/egg)

Do not commit adultery before marriage.

Stay away from the 4 bujjar kuherits.

Follow rehat as strictly as possible.

Now at some point you will be mind struck when someone tells you one thing and someone else tells you another. The problem comes when you choose a Jatha.

I made a post about Jathebandi's and Puratan Jathe. Just don't get mixed up with them. What I do is quite simple, I always say to myself that we are all brothers and sisters of the Khalsa Panth. There is no other 'panth'. There might be Jathebandian but not any other Panth!

Rehat maryada: http://www.gurunanakdarbar.net/sikhrehatmaryada.pdf

All I can say penji is that follow the rehat and basic Sikhi principles and you will know when the time is right.

I wanted to take amrit a long time ago and I didn't realize you had to read PANJ baania at 3 AM. 

Anyways, good luck on your journey and you will be blessed with amrit in life definitely no doubt. Your family will be supportive and if they don't you know who to turn to for help :)

Thanks for your response veerji it really helps but my mum isn't allowing me to take amrit yet. I really want to but since she is older than me I have to respect her command. Please tell me what to do because I am only 13 and don't know anything. I go to a sikhi class every Saturday, and I followed Guru Gobind Singh Ji's hukam to learn martial arts so I do that also. I love doing vaheguru simran and I still do good at school to make sure my mum doesn't stop me from going sikhi class and martial arts. Please tell me some more tips that I can follow to strengthen my faith even more. Thanks.

VJKK VJKF

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chamkaur Sahib
11 hours ago, Guest Kaur 2 said:

The only issue is that I am 13 but I love Vaheguru so much. It is so unexplainable. I got into Sikhi about a year ago. I do not at all regret it. I just hope one day, Vaheguru will be able to realise the amount of love I have for Him.

VJKK VJKF

Fair, we will never be able to love Guru, the Universe, Waheguru enough. Just this life it self is so beautiful, I can't explain. It's just so wonderful the order of the Universe and it's vast wilderness. 

I am assuming you are in Canada, my sister, so stay connected to a good sangat. There are are a lot of good camps, I AM KAUR, Kaurs Camp, Sikh Youth Federation, Basics & Beyond. So, if you don't know Gurmukhi, learn that. You can honestly learn in one month. Especially at your age, you will have the most time now. 

For me, I fell in a deeper love by learning 4/5 Baanis. Even though, I didn't understand Jaap Sahib, my love for Guru Ji would just increase everytime. Don't fall into the trap where people say "don't read Baani if you don't understand it". Obviously, you want to listen to Kattha (lectures) to obtain gyaan about the meanings, but you can do that later. 

Everyone's experience is going to be different. GO WITH YOUR GUT.  This is all I can say: Never stop listening/reciting Gurbaani. Sangat is very important. And anything that else that makes you want to spread love (seva, listening to The Battle of Chamkaur Sahib, helping out in the community, working out, etc). 

15 hours ago, Guest Kaur 2 said:

Thanks for your response veerji it really helps but my mum isn't allowing me to take amrit yet. I really want to but since she is older than me I have to respect her command. Please tell me what to do because I am only 13 and don't know anything. I go to a sikhi class every Saturday, and I followed Guru Gobind Singh Ji's hukam to learn martial arts so I do that also. I love doing vaheguru simran and I still do good at school to make sure my mum doesn't stop me from going sikhi class and martial arts. Please tell me some more tips that I can follow to strengthen my faith even more. Thanks.

VJKK VJKF

Now most people would take amrit secretly and people just say that your parents will be fussed for only 2 days after that they won't care.

Honestly, you don't need your mother's permission because the panj pyare only care about YOU taking amrit and following hukam.

But I wouldn't take it secretly.

Are there any reasons why your mum is saying no?

21 hours ago, Guest Chamkaur Sahib said:

Fair, we will never be able to love Guru, the Universe, Waheguru enough. Just this life it self is so beautiful, I can't explain. It's just so wonderful the order of the Universe and it's vast wilderness. 

I am assuming you are in Canada, my sister, so stay connected to a good sangat. There are are a lot of good camps, I AM KAUR, Kaurs Camp, Sikh Youth Federation, Basics & Beyond. So, if you don't know Gurmukhi, learn that. You can honestly learn in one month. Especially at your age, you will have the most time now. 

For me, I fell in a deeper love by learning 4/5 Baanis. Even though, I didn't understand Jaap Sahib, my love for Guru Ji would just increase everytime. Don't fall into the trap where people say "don't read Baani if you don't understand it". Obviously, you want to listen to Kattha (lectures) to obtain gyaan about the meanings, but you can do that later. 

Everyone's experience is going to be different. GO WITH YOUR GUT.  This is all I can say: Never stop listening/reciting Gurbaani. Sangat is very important. And anything that else that makes you want to spread love (seva, listening to The Battle of Chamkaur Sahib, helping out in the community, working out, etc). 

I wish I was in Canada but I am in the UK. I will definitely follow your instructions. But to honest, I don't particularly have good sangat but  I try hard to stay away from bad sangat. Thanks for your response it really helped!

VJKK VJKF  

VJKK VJKF

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, Guest Chamkaur Sahib said:

So, if you don't know Gurmukhi, learn that.

I already know Gurmukhi thanks to maharaaj's kirpa. I had to learn it by myself (Thanks to Basics Of Sikhi's Learning Gurmukhi videos) But yes I will definitely try all the other tips. Thanks. 

On 10/12/2017 at 4:58 PM, Guest Kaur 2 said:

VJKK VJKF

She is probably saying no because I am only 13 years old and she wants me to concentrate on studies. That's probably it really.

VJKK VJKF

I am 16 years old and my mum says the exact same thing!

It is not because you are too young she knows there is some other reason. If it is show her some videos and talk to her how amrit saves people's lives.

Your mum isn't in that mindset of the positives. 

At the same time make sure to respect your mother. Don't start an argument with her just keep trying respectfully.

On 10/12/2017 at 5:02 PM, Guest Kaur 2 said:

I wish I was in Canada but I am in the UK. I will definitely follow your instructions. But to honest, I don't particularly have good sangat but  I try hard to stay away from bad sangat. Thanks for your response it really helped!

VJKK VJKF  

Which area are you in? There are 3 amrit sanchars coming up this month (1 of them is a monthly amrit sanchar it happens every month, the other two are because of Bandi Chor Divas).

Guest Jacfsing2
1 hour ago, monatosingh said:

I am 16 years old and my mum says the exact same thing!

It is not because you are too young she knows there is some other reason. If it is show her some videos and talk to her how amrit saves people's lives.

Your mum isn't in that mindset of the positives. 

At the same time make sure to respect your mother. Don't start an argument with her just keep trying respectfully.

How's your Amritvela and Nitnem so far? Usually that's what parents usually are concerned about not maintaining rehat.

8 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

How's your Amritvela and Nitnem so far? Usually that's what parents usually are concerned about not maintaining rehat.

Amritvela is now sort of back on track, nitnem has never been an issue just the waking up. I just need to stop being lazy and sit on my bed instead but I have a bad back so I can't help it and it stops my focus.