Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kaur 2

What is the right time to take amrit?

Recommended Posts

Guest Kaur 2   
Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

I wish to take amrit when I am perhaps 18/19 but since I am still in secondary school and not allowed to wear a kirpan (in school) I am not entirely sure when I should take amrit. No-one else in my family has taken amrit and I am the eldest child? Please can I have some guidance?

VJKK VJKF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

First of all I congratulate you for having a very good thinking otherwise most of the world is looking for other stuff and issues.

The other members who live in foreign will know about kirpan rules but one suggestion I want to deliver you beta is that before you go for amrit, try to read all banis( 5 banis morning rehras sahib and sohila sahib) along with (if possible) 10-15 mins of simran. I know you have a lots of school books to take exam but if you start managing your time for nitnem, when you go for amrit, you will not have to struggle for rehit and nitnem.

once again, the sikhi is really amazing path, only those can taste who walk. And you are a very good child.

😁

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Kaur 2   
Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

Thank you very much for your reply. I can do the 5 bania in the morning. I learnt all by myself because no-one has the time to teach me but the issue with this is that I am not sure with pronunciation. Thanks for the reply anyway it really helped!

VJKK VJKF       :ssa 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simran345    2,464
14 hours ago, Guest Kaur 2 said:

VJKK VJKF

Thank you very much for your reply. I can do the 5 bania in the morning. I learnt all by myself because no-one has the time to teach me but the issue with this is that I am not sure with pronunciation. Thanks for the reply anyway it really helped!

VJKK VJKF       :ssa 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
16 hours ago, Guest Kaur 2 said:

 I can do the 5 bania in the morning.I am not sure with pronunciation

You are welcome, 

regarding correct pronunciation of gurbani, no one in this world can pronounce it 100 percent correct( only our guru sahibs can recite it 100 percent correctly with proper pause, speed and sounds)

however we should keep trying to get hold of a better pronunciation of gurbani, its on going process. The veteran kathavachaks like giani thakur singh , himself said that I am trying it since his childhood but still he do some pronunciation errors.

So u should do it with full love and devotion, try to correct pronunciation as much as possible and do ardass before and after the Paath.

( a child no matter how incorrectly calls his father, father always loves his voice and always replies to him, we r all HIS children)

when u start doing nitnem daily for long time, slowly and slowly u will learn more and more correct pronunciation by listening to ur own paath.recordings and checking ur own recordings with Gutka sahib, matching ur recordings with audios from other kathavachaks etc.

🙏😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Kaur 2   
Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

Thanks guys for all of your guidance, I will try to follow them as all of you are older than me and I respect your instructions. Are there any tips that you would give me while practising this beautiful path? I have decided to practise for at least 2 years properly before taking amrit. With maharaaj's kirpa everybody will realise this blessed path of righteousness. I have also had my fair share of struggle. Before all of this, my mother would never let me wear a patka, she said I looked like a boy. I told her that I am not doing for anyone else but only for Guru ji. She didn't seem to understand this and took away my patka and my 5 kakaar's. With 1 whole year of constant begging and crying I finally got my mother to give them back to me. Everyday I used to do the same ardas and Vaheguru listened to me. Now my mum herself tells me: We are going to the gurdwara, wear your patka. And no-one else can feel that joy that I feel by having my Guru's roop and everytime I walk out the house no matter how much people look at me and stare, I feel haapy, happy that they have seen the Guru's roop. Thanks to all of you. You made this decision much easier for me. I thank each and every one of you dearly. God Bless All Of You.

VJKK VJKF                      :waheguru:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Chamkaur Sahib   
Guest Chamkaur Sahib

I am in the exact situtation. I am 20 got into Sikhi about 2-3 years ago and never thought I would ever grow my kesh or even consider being blessed by the taste of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

 

I almost have the 5 Banis and have practiced wearing kirpan everywhere. Hasn't been an issue, even when I had to go inside the civil court. Most of the time nobody -  including my family - will notice.  

 

I am just going to do it in December. I took a Hukamnama and I am going to do it. I have been listening to The Battle of Chamkuar by Bhai Sukha Singh and I feel so deeply alive. I look forward every day to hearing what steps my Guru is doing. This is why I have decided December at a Gurdawara in Malton. The month of Poh is a cold one. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Kaur 2   
Guest Kaur 2
14 hours ago, Guest Chamkaur Sahib said:

I am in the exact situtation. I am 20 got into Sikhi about 2-3 years ago and never thought I would ever grow my kesh or even consider being blessed by the taste of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

 

I almost have the 5 Banis and have practiced wearing kirpan everywhere. Hasn't been an issue, even when I had to go inside the civil court. Most of the time nobody -  including my family - will notice.  

 

I am just going to do it in December. I took a Hukamnama and I am going to do it. I have been listening to The Battle of Chamkuar by Bhai Sukha Singh and I feel so deeply alive. I look forward every day to hearing what steps my Guru is doing. This is why I have decided December at a Gurdawara in Malton. The month of Poh is a cold one. 

 

 

The only issue is that I am 13 but I love Vaheguru so much. It is so unexplainable. I got into Sikhi about a year ago. I do not at all regret it. I just hope one day, Vaheguru will be able to realise the amount of love I have for Him.

VJKK VJKF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
monatosingh    108

There is no age limit for joining the Khalsa. Proof is when you see a toddler that is has taken amrit. The panj pyare don't care otherwise.

Now if you want to start here is some basic rules:

Do not eat meat or egg (and nothing with meat/egg)

Do not commit adultery before marriage.

Stay away from the 4 bujjar kuherits.

Follow rehat as strictly as possible.

 

Now at some point you will be mind struck when someone tells you one thing and someone else tells you another. The problem comes when you choose a Jatha.

I made a post about Jathebandi's and Puratan Jathe. Just don't get mixed up with them. What I do is quite simple, I always say to myself that we are all brothers and sisters of the Khalsa Panth. There is no other 'panth'. There might be Jathebandian but not any other Panth!

Rehat maryada: http://www.gurunanakdarbar.net/sikhrehatmaryada.pdf

All I can say penji is that follow the rehat and basic Sikhi principles and you will know when the time is right.

I wanted to take amrit a long time ago and I didn't realize you had to read PANJ baania at 3 AM. 

 

Anyways, good luck on your journey and you will be blessed with amrit in life definitely no doubt. Your family will be supportive and if they don't you know who to turn to for help :)

 

Edited by monatosingh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Kaur 2   
Guest Kaur 2
4 minutes ago, monatosingh said:

There is no age limit for joining the Khalsa. Proof is when you see a toddler that is has taken amrit. The panj pyare don't care otherwise.

Now if you want to start here is some basic rules:

Do not eat meat or egg (and nothing with meat/egg)

Do not commit adultery before marriage.

Stay away from the 4 bujjar kuherits.

Follow rehat as strictly as possible.

 

Now at some point you will be mind struck when someone tells you one thing and someone else tells you another. The problem comes when you choose a Jatha.

I made a post about Jathebandi's and Puratan Jathe. Just don't get mixed up with them. What I do is quite simple, I always say to myself that we are all brothers and sisters of the Khalsa Panth. There is no other 'panth'. There might be Jathebandian but not any other Panth!

Rehat maryada: http://www.gurunanakdarbar.net/sikhrehatmaryada.pdf

All I can say penji is that follow the rehat and basic Sikhi principles and you will know when the time is right.

I wanted to take amrit a long time ago and I didn't realize you had to read PANJ baania at 3 AM. 

 

Anyways, good luck on your journey and you will be blessed with amrit in life definitely no doubt. Your family will be supportive and if they don't you know who to turn to for help :)

 

Thanks for your response veerji it really helps but my mum isn't allowing me to take amrit yet. I really want to but since she is older than me I have to respect her command. Please tell me what to do because I am only 13 and don't know anything. I go to a sikhi class every Saturday, and I followed Guru Gobind Singh Ji's hukam to learn martial arts so I do that also. I love doing vaheguru simran and I still do good at school to make sure my mum doesn't stop me from going sikhi class and martial arts. Please tell me some more tips that I can follow to strengthen my faith even more. Thanks.

VJKK VJKF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Chamkaur Sahib   
Guest Chamkaur Sahib
11 hours ago, Guest Kaur 2 said:

The only issue is that I am 13 but I love Vaheguru so much. It is so unexplainable. I got into Sikhi about a year ago. I do not at all regret it. I just hope one day, Vaheguru will be able to realise the amount of love I have for Him.

VJKK VJKF

Fair, we will never be able to love Guru, the Universe, Waheguru enough. Just this life it self is so beautiful, I can't explain. It's just so wonderful the order of the Universe and it's vast wilderness. 

I am assuming you are in Canada, my sister, so stay connected to a good sangat. There are are a lot of good camps, I AM KAUR, Kaurs Camp, Sikh Youth Federation, Basics & Beyond. So, if you don't know Gurmukhi, learn that. You can honestly learn in one month. Especially at your age, you will have the most time now. 

For me, I fell in a deeper love by learning 4/5 Baanis. Even though, I didn't understand Jaap Sahib, my love for Guru Ji would just increase everytime. Don't fall into the trap where people say "don't read Baani if you don't understand it". Obviously, you want to listen to Kattha (lectures) to obtain gyaan about the meanings, but you can do that later. 

Everyone's experience is going to be different. GO WITH YOUR GUT.  This is all I can say: Never stop listening/reciting Gurbaani. Sangat is very important. And anything that else that makes you want to spread love (seva, listening to The Battle of Chamkaur Sahib, helping out in the community, working out, etc). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
monatosingh    108
15 hours ago, Guest Kaur 2 said:

Thanks for your response veerji it really helps but my mum isn't allowing me to take amrit yet. I really want to but since she is older than me I have to respect her command. Please tell me what to do because I am only 13 and don't know anything. I go to a sikhi class every Saturday, and I followed Guru Gobind Singh Ji's hukam to learn martial arts so I do that also. I love doing vaheguru simran and I still do good at school to make sure my mum doesn't stop me from going sikhi class and martial arts. Please tell me some more tips that I can follow to strengthen my faith even more. Thanks.

VJKK VJKF

Now most people would take amrit secretly and people just say that your parents will be fussed for only 2 days after that they won't care.

Honestly, you don't need your mother's permission because the panj pyare only care about YOU taking amrit and following hukam.

But I wouldn't take it secretly.

Are there any reasons why your mum is saying no?

Edited by monatosingh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Kaur 2   
Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

She is probably saying no because I am only 13 years old and she wants me to concentrate on studies. That's probably it really.

VJKK VJKF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Kaur 2   
Guest Kaur 2
21 hours ago, Guest Chamkaur Sahib said:

Fair, we will never be able to love Guru, the Universe, Waheguru enough. Just this life it self is so beautiful, I can't explain. It's just so wonderful the order of the Universe and it's vast wilderness. 

I am assuming you are in Canada, my sister, so stay connected to a good sangat. There are are a lot of good camps, I AM KAUR, Kaurs Camp, Sikh Youth Federation, Basics & Beyond. So, if you don't know Gurmukhi, learn that. You can honestly learn in one month. Especially at your age, you will have the most time now. 

For me, I fell in a deeper love by learning 4/5 Baanis. Even though, I didn't understand Jaap Sahib, my love for Guru Ji would just increase everytime. Don't fall into the trap where people say "don't read Baani if you don't understand it". Obviously, you want to listen to Kattha (lectures) to obtain gyaan about the meanings, but you can do that later. 

Everyone's experience is going to be different. GO WITH YOUR GUT.  This is all I can say: Never stop listening/reciting Gurbaani. Sangat is very important. And anything that else that makes you want to spread love (seva, listening to The Battle of Chamkaur Sahib, helping out in the community, working out, etc). 

I wish I was in Canada but I am in the UK. I will definitely follow your instructions. But to honest, I don't particularly have good sangat but  I try hard to stay away from bad sangat. Thanks for your response it really helped!

VJKK VJKF  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×