singhbj singh

Was Ravan responsible for conflict with Sri Raam !

jkvlondon    3,530

Raam was the sole cause of his problems , he tricked Ravan at the syvambar and thus won Sita's hand by cheating not contest. His brother Laxman cut off the nose of Ravan's sister for daring to ask him to marry her. Ravan did not take revenge for that assault .

SoulSingh    109

Isn't all this mythology? Why does this have relevance with us?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

singhbj singh    1,179
4 hours ago, SoulSingh said:

Anyone who reads Gurbani knows it's true. I was wondering what Gurbani says about Ravan as Dussehra was celebrated on 30th September.

jkvlondon    3,530
On 03/10/2017 at 0:03 PM, singhbj singh said:

Don't know about tricks & cheating at Swayamvar therefore will make no comments.

since there are more than 300 versions of the story the one by Valmiki is considered original and least coloured in judgemental attitude ...Ravan was an Asura some say that is why he wasn't suitable because of this but Raja Janak was a bhagti person invited both him and the Princes of Ayodya Ram and Laxman along with other kings and princes who were eligible . 

the condition of the svyambar was to lift and string the bow of Shiva , Raja Janak's most prized posession , partly this was also to match the correct person to his adopted daughter Sita who had lifted the Shiva danush as a child. Ravan would have been a shoe-in as he was the most devoted bhakht of Shiva ji  having done bheta of his head ten times (which some say were awarded back to him by Shiva ji, thus depicted as having ten heads). He would have easily been able to pick up the bow as he had thaparda of Shiva . Ram being Vishnu incarnate could do the same , and actually lifted the bow on pretext of examining the stringing and strummed the string breaking the bow, so no further attempts could be made. Raja Janak was satisfied .

Edited by jkvlondon

jkvlondon    3,530
6 hours ago, SoulSingh said:

Ram was a real person , we need to see how khalsa is expected to act and is respected higher than these demi-gods. Guru pita ji has given us examples of how not to be so we don't make the same mistakes

singhbj singh    1,179
9 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

ram  told ravan that his kingdom was on fire so Ravan rushed away to take care of his people and nation, as Ravan was the best archer there and would have certainly won. 

Didn't know that.

Can you be kind enough to provide credible source for this info.

jkvlondon    3,530
50 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Didn't know that.

Can you be kind enough to provide credible source for this info.

sorry I got it mixed up corrected above .

luckysingh99    1,146
On 10/3/2017 at 7:22 AM, SoulSingh said:

Mythology or myths are allegorical narratives. They are used and told to help us understand our ignorance and negative traits, as well as how to overcome them. They are always aligned so as to show us the way to the Truth. 

Raam, raavan, sita etc..  all represent our very own battles in life and within ourselves. Whether these characters existed in real or not should be of no relevance and gurbani doesn't say either way because of this. Knowing whether they physically existed or not isn't going to teach or make any of us better if we don't comprehend the concepts.  Nevertheless, where references are made in gurbani to such myths; they are to help us understand the meanings of these myths and how we could apply them to help us get towards the truth. The truth that is ek ongkar waheguru. 

There was a video from a Singh in the UK (i can't recall who) that tried to explain it better than me and attempted to untangle how the celebration of light or diwali, can occur within us. 

Edited by luckysingh99
  • Like 2

singhbj singh    1,179

Ram katha jug jug atal. Guru Gobind Singh ji, while concluding his version of Ramavtar, said the story of Rama exists from time immemorial and will remain so.

A senior journalist friend once remarked that it is very easy to instigate and embarrass the Sikhs. Just ask a Sikh a very simple question: What is the importance of Rama in Sikhism? If he says it is of no significance then quote that Gurbani has vividly referred to Rama as an icon of goodness. Now if he says, yes it is significant, then simply pin up the label of RSS on him. Either way it will start a spate of intrinisic skirmishes. The same is happening now.

The Khalsa or the Panth of the Guru, which had shattered the Khyber Pass and penetrated deep into the territories reversing the onslaught from West, has the strength to preserve and maintain its entity and identity. It should shed off its unnecessary phobia and stop shaking like a dry leaf at the slightest wind blowing.

Thanks to the uninvited intrusion of RSS into Sikhism with their remarks in their organ ‘The Organiser’ that the sacred texts of the Sikhs are “known for their salutations to Sri Rama”, which has helped to complicate the matter further by. Perhaps they believe that if you want to convince a man, first you have to confuse him.

Islam, Christianity and Judaism, despite maintaing their separate identities, have preserved the names and references of the earlier prophets. Guru Granth Sahib likewise has respectfully canonised the names of the mythological gods, goddesses etc. saying that all these are ever singing the praise of the Lord at His doorsteps. Gurmat is unequivocally clear that the only entity to be worshipped is the One who does not take birth and does not come in any form. Gurmat also does not object if Akal Purakh is remembered by the name of Rama, Krishna etc.. But it certainly will not equate Rama or Krishna with God.

The row, thus, whether Guru Granth Sahib has references to Rama or not, is nothing but unnecessary.

Source - http://punjab-spectrum.com/news/795/#sthash.4X4VFuKr.dpbs