Commitment to Nitnem

Guest Helpmeplease

Guest Helpmeplease

wjkk wjkf sangat jee

i recently took amrit 3 months ago randomly...had no prior planning just decided to on the day and gurdwara comittee allowed me to do ishnaan at guru ghar and provided me with kakkar.

my problem is no one in my family is into sikhi and although i am good with my kakkar and have stayed away from bujjar kurehits my nitnem routine is very poor. I do rehras sahib and kirtan sohila everyday but my morning nitnem is always incomplete :'(. I do japji sahib ok but by the time i get half way through jaap sahib i just can't carry on my attention span is SOOOO short!!! I end up giving up half way through jaap sahib. My attention span is like this always I can't sit and do one thing for a long time :'(

it's really getting me down now as i want to do my panj baniyan and every morning i sit down and think today is the day but it never happens and its been a few months now. I keep thinking it will get better as i get used to it and i go to bed pumping myself but always fail :( please help with tips!!!

I listen to mine coz my attention span is not too good these days with my son around. Do half and listen to half.  At least your ears will hear it. That is equal to doing it. When you know it off head after continuous listening theb you might find it easier to concentrate when doing it yourself. 

Otherwise it is fine to take a break, get up walk around and come back refreshed to continue. 

4 hours ago, Guest Helpmeplease said:

I do japji sahib ok but by the time i get half way through jaap sahib i just can't carry on my attention span is SOOOO short!!! I end up giving up half way through jaap sahib.

Is it because it is too long? I mean I can't read Gurmukhi so what you could do is read the transliteration or if not, what I do is I listen to it while reading it. This way I get the pronunciation correct and it's more faster.

Just have full dhiaan while doing this though.

Guest Guest guest

I congratulate you for your step into sikhi.

i would like to suggest you to listen to katha also because when you Listen Katha, you will come to know about God and his greatness, and you will start loving him and love for nitnem will develop.

day will come when u will give prior to nitnem over other works.

good luck

1 hour ago, Guest Guest guest said:

I congratulate you for your step into sikhi.

i would like to suggest you to listen to katha also because when you Listen Katha, you will come to know about God and his greatness, and you will start loving him and love for nitnem will develop.

day will come when u will give prior to nitnem over other works.

good luck

katha on the meanings of the path helps you understand what the words mean. This allows you to concentrate better. 

9 hours ago, monatosingh said:

Is it because it is too long? I mean I can't read Gurmukhi so what you could do is read the transliteration or if not, what I do is I listen to it while reading it. This way I get the pronunciation correct and it's more faster.

Just have full dhiaan while doing this though.

The more you keep repeating the path the shorter it becomes. Try to do just japji sahib 5 times. You will feel the length has decreased and you are able to do it faster too.

1 hour ago, sikhni777 said:

The more you keep repeating the path the shorter it becomes. Try to do just japji sahib 5 times. You will feel the length has decreased and you are able to do it faster too.

Ye I noticed that with rehraas. I became more fluent with it and I didn't have to stop at different intervals just because I missed out 'rahaao'.

But Japji sahib, hai hai I am too lazy for that and it will take about 2 hours to do all the panj bania via reading it because I need to finish off the rest of my sleep.

As I said though, I think reading it and listening to it is good. I read it in my head and listen to it with full dhiyaan.

On 25/09/2017 at 7:34 PM, Guest Helpmeplease said:

it's really getting me down now as i want to do my panj baniyan and every morning i sit down and think today is the day but it never happens and its been a few months now. I keep thinking it will get better as i get used to it and i go to bed pumping myself but always fail :( please help with tips!!!

Be patient with yourself. And keep trying.

Here are a couple of tips.

Do each bani differently. Japjisahib, sitting  down, eyes closed, from memory, out loud.

Jaap sahib, standing up, reading from gutka sahib, read out loud in a fast, bir rass martial, military rhythm

Tavprasaad savaiye, sit down, eyes closed, listen to it sung, bhai parminder singh on youtube has all 5 banis in kirtan form.

Chaupai sahib, get into bir rass position like the panj pyare do, fold ur hands, bow down ur head, and do it outloud as beanti prayer

Anand sahib, listen to a fast version, found on youtube while you exercise or make ur bed. Make sure to concentrate

You dont have to do them exactly like i said. Whichever bani u know memorized do that with eyes closed. Which ever bani u find the most longest, listen to its fast forwarded version. Try different things. Also u dont have to sit still while  u do all the banis. Sit for 1 bani. And then stand for another and do work/exercise/chores while u recite or listen to other bani.

Also do simran before doing nitnem like 15 mins atleast. 

Well what you could also do is change your wake up time (if you are really that tired).

Amritvela is before sunrise so this is how I do it:

I set my alarm to 3:45 AM

I make sure it is far as possible from me so I won't be that sleepy.

I then have an Ishnaan and get dressed.

Then I do my nitnem, which is usually at 4 AM. 

Well seeing you are 'slow' at the nitnem I'd suggest no to do it at 5 AM because then you will end up doing it during or after sunrise. (depending on what you believe).

When I was in the early stages of nitnem I was angry when I got up and I wasn't really chardi kala at all. Through consistent nitnem and regular ardas you will find later that it is easy.

My rehras is not that long but my nitnem book isn't quite organized. So I do anand sahib after the dohra and then the mundavani.