How To increase Sikh population in UK

Big_Tera

2 hours ago, Balkaar said:

It is a good idea. Perhaps we should not ape the Jehovah's witnesses, as they've come to be regarded more as a nuisance than anything else, but setting up stalls in public with eye-catching signs demonstrating Sikh precepts and history may be a good idea. Also we need to increase our publicity generally. Make sure Sikhi is given a fair and even-handed coverage in schools' religious study curricula (it only receives very rudimentary coverage in most schools currently), get more Sikhs into television, the media and the arts in order to make us seem like a part of the British culture and landscape, because at the moment we are a bit irrelevant, exist in sort of a bubble. 

But we should also be aware that Western culture is not really receptive to religion of any sort anymore. Most people will be too caught up in the pursuit of their petty vices (drinking - HUGE part of the culture here, trying to get laid) to give parchaariks the time of day, particularly if they aim to discourage people from the materialistic pursuits which form the bedrock of their lives and ambitions. We should not set our hopes too high and expect any miracles is all I'm saying. Make a difference in every little way we can, if one of your friends for instance expresses an interest in learning about Sikhism, make sure you know what to say to them. Furthermore every Sikh needs to be on their best behaviour at all times - if they behave like tw4ts then this will reflect badly on our entire qaum and potentially put people off Sikhi. 

Stalls is one option. But some are discouraged from approaching as it seems a bit extreem as it is on a high street which may draw negative attention. Same way when you see thoss muslims with the stall. It can be off putting for some people. 

With door knocking it is discreet and people who have a genuine interest can learn alot by this approach. It is not about being pushy like jehovas wittnesses who are quite forceful. If people are not interested then simply move on to the next house. 

Just imagine if you knocked on 200 doors. That can have a big impact if we all do it. There are other methods also. But we need some solid structure and plan on how we can implement it. 

8 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

Stalls is one option. But some are discouraged from approaching as it seems a bit extreem as it is on a high street which may draw negative attention. Same way when you see thoss muslims with the stall. It can be off putting for some people. 

With door knocking it is discreet and people who have a genuine interest can learn alot by this approach. It is not about being pushy like jehovas wittnesses who are quite forceful. If people are not interested then simply move on to the next house. 

Just imagine if you knocked on 200 doors. That can have a big impact if we all do it. There are other methods also. But we need some solid structure and plan on how we can implement it. 

Why not combine these two ideas with the idea of open days. Have a stall in the high street and approach non-Sikhs by inviting them to the local Gurdwara open day. The British are interested in knowing about non-Abrahamic religion as they have rejected the old angry guy in the sky type of religious belief. Islam is no different and the only Brits who convert to that religion are prisoners or women because their Muslim husband demands that they do. 

10 minutes ago, proactive said:

True but the mistake we make as Sikhs is that we always get thinly spread out and then when the storm comes we suffer. Around the world now we are spread out just as the Sikhs were pre-1947. The only Sikhs that survived were the one who lived in areas where Sikhs were a good percentage of the population or those how were able to flee to those areas. 

Some Sikhs have the mentality that they want to move away from areas that have a large Sikh population such as those those who moved from Southall to Iver, Ickenham, Reading etc. So they have spread themselves thinly and when the proverbial will hit the fan which it will in the next decade or so they will be sitting ducks. 

Sikhs in Europe should really be thinking of moving to UK if possible. Hate crimes against Sikhs aren't many compared to USA and they will always be a minute minority is Europe whereas in UK they can still live in Sikh dominated areas as by moving to the UK they can contribute to make these areas more stronger. I have noticed many Sikhs from Italy, Portugal and Belgium have been migrating to UK after getting citizenship of these countries. This needs to increase. 

It takes a lot more than the proverbal hit the fan to keep Sikhs in one area. Prioritisation is in other areas is placed.

We are a canary in the coalmine community and attract other communities which pushes us out (like the other topic we were discussing on this forum)

2 hours ago, Dsinghdp said:

I can see this storm coming. Canada is a much better option.

Canada, where they vandalized gurduwaras and that one lady who thought Jagmeet Singh of the NDP party was muslim, don't forget about the Racist white kids in Brampton, go to a park and they have racist terms about Indians written on the playgrounds, I heard B.C has it bad with racism where they smashed the windows of  a gurduwara and spray painted anti-muslim terms on the wall, and Ontario is more developed except for that one Hindu-Nationalist guy (who is a big joke), every country has it's up's and down's and Canada is definitely  not a Racist-free zone, bro ever since Islamophobia was on the rise in the U.K, Canadians are following the steps about being Islamophobic and then confusing Sikhs with Muslims, but then again, if you truly wanted to move out of the U.K, I'd suggest a place like Brampton although house prices have been inflated, there is a huge indian majority, the racist white kids calls it "brown town" even Toronto would be good, but beware of the night.

Also beware of the Youth, many Canadians consider Sikhs to be criminals, it's like ignorant Americans being scared of black people, except in Canada, the "black people" are also Sikhs.

If you're moving to Canada, message me, and I'll tell you a good area to move to.

But Canada also has it's good side, like big festivals where many Canadians and non-sikhs attend to, Jus Reign being a Canadian Sensation, Jagmeet Singh in politics,  the Canadian Defense Minister, etc

But beware of some of the festivals, the Police usually monitor due to Disputes that occurred in the past, rare to see them happen again, and we also have a motorcycle club "Sikh Riders of Canada" (it's also in America, we need something like that in the U.K to integrate our religion with U.K culture.) 

Pretty sure we also have a Khalsa School here, for young children, and most gurduwaras here have great libraries to learn history, not sure if Gurduwaras in the U.K have libraries. 

Sikhs must stay strong, and stick together for the Storm that is coming, we must prepare.

in Canada, or the UK, the Anti-Islam trend is growing stronger and Sikhs are the usual ones they target out of ignorance.

America especially with the gun-crimes.

Spread the word, educate, before another horrible event will happen!

2 hours ago, KhalistanYouth said:

Canada, where they vandalized gurduwaras and that one lady who thought Jagmeet Singh of the NDP party was muslim, don't forget about the Racist white kids in Brampton, go to a park and they have racist terms about Indians written on the playgrounds, I heard B.C has it bad with racism where they smashed the windows of  a gurduwara and spray painted anti-muslim terms on the wall, and Ontario is more developed except for that one Hindu-Nationalist guy (who is a big joke), every country has it's up's and down's and Canada is definitely  not a Racist-free zone, bro ever since Islamophobia was on the rise in the U.K, Canadians are following the steps about being Islamophobic and then confusing Sikhs with Muslims, but then again, if you truly wanted to move out of the U.K, I'd suggest a place like Brampton although house prices have been inflated, there is a huge indian majority, the racist white kids calls it "brown town" even Toronto would be good, but beware of the night.

Also beware of the Youth, many Canadians consider Sikhs to be criminals, it's like ignorant Americans being scared of black people, except in Canada, the "black people" are also Sikhs.

If you're moving to Canada, message me, and I'll tell you a good area to move to.

But Canada also has it's good side, like big festivals where many Canadians and non-sikhs attend to, Jus Reign being a Canadian Sensation, Jagmeet Singh in politics,  the Canadian Defense Minister, etc

But beware of some of the festivals, the Police usually monitor due to Disputes that occurred in the past, rare to see them happen again, and we also have a motorcycle club "Sikh Riders of Canada" (it's also in America, we need something like that in the U.K to integrate our religion with U.K culture.) 

Pretty sure we also have a Khalsa School here, for young children, and most gurduwaras here have great libraries to learn history, not sure if Gurduwaras in the U.K have libraries. 

One lady who recieved backlash from just about everyone. Gurdwaras vandalized? Maybe in Ontario, haven't heard of such an incident in BC so far. The Punjabis in Brampton aren't angels, if anything, they're probably the bullies. People know who are, I've never been mistaken for a Muslim .

Obviously every country has their problems, but you're exaggerating. Do you even live in Canada?