superkaur

Is khalsa aid wasting sangats resources on muslim rohingya?

Guest Jacfsing2   
Guest Jacfsing2
4 hours ago, Balkaar said:

The Singhs who dragged Bhai Kanhaiya before Kalgidhar Patshaah sounded very similar to you. "Why give water to some muslim, an enemy, when you could be giving water to a Sikh instead? Shouldn't the Sikhs be a priority?"  I shouldn't have to remind you how this turned out for them. 

When Dashmesh Pitaa asked Bhai Sahib why he had done this,  Kanhaiya replied "I saw no Mughal or Sikh on the field of battle Maharaj, I saw only you". Guru Gobind Singh said that of all those present in the group Kanhaiya alone had understood the real message of Gurbani. Bhai Kanhaiya was right. The Singhs were wrong. I believe you are wrong about this too bhenji. Be careful not to become so obsessed with protecting 'sikhi' that you forget what you're supposed to be protecting in the first place. 

Helping somebody is never a waste of anything, it is not only one of the best things we can do for others, but one of the best things we can do for our own Sikhi. 

2 completely different things. Ravi Singh is probably a great man, trying to be a good Sikh, but the comparison of Bhai Kanahaiya to him is not something I'd recommend. Bhai Kanahaiya served as a Sevak whoever he can, regardless of whether they were Sikh or not. Ravi Singh is trying to exclude Sikhs. If he helped Afghan Sikhs, Middle-Eastern Sikhs, or African Sikhs, nobody would bat an eye, but he excludes Sikhs, and it's not beneficial to anyone.

3 hours ago, Balkaar said:

What are you talking about? Of course we do. Our lack of publicity is the number one reason so many Sikhs are targeted in the West by confused bigots, why every rally we ever hold in support of our self-determination is routinely ignored by Western media, and why Guru Nanak's message is barely spreading outside the Punjabi demographic. Publicity is exactly what we need. 

Before any publicity, we need an independent Sikh organization that represents Sikh-interests support internationally. Fiancial Aid to Sikhs in Punjab or wherever, consueling for Sikhs, and only then will we no longer be seen as 3rd rate citizens in the world. 

Balkaar    1,430
56 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

2 completely different things. Ravi Singh is probably a great man, trying to be a good Sikh, but the comparison of Bhai Kanahaiya to him is not something I'd recommend. Bhai Kanahaiya served as a Sevak whoever he can, regardless of whether they were Sikh or not. Ravi Singh is trying to exclude Sikhs. If he helped Afghan Sikhs, Middle-Eastern Sikhs, or African Sikhs, nobody would bat an eye, but he excludes Sikhs, and it's not beneficial to anyone.

Before any publicity, we need an independent Sikh organization that represents Sikh-interests support internationally. Fiancial Aid to Sikhs in Punjab or wherever, consueling for Sikhs, and only then will we no longer be seen as 3rd rate citizens in the world. 

Khalsa Aid doesn't exclude Sikhs veeray, you can see a list of their projects on their website where they clearly set out the work they do with Sikhs in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq:

http://www.khalsaaid.org/projects/kabul-refugee-aid

http://www.khalsaaid.org/projects/displaced-sikhs-in-iraq

http://www.khalsaaid.org/projects/displaced-sikhs-in-pakistan

As well as Sikhs in Punjab and other parts of India:

http://www.khalsaaid.org/projects/punjab-floods-2007

http://www.khalsaaid.org/news/sikligar-sikhs-project

http://www.focuspunjab.org/

45 minutes ago, acsap said:

In this situation, it is different, we are not helping fellow Sikhs in Punjab, but going out of the way to help Muslims, when Muslims are in much better position to help. It is like Sikhs going out of the way to help Palestinians get a country when Sikhs cannot even get their own country or Bhai Kanhaiya giving water to dying Muslims soldiers even when hundred of Muslims can give them water, but nobody is giving Sikhs soldiers any water. 

Muslims can help their brothers and sisters, but often they do not. The Palestinians for instance, despite the lip-service paid to their cause across the Islamic world, have been all but abandoned in practice. The response to the Syrian refugee crisis by the rest of the Arab countries was also shamefully tepid, and the plight of the Kurds elicits little sympathy from anyone. In a world which is increasingly full of chauvinism, I believe we should be glad to belong to a community which is one of the few that even attempts to rise above the divisions and embrace its responsibility to the wider human race, when most others are only concerned with looking out for their own - the people in their own house, or their own country, or of their own religion. I am happy to see the Sikh Panth taking steps towards realizing what I hope is its destiny as the moral conscience of the entire world. 

Edited by Balkaar
  • Like 4

proactive    1,367
8 hours ago, singh598 said:

It's easy for people to complain sitting on a nice sofa in a comfortable room in a nice warm house 

Imagine what it is like for those HUMANBEINGS

Sometimes the best and most common sense decisions are made sitting on a nice sofa in a comfortable room in a nice warm house. 

• Like 3

sikhni777    589

I don't suppose it is only Sikhs who donate to khalsa aid. 

The government of Punjab needs to look aftee their people.  They are not facing immediate danger. Moreover a political change is needed to sort out their problems which a charity organisation cannot do without starting to educate them. This would place their volunteers in immediate danger.

The rohingha plight has received worldwide publicity and their immediate situation is one which threatens their survival. 

It is like the service which a doctor would provide - the person facing a heart attack is seen before the person whose finger has a severe cut on it.

People who feel strongly about the charity should get on their feet and possibly volunteer to go help before starting to judge people.  It is easy to criticise others. However if you were in their shoes would you have been able to save punjab and turn it into a paradise for Sikhs ?

• Like 1

kcmidlands    64
15 hours ago, superkaur said:

Question is why is khalsa aid continuing to pursue non-sikh charity causes when there's plenty of causes within the Sikh community that needs urgent attention and help but no help is given. (ie afghan Sikhs dwindling population due to persecution and discrimination, pakistani sikhs struggling financial  hardships, indian sikhs in deep poverty and struggling especially families of Shaheeds killed by govt violence). Whats the agenda? foreign adventures? collecting money?

Do your research, they do a lot for Sikhs (including Afghan and Pakistani Sikhs), i could make a list of the what they've down on a grass roots level but you opinion seems to fall in the camp of "We have to do for our own first" and your mind's already made up, maybe go and meet Ravi, i've met him a few times, your opinion will change pretty fast once you understand the people they're trying to help, when you help someone if you see their religion or skin colour first then you've lost before you've even began.

8 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

I agree. Charity starts at home. 

Khalsa aid is a great organisation. But why should we give money to syria and rohinga. 

These people will laugh that we are helping them. Sikhs cant even build a Gurdwara in syria and other arab countries. We are also persecuted. yet we help these same people.

Its a case of trying to be to goody goody.

Charity does begin at home and no one is forcing you to give money to them, yet we have no problem propping up TV channels in the UK who operate under the guise of a charity and don't help anyone, just saying.

• Like 1

Balkaar    1,430

2 hours ago, proactive said:

What great effect are the tens of thousands of pounds that KA will spend in Myanmar have against the millions of pounds the larger charities will spend! 

Seva is more about intent than effect. One out of one is a more generous gift than one hundred out of a thousand. 

The effect is also not just on the people the volunteers help, but on the karams of the volunteers and donors themselves. Seva is a way for us to get closer to Maharaj, and to help us realize that his jot blazes in all living beings. 

2 hours ago, proactive said:

I remember reading Ravi Singh's blog from the time of the Kashmir earthquake. He said how he was also fasting during Ramadan in the relief camps! What a joke, so he was going against the rehat just to show what a great humanitarian he was! The true fact was that such is the fanaticism among those Kashmiri Muslims even those who had lost all their homes that it was dangerous for him, someone who was saving the lives of these Muslims to even eat in his own tent and if it became known that he was eating during Ramadan it would have led to him being lynched!  Karlo Sewa! 

The rehat does not prohibit fasting. Bani essentially says that fasting is pointless and unnecessary if one practices it under the assumption that this will please God, which is the reason Muslims tend to give for it. Ravi Singh did not fast for this reason, he did it to show solidarity with the people he was helping. Try to put yourself in Ravi Singh's shoes for a moment. I think plenty of people would have misgivings about stuffing their faces around people who were starving and living in the direst of circumstances but still refused to take the food you offered them. 

Can I ask why you are being so quick to ascribe the basest and most cynical motives to fellow Sikhs and human beings? 

The other Sikh volunteers present somehow managed to eat their food without being noosed. This is not the 'true fact', it is your personal bias speaking brother. 

Edited by Balkaar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

simran345    2,459

I remember watching a video, because people were asking why don't they do seva in Punjab. He said that they are limited to what they can do, and would like to do more in Punjab. I think was something to do with politics or I may be wrong. I can't find the video to put on, but he was explaining why they can't do as much as they'd like to there. 

Guest Jacfsing2   
Guest Jacfsing2
4 hours ago, proactive said:

The Bhai Kanhaiya episode cannot be used as an analogy to justify the work of Khalsa Aid. If Bhai Kanhaiya was bypassing wounded Sikhs wanting water and ONLY giving water to wounded Mughals then Khalsa Aid would be fully justified in it's activities. 

The best analogy for what Khalsa Aid does is for a Sikh whose wife and kids were starving at home in village Sikhpura where all the villagers are Sikhs goes to another village Rasulpur a Muslim village many miles away  to donate his last money there because one of the houses in that village has burnt down. It is common sense to expect the other Muslims of Rasulpur to help out their Muslim neighbours  but it is the height of idiocy for the Sikh to be neglecting his own family to help others. 

But KA has taken it's idiocy to new heights, they have over £2.4 million in the bank and yet are appealing for funds for the Rohingyas  even from Sikhs in India! Imagine that, expanding our analogy further that would be like the Sikh asking for his starving wife and kids if they could donate their last meal for his relief work trip to the Muslim village! 

KA has been in existence for over 18 years now. The work they do in Punjab is in the last few years and as I wrote before probably the outcome of Sikhs questioning them about what they are doing about Sikhs in needs. 

Their is no issue in their helping in areas and communities where there is no other help such as the Yazidis in Iraq but KA is usually one of dozens of charities each vying with each other to get the most publicity. What great effect are the tens of thousands of pounds that KA will spend in Myanmar have against the millions of pounds the larger charities will spend! Consider what that tens of thousands of pounds could do for Sikhs in need. Why does KA have to run off thousands of miles away to find non-Sikhs in need when Ravi Singh just needs to step out of his door to see Sikhs sleeping rough in Slough and West London. But I suppose there is no publicity in helping them, the publicity is in plastering photos on facebook of KA helping Rohingyas thousands of mile away! 

I remember reading Ravi Singh's blog from the time of the Kashmir earthquake. He said how he was also fasting during Ramadan in the relief camps! What a joke, so he was going against the rehat just to show what a great humanitarian he was! The true fact was that such is the fanaticism among those Kashmiri Muslims even those who had lost all their homes that it was dangerous for him, someone who was saving the lives of these Muslims to even eat in his own tent and if it became known that he was eating during Ramadan it would have led to him being lynched!  Karlo Sewa! 

I think you quoted me by mistake.

Guest Jacfsing2   
Guest Jacfsing2
3 hours ago, KhoonKaBadlaKhoon said:

I respect his hardcore pro-Sikhi, Khalistan, and anti-india views.

Do you have any proof of this? I highly doubt he's said anything remotely related to this. That Sikhs have a right to a nation.