• Topics

• Well, the way to go about it is simply, the next time you see him, say Hi again, talk about your dogs, then ask, "Say, are you a Sikh?". Once he says yes, go on from there. After chatting for a few minutes, you can say that you are very interested in the subject, and would he like to come to your apartment to continue the conversation over coffee or whatever. No problem, you should keep learning and work through your doubts/questions before taking a step such as that, and also be able to answer all/most of the questions your non-Sikh neighbors are likely to ask you. Well, one more thought is that though I appreciate the desire for a personal and real connection to an actual living Sikh who is your neighbor, note also that it's not necessarily the case that your particular neighbor will be a hugely knowledgeable Sikh who can answer all your questions in a satisfying way. Anotherwords, please excuse human fallibilities. It's also possible your Sikh neighbor may lead you astray. You can always double-check by posting your questions here.
    • What is this garbage? First, all the new member applications are held up, and now all of a sudden garbage members like this are posting spam?
    • One of the main downfalls of Sikh empire as well as most powerful empires was the war of succession and damaging family politics. The real game of thrones probably was based on the antics of the mughul rulers or Maharajah Ranjit's family. Family infighting was taken advantage of by other outsiders (ie Hindu Jammu and Punjabi Dogra's of Lahore Darbar) and then outsiders of the whole region (The British east india company troops). Also the over reliance of non-Sikhs in the ranks of the army and power structures caused rifts within sikh generals and political circles. The failures of good diplomacy and sign up treaties with rulers of other independent sikh kingdoms like nahba, jind, faridkot because it is said Maharajah ranjit wanted to expand his kingdom empire and sought to fight them which that led to those Sikh rulers of those kingdoms being somewhat forced to seek protection and alliance with the British invaders. The golden age of Punjab in recorded history was when Sikhs ruled it as it had enough fiances, enough food, all religions had their people and places of worship respected. Punjab's Sikh lahore was seen as the paris of the east, but decadence had set in by the time European immigrants started to flock to the Sikh empire hoping to make their riches especially ex-army generals and soldiers from america and french battle hardened from Napoleonic wars. Another reason for the fall of the Sikh empire was the army being over stretched in campaigns against the afghans in the north west, troops in ladkh to fight the chinese for tibet and troops in punjab to fight other kingdoms to the south. From what i read Military intelligence was non-existence whereas the british had various spies and moles within the lahore darbur itself and even probably had some of the european soldiers and generals under their service as double agents. The failure of Sikh rulers not to implement polices to actively convert punjab to a majority Sikh population was also a mistake as people who follow your values/ideology/beliefs are far more likely to fight for your government and rule than someone who awaits the day his own ideologues/co-religionists rule the land. In the days of the 12 misls Sikhs would actively force convert mughul town populations from islam to Sikh and any who resisted were forced to flee or put to the sword. That revenge policy ment they were able to take various town and cities from the clutches of mughuls but also other fight Islamic invaders (afghans, persians) more effectively. Had they expanded that policy into kashmir and afghan they would been huge sikh populations there now n present times  and we wouldn't have no partition bloodshed and no pakistan there probably. Instead in its place there would be a huge khalistan/sikhistan bordering china and india to the east.    
    • Billi meooooowwww 😺
    • Hello, I am new to Sikhism. About 5 months ago I found Sikhism and developed a strong faith in it, but bounced back to Buddhism (which I had been for about 11 years) when I got some backlash from my fiance, but have recently in the past several weeks come back to Sikhism due to meeting the same issues I had before with Buddhism. Coinciding with my renewed faith in Sikhism, I moved into an apartment. The day that I moved into our apartment I saw a Sikh man (assuming he is a Sikh based on his dastar and beard). He lives across the park lot from me. I have seen him many times and spoke with him very briefly once while we passed each other walking our dogs. There is also one other Sikh man in the building next to mine. I think there is meaning behind my move into this apartment (it is temporary and circumstances were abrupt for it) in that I am now living very close to two Sikhs (I live in Florida and not a lot of Sikhs in my area) coinciding with my renewed faith in Sikhism. Seeing these men inspire faith in me. For a couple reasons I do not keep Kesh or wear a dastar at this time. I don't know if it is appropriate, or how I would go about it, but I would like to discuss Sikhism with my neighbors. I would be especially interested to know if they go to a Gurdwara, as I have not found a local Gurdwara when I search the internet for one. Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks! Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh -I.