Hammertime007    461

Wheguru Je Khalsa Wheguru Je Ke Fateh

We all love to remember our Shaeeds and Kharkus, one way is with threads on forums, and we are overdue one here. 

I am very interested in the life style and movements of Kharkus and their Jathebandhis, so here's a few questions for the sangat, and may be we can find some answers between us.

1} Were Kharku Jathebandis regionalised ? Was one  Jathebandie more prominent than others  in areas. For example did KLF have more members in one area and KCF in an other.

2} Were some Jathebandies more religious than others ? Babbar Khalsa comes to mind as look like nearly all Gur- Sikhs others have non Gur-Sikhs

3} Crossing the borders of India. Its common knowledge there was training and weapons supplied by a neighbouring Country. I would Imagine the punjab (ind) Punjab (pak) would have been red hot in these times and very difficult to cross. I have read  areas that the Rajistan border was used to enter Pakistan. But how did they do it with no maps. no GPS, no mobiles. I doubt there were road signs like there are now.

4} Monar in the Movement. Bhai Harjinder Singh Para , Harjinder Singh Jinda , deepa heran wala come to mind were there any more ?

5}How did they get around Punajb , ?there were easy to spot  did they have vehicles, Toofan Singh movie shows them travailing on foot and stopping at the first shelter place they could find . I do know they would go to houses in pinds to eat.

6} Communication ? How did they get messages to each other as no mobiles then .

7} What does the word Kharku actually  mean ?

• Like 3

Balkaar    1,430
On 9/15/2017 at 0:25 PM, Hammertime007 said:

1} Were Kharku Jathebandis regionalised ? Was one  Jathebandie more prominent than others  in areas. For example did KLF have more members in one area and KCF in an other.

2} Were some Jathebandies more religious than others ? Babbar Khalsa comes to mind as look like nearly all Gur- Sikhs others have non Gur-Sikhs

5}How did they get around Punajb , ?there were easy to spot  did they have vehicles, Toofan Singh movie shows them travailing on foot and stopping at the first shelter place they could find . I do know they would go to houses in pinds to eat.

7} What does the word Kharku actually  mean ?

1) They were not deliberately regionalised, but in many cases the fighters came from the same area or set of villages. This phenomenon has been common fixture in Sikh history, in Banda Singh Bahadur's time Majhails and Malwais tended to fight alongside their kinsmen, and the Sikh Misls were also headquartered in certain parts of the Punjab. In more recent times, BTF (Bhindranwale Tiger Force of Khalistan) was most active in Tarn-Taran,     KZF (Khalistan Zindabaad force) in parts of Jammu and Kashmir,  but the others had a consistent presence across the whole region. 

2) Yes, most of the Babbars were AKJ and it was mandatory for their fighters to be Amritdhari and rehitvaan. 

5) Many traveled by foot yes, but they also used jeeps to carry fighters from one place to another in the rural areas, and when ambushing police cars. When carrying out hits against panth dhokiaan Singhs tended to use motorcycles as these were the perfect vehicles for hit-and-run tactics, and for making quick escapes through the narrow, crowded streets of the cities where most of their targets were based. Sukha and Jinda famously used a motorcycle to kill Gen. Vaidya. 

7) Kharku comes from the Punjabi word 'kharka' meaning a racket or a loud noise. So a kharku is someone who makes loud noises, who causes trouble. I believe it was initially used as a derogatory term for Sikh fighters by the enemies of the Panth, but Singhs went on to appropriate the label for themselves. 

Edited by Balkaar
  • Like 2

S1ngh    1,385
On 9/15/2017 at 4:25 AM, Hammertime007 said:

Were Kharku Jathebandis regionalised ? Was one  Jathebandie more prominent than others  in areas. For example did KLF have more members in one area and KCF in an other.

Every region had their own jatha and sometime they did hold grudges and petty fights against each other - hence the fall of our movement.

S1ngh    1,385
On 9/15/2017 at 4:25 AM, Hammertime007 said:

BK were very strict and sarblohi singhs. They were mostly associated with Akhand Keertan Jatha. Very secretive and hard to get in as trust issue was the major problem back then.

• Like 1

proactive    1,367

According to John Spellman, professor of Asian Studies at

the University of Windsor and consultant on Sikhism for the Human

Rights Commission of Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta, Kharku

literally means a valiant person, a person with courage, a

person who stands up for rights. The word became used for freedom

fighters and, for those who oppose Khalistan, it became used as a

synonym for terrorist (Spellman 23 May 1991).

http://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6ac4ba8.html

• Like 2

Hammertime007    461
31 minutes ago, S1ngh said:

Every region had their own jatha and sometime they did hold grudges and petty fights against each other - hence the fall of our movement.

I don't think a few petty fights was the fall of the movement. Blacks Cat activity caused the pind folk to stop their support for Kharkus. The other being Kharkus were Shaeed or moved to Europe, Usa or Canda.

Edited by Hammertime007
spelling
  • Like 1

S1ngh    1,385
1 hour ago, Hammertime007 said:

I don't think a few petty fights was the fall of the movement. Blacks Cat activity caused the pind folk to stop their support for Kharkus. The other being Kharkus were Shaeed or moved to Europe, Usa or Canda.

Most of the police informers belonged were part of jathabandi. Either they were planted or they got changed. One example is "Sukhi the cat". http://www.panthic.org/articles/2327

Hammertime007    461

Extremely rare footage/photo of Kahrkus training in Pakistan. Lying on is front is Shaeed  Harjinder Singh Para  (yellow top) from Canada, who I mentioned as one the monar guys who went over fought and became shaeed. He was very close with Saheed Bhai Avtar Singh Brahma, which showed Singhs like Brahma and Jathebandies accepted everyone.  Dont know the others maybe someone else will.

image.png

Hammertime007    461

Muslim bloke far let , who were Singhs training who  with LET ,Inter Service Intelligence or Mugherdeen ? This cant be later than 1988.image.png.8b78a30317405d872b9be698d400eb2b.png

Edited by Hammertime007

Hammertime007    461
55 minutes ago, S1ngh said:

Most of the police informers belonged were part of jathabandi. Either they were planted or they got changed. One example is "Sukhi the cat". http://www.panthic.org/articles/2327

I think they mentioned in Hans raj Hans's Patta Patta Singhar the Vari song he refers to them as "touts"

GuestSingh    15

Kharku adj. courageous, bold, brave; dreaded, feared, domineering, dominating, assertive; n.m. such person, terrorist, militant. (Panjabi university, Patiala)

Just to add to previous posts and for anyone interested.