Kharku Thread

Hammertime007

Extremely rare footage/photo of Kahrkus training in Pakistan. Lying on is front is Shaeed  Harjinder Singh Para  (yellow top) from Canada, who I mentioned as one the monar guys who went over fought and became shaeed. He was very close with Saheed Bhai Avtar Singh Brahma, which showed Singhs like Brahma and Jathebandies accepted everyone.  Dont know the others maybe someone else will.

image.png

55 minutes ago, S1ngh said:

Most of the police informers belonged were part of jathabandi. Either they were planted or they got changed. One example is "Sukhi the cat". http://www.panthic.org/articles/2327

I think they mentioned in Hans raj Hans's Patta Patta Singhar the Vari song he refers to them as "touts"

Guest GuestSingh

Kharku adj. courageous, bold, brave; dreaded, feared, domineering, dominating, assertive; n.m. such person, terrorist, militant. (Panjabi university, Patiala)

Just to add to previous posts and for anyone interested.

On 17/09/2017 at 0:35 PM, Balkaar said:

On 18/09/2017 at 1:18 PM, GuestSingh said:

Kharku adj. courageous, bold, brave; dreaded, feared, domineering, dominating, assertive; n.m. such person, terrorist, militant. (Panjabi university, Patiala)

Just to add to previous posts and for anyone interested.

The term was never used till after 87/88 from what I know. I don't think the Singhs who fought in blue star were either. 

Remember these groups worked together, they didn't allow just anyone in Babbar Khalsa was the hardest one to get in, you had to be invited One shaheed  was with KCF I believe he got jailed and lost contact he returned to fight and joined Babbar Khalsa, also BTFK was split into 2 groups one BTFK was lead by Sangha and the other by Manochoal (sorry for spelling on mobile)  not everyone was in a group Goldy who joined the forces of Khalistan when he was about 12 to 16 was in Khalistan liberation army (he was a child and took out a lot of police and stopped courruption within the men since business owners wanted to hire them to kill their competition goldy said "punish a guilty man and hundreds will join you, punish a innocent and hundreds will distance away from you" Something along those lines (on mobile will update to accurate quote later)

1} Were Kharku Jathebandis regionalised ? Was one  Jathebandie more prominent than others  in areas. For example did KLF have more members in one area and KCF in an other. - BTFK Manochahal was active in Majha, Sangha group was more towards Malwa. KLF under Budhsinghwala was around Malwa, KCF were big in Majha.

2} Were some Jathebandies more religious than others ? Babbar Khalsa comes to mind as look like nearly all Gur- Sikhs others have non Gur-Sikhs - there were non Amritdharis associated with the Babbars, e.g Manpreet or Harpreet Singh who was a mona, while I beleive Pinky Cat was linked to Sukhdev Singh Babbar and inevitably used this to have him killed.

3} Crossing the borders of India. Its common knowledge there was training and weapons supplied by a neighbouring Country. I would Imagine the punjab (ind) Punjab (pak) would have been red hot in these times and very difficult to cross. I have read  areas that the Rajistan border was used to enter Pakistan. But how did they do it with no maps. no GPS, no mobiles. I doubt there were road signs like there are now. - Smuggler routes were used, Gurnam Singh Bandala was a master of making these trips.

4} Monar in the Movement. Bhai Harjinder Singh Para , Harjinder Singh Jinda , deepa heran wala come to mind were there any more ? - Tony Jalandhar, Rajwinder Singh Raja, Dilvar Singh, Balwant Singh Rajoana, Lakhwinder Singh Lakha, Gurdev Singh BTFK, Jarnail Singh Halwara, there would have been more bearing in mind a lot of college dhe mundeh became associated with the Sangarsh. I was also told a story whilst in Punjab from an ex AISSF member about some of their lads had their haircut especially for certain missions etc. Whilst I dont promote cutting of Kesh, we need to remeber these guys gave everything, while a lot of touts were keshdhari.

5}How did they get around Punajb , ?there were easy to spot  did they have vehicles, Toofan Singh movie shows them travailing on foot and stopping at the first shelter place they could find . I do know they would go to houses in pinds to eat - I would assume by normal forms of transport, e.g. cars, bus (a lot of encounters happened on buses), motorcycles and walking from pind to pind?

6} Communication ? How did they get messages to each other as no mobiles then . - a lot of messages were sent via people linked to the Singhs, or letters and messages/weapons/ money etc were left with certain individuals.

7} What does the word Kharku actually  mean? I always believed this meant somewhere along the lines of strict, brave, militant and someone who stood up for a cause.

On 27/09/2017 at 9:56 AM, Prokharkoo84 said:

1} Were Kharku Jathebandis regionalised ? Was one  Jathebandie more prominent than others  in areas. For example did KLF have more members in one area and KCF in an other. - BTFK Manochahal was active in Majha, Sangha group was more towards Malwa. KLF under Budhsinghwala was around Malwa, KCF were big in Majha.

2} Were some Jathebandies more religious than others ? Babbar Khalsa comes to mind as look like nearly all Gur- Sikhs others have non Gur-Sikhs - there were non Amritdharis associated with the Babbars, e.g Manpreet or Harpreet Singh who was a mona, while I beleive Pinky Cat was linked to Sukhdev Singh Babbar and inevitably used this to have him killed.

3} Crossing the borders of India. Its common knowledge there was training and weapons supplied by a neighbouring Country. I would Imagine the punjab (ind) Punjab (pak) would have been red hot in these times and very difficult to cross. I have read  areas that the Rajistan border was used to enter Pakistan. But how did they do it with no maps. no GPS, no mobiles. I doubt there were road signs like there are now. - Smuggler routes were used, Gurnam Singh Bandala was a master of making these trips.

4} Monar in the Movement. Bhai Harjinder Singh Para , Harjinder Singh Jinda , deepa heran wala come to mind were there any more ? - Tony Jalandhar, Rajwinder Singh Raja, Dilvar Singh, Balwant Singh Rajoana, Lakhwinder Singh Lakha, Gurdev Singh BTFK, Jarnail Singh Halwara, there would have been more bearing in mind a lot of college dhe mundeh became associated with the Sangarsh. I was also told a story whilst in Punjab from an ex AISSF member about some of their lads had their haircut especially for certain missions etc. Whilst I dont promote cutting of Kesh, we need to remeber these guys gave everything, while a lot of touts were keshdhari.

5}How did they get around Punajb , ?there were easy to spot  did they have vehicles, Toofan Singh movie shows them travailing on foot and stopping at the first shelter place they could find . I do know they would go to houses in pinds to eat - I would assume by normal forms of transport, e.g. cars, bus (a lot of encounters happened on buses), motorcycles and walking from pind to pind?

6} Communication ? How did they get messages to each other as no mobiles then . - a lot of messages were sent via people linked to the Singhs, or letters and messages/weapons/ money etc were left with certain individuals.

7} What does the word Kharku actually  mean? I always believed this meant somewhere along the lines of strict, brave, militant and someone who stood up for a cause.

Thanks for your input veer ji. I didn't know about Gurnam Singh bandala but I looked him up and there's a very interesting article on him. The border we see today is like 15 foot high and can shock you. I guess it wasn't like this 80s and 90s. 

On 9/17/2017 at 2:25 PM, S1ngh said:

Most of the police informers belonged were part of jathabandi. Either they were planted or they got changed. One example is "Sukhi the cat". http://www.panthic.org/articles/2327

The police informers were planted by police from the start and were ultimately the downfall of all the Jathebandis. Just one informer would be responsible for the arrest and killings of the other Singhs in his cell. Babbar Khalsa had by far the best solution for this which was to only recruit that Sikh who has the entire Nitnem memorized. memorizing the entire Nitnem was too much hassle for most police officers and requires real dedication.

But I have known from my relative in India that he had a friend who was such a police officer that had memorized Nitnem and grown his beard and kesh just so he could infiltrate Babbars and it is said he had killed some Kharkus as well. He was given promotions for this but later he was killed in a car accident during the late 90s. Some Babbars were really rehitvaan Singhs. Shaheed Gurpal Singh Babbar and Shaheed Anokh Singh Babbar are said to have been Brahmgianis.

Baba Manuchahal had open recruitment policy. Anyone could come and join his group. Baba ji ruled over a large area. Being a former soldier was also a trained fighter as were other Kharkus in his group.

Kharkus had their own justice system parallel to the courts. While the court cases would take years but the Kharkus would do justice quickly and fairly. From my own relatives from Nanke in Amritsar tell me of a case where they were being bothered by their Shreek family after my MamaJi had died they tried to take over my Mamaji's share of the Jameen. The Kharkus were approached who heard both sides and did quick justice by telling the Shreek to stay away from the Jameen that now rightfully belongs to the widow and children of the diseased.