neophyte mistakes

Guest Haridas

Guest Haridas

What are some typical neophyte mistakes?  The errors that people, youth etc make when trying to learn about Sikhi?  Here are a few:

1. Looking for a sense of community/belonging instead of looking for truth/God.

2. Too much emphasis on history rather than spiritual practice (historical interest is fine, but don't neglect Naam Simran etc).

3. Too much involvement in politics or social problems, rather then spiritual interests.

4. Thinking too much about groups are doing, not enough about their individual journey.

5. Being waylaid by controversies and arguments, rather then concentrating on spiritual progress.

6.  Thinking in terms of concepts instead of practising virtues.

7.  picking and choosing from religious texts, and rejecting things that they think do not make sense.  this is narrow mindedness.

8. worrying about 'threats to sikhi' (as if there were any), rather than practicising sikhi.

On 05/09/2017 at 10:28 AM, Guest Haridas said:

What are some typical neophyte mistakes?  The errors that people, youth etc make when trying to learn about Sikhi?  Here are a few:

1. Looking for a sense of community/belonging instead of looking for truth/God.

2. Too much emphasis on history rather than spiritual practice (historical interest is fine, but don't neglect Naam Simran etc).

3. Too much involvement in politics or social problems, rather then spiritual interests.

4. Thinking too much about groups are doing, not enough about their individual journey.

5. Being waylaid by controversies and arguments, rather then concentrating on spiritual progress.

6.  Thinking in terms of concepts instead of practising virtues.

7.  picking and choosing from religious texts, and rejecting things that they think do not make sense.  this is narrow mindedness.

8. worrying about 'threats to sikhi' (as if there were any), rather than practicising sikhi.

Great post!!!

But ppl do these things cuz they want to or cuz they are easier. 

So how to counteract that? Like qt sikh camps they would always tell us to do simran and bhagti and all we wanted to listen to were sakhis about bhoota and history 

Guest Haridas

Hi Asikh,

thank you for your response.

I think the simple answer is by creating awareness.  That was my intention with the post.   For example someone reads this post and realises they might be doing these things, or at least ask themselves if are they making such unknowing mistakes.  (By the way, I think I made these mistakes at some point, so I do not mean it in a 'holier than thou' or condescending manner!).

I do not think Sikh Camps are a good idea, infact I think they may be harmful because they draw people for the wrong reasons, they are based on (i.e. created out of) fear and insecurity (no offence to anyone) and also they may draw people for the wrong reasons (like the ones listed above, e.g. wanting some kind social belonging), and they may promote a kind of frightened cultish or mindless conformist mindset (again no offence intended).  Another thing is, people may suffer bullying at these places by unpleasant people, and come to associate those unpleasant feelings with religion.

For example, if you want to become Khalsa, it should be purely with serving Guruji in mind and not appeasing some social group.