Is amritvela necessary

WJKK WJKF

Is amritvela actually necessary.

I see some people say there is no time to remember maharaj, etc.

And some people say that it is not required but recommended.

And some people say that it is required.

3 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Amritvela is a pseudo-requirement. That means if you can do it, you do it. If you can't you simply can't. I hope that makes sense.

Yes it makes sense, but does the same apply to an amritdhari?

Here's a mind dump of my thoughts as fast I can get them out as I should be doing something else when I write this post!!! (i.e. work!!)

• The importance of AmritVela can't be under estimated
  • There wont be any "progression" without it
    • Progression only comes from Guru's grace but Guru jee is looking for your effort
    • That said executive orders/Nadar/glances of grace from Maharaj can waiver all situations
      • but to depend on this should be frowned upon as Maharaj wants effort
  • I heard in a katha once that a person who bows before the Guru, physically or mentally, during Amritvela wont have to bow/seek the help of others 
  • The ultimate way to get up at AmritVela is have to a huge amount of Prem for Maharaaj
    • However, sustaining Prem and therefore AmritVela in my experience is very hard and depends on your circumstances
      • - e.g. where you are in your journey, your environment, your habits/lifestyle/the company you have etc 
      • the day before AmritVela plays a big part on whether you'll wake up and get up at AmritVela
        • e.g. watching Game of Thrones at 10pm the night before will have an impact!!
  • How hungry are you for it?

I would try to avoid the question of is AmritVela a requirement. 

Try your best to "do" AmritVela in whatever way you can. Don't be lazy but don't beat yourself up about it either as it could hamper motivation.

Ultimately Maharaj knows your situation.

39 minutes ago, monatosingh said:

Yeah it does man. You need to keep Amritvela, it's a rule not a guideline. The whole point of it is discipline and starting your day with Satguru Ji's blessing.

Guest Jacfsing2
1 hour ago, monatosingh said:

It applies to everyone, if you can wake-up at Amritvela, you do exactly that. If for any physical or other situation you can not physically wake-up at Amritvela, then don't beat yourself over it.

It's a very potent time for spiritual reward because mind is fresh and full of concentration and stressless and the world surroundings are quiet 

Best method is begin some simran then recite mool MANTRA then perhaps some recital of memorized bani THEN do Nitnem and then go to Gurdwara thus avoiding sleep is essential

On 23/8/2017 at 9:57 AM, monatosingh said:

WJKK WJKF

Brother monatosingh,

people will always keep talking sometimes with sense and many more times nonsense, let them do what they want or can do, nobody can ever change anybody, everyone is born with their own sanskaras and  destiny karam.

So according to that, they will have their own nature, character, health, mental issues, wealth, friends, foes.....etc

Not only all this, but even the day of coming and going from this world, is already fixed.

So you see,  keeping all this in mind, better not to look what others do or not do, that is their own problem, or better said, let us not judge others, they have their own weight to lift on their backs.

But that does not mean, we should not be polite or helpful at our best towards others.

We should always do good to others, and have good thoughts for others, because in them also, lights up the Jot of Wahiguru.

It is we who have to look at ourselves, as per how much we have understood Gurmat/Bani/Sikhee, because in the end, we have to go alone, no family members, no friends, no enemies, no relatives will come with us.

It is we alone with our load of karam and bhakti, who shall continue our journey of life, and there, what others said or thought has no value.

If anything has value, it is as said above, your good karam, nishkam sewa, and the kamaee of  Prabh ka Simran, which the Bani emphasizes at all times.

So brother, let us see what does Amritwela mean.

Amritwela simply means, the time we intake Amrit, the Amrit of Prabh ka Nao, during its meditation, dhyan or call it simran even.

It is in the early hours, when His devotees engage in Bhakti at the most, let us say between 3 AM and 6 AM, although no time is bad for His Bhakti.

This time of early hours has its own advantages in fulfilling that purpose :

No phone calls, no traffic noise, no guests, no work to distract, no cooking.... so you see there is maximum silence in the atmosphere, which is needed for good concentration, that´s it, otherwise, any time is good which we can engage in His Bhakti, for the real Amrit is within us, which we taste when we get absorbed in His Simran-dhyan, thus become pure, paviter, and finally ajoonee, by merging in Him.

So brother, let people talk and do what they want, and let us look at ourselves, as per how much we have moulded our lives according to the teachings of our beloved Guru Sahiban, through the Bani., so that we can achieve the goal of our human lives, which is none other to go back to Him, and merge in Him

God bless you.

Sat Sree Akal.

On 8/23/2017 at 2:27 PM, monatosingh said:

WJKK WJKF

Amritvela is actually necessary. If we have any confusion then we should first ask Guru Sahib. Any person can be wrong as Guru Sahib says,

ਭੁਲਣ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਅਭੁਲੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ॥
Everyone makes mistakes; only the Guru and the Creator are infallible.

but Guru Sahib cannot be wrong.

For Amritvela we should read bani of Guru Ramdas Sahib,

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru the True Guru shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

This Shabad confirms that we have to do Amritvela. Also, Bhai Gurdas Ji has written daily conduct of Gurmukh.

ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠ ਕਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਸਰੁ ਨ੍ਹਾਵੰਦਾ।
The Gurmukh getting up in ambrosial hours of the early morning takes bath in the sacred tank.

ਗੁਰੁ ਕੈ ਬਚਨ ਉਚਾਰਿ ਕੈ ਧ੍ਰਮਸਾਲਾ ਦੀ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਕਰੰਦਾ।
Reciting the holy hymns of the Guru, he moves towards Gurudwara, the central place for Sikh.

When Gurbani confirmed that we have to do Amritvela then we shouldn't listen to any person for confirmation of doing or not.