Conversion to Sikhi ?!

Guest PH09891283

Guest PH09891283

Is conversion to Sikhi welcome ?

I wasn't born in India (we only go there once every three years to meet relatives) so I can't really read the Gurmukhi script or any proper punjabi script....... 

My parents took me to a gurudwara regularly as the closest temple was too far, and my hindi was weak so I didn't want to go there anyway.

I'm aged 16 - 20 if that matters.

Guest Jacfsing2

I'm assuming that you seem knowledgeable about the Sikh faith; however, it is important that regardless of all that knowledge you acquire from books, there is also some practical Bhagti knowledge as well. Try doing some Paht, some simran, (even though many Sikhs suggest Naam is only given through Satguru in form of Punj Pyare, it's still important for Non-Amritdharis to do simran), read up on not only the outside references but sometimes Gurbani itself.

17 hours ago, Guest PH09891283 said:

I wasn't born in India (we only go there once every three years to meet relatives) so I can't really read the Gurmukhi script or any proper punjabi script....... 

My parents took me to a gurudwara regularly as the closest temple was too far, and my hindi was weak so I didn't want to go there anyway.

I'm aged 16 - 20 if that matters.

Conversion to sikhi is welcome. Some answerers have assumed you're a guy, you maybe , but I won't assume anyways.

Start with 3 principles of Guru Nanak "Meditate on name of god;  Earn hard for what you eat;  Share what you have with others".

Also read english translation of Guru granth sahib if you can. There are resources online.

The word "sikh" comes from sanskrit "sisya" meaning student . A student is someone who learns steadily . 

I won't ask you to go directly take amrit , keep your uncut hair or wear a turban . I think you need to let sikhi grow from within . One day it might show outside as well. 

Listen more baani and kirtan and read baani . Meditate on name of god (Waheguru) in  hours before dawn (arnd 5 am)

So be steady, keep learning. Best wishes :) 

On 8/19/2017 at 9:14 PM, Guest PH09891283 said:

A gurdwara outside of India used Hindi as the parchar medium? This is a new one to me. I wonder where this could have been. OOPs, OK, I see: you're a Hindu, and you just went to the Gurdwara because it was closer.

Yes, conversion is welcome if done under appropriate circumstances (no compulsion, also I would never say to someone to divorce their wife to become a Sikh).

I can't really read the Gurmukhi script or any proper punjabi script....... 

OK, you don't read Gurmukhi. Are you a Punjabi? Do you speak Punjabi, if only a little? Only reason I ask is it will be easier to learn to read Punjabi if you already somewhat speak it.

I don't advise that you should become a Sikh right away. Rather, you should learn about Sikh philosophy. You should listen (if you can't read) to the path (recitation) of Guru Granth Sahib, easily available online.

Please ignore the other user who said if you went to a Gurdwara, you're already a Sikh. But before I say anything else, 

Why do you want to become a Sikh? Is there a problem remaining a Hindu?

18 minutes ago, akalpurakh098 said:

[OP here.]

Thank you for the kind response. 

Yes I have read a lot about the religion, I'll also add Punjabi isn't a problem (we speak that at home), my parents are originally from Amritsar (should have mentioned that), it's just the non-familiarity with the Gurmukhi script. And yeah, I'm a guy.

Learning Gurmukhi should not be very difficult (in contrast it is much harder to learn sanskrit and read the Gita/ vedas), I will refer to the basics of Sikhi playlist on that.

OK, great. But again, why do you want to become a Sikh? Is there a problem remaining a Hindu?