Jump to content
Big_Tera

Sikhs Wearing Hindu Threads

Recommended Posts

Big_Tera    373

Why do many Sikhs wear Hindu Threads around their wrists?

I have seen so many. They also wear the kara at the same time. 

At many a time I have thought about giving one of these confused people a good hard thapar for their foolishness. But not sure what its all about. 

Are these people copying Hindus?

Edited by Big_Tera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
monatosingh    82

There are only two people in my family who don't participate in the 'fun festival'. (Me as a practicing amritdhari, and my older cousin who is an amritdhari).

My theory is because in India they celebrate any tradition whatever the religion.

And most of my family is pure indian, not born here most of them and they probably brought it here if you know what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jkvlondon    3,419
1 hour ago, monatosingh said:

There are only two people in my family who don't participate in the 'fun festival'. (Me as a practicing amritdhari, and my older cousin who is an amritdhari).

My theory is because in India they celebrate any tradition whatever the religion.

And most of my family is pure indian, not born here most of them and they probably brought it here if you know what I mean.

simply lack of spine ...if someone says jai mata di or jai shri Ram the number of fools who feel peer pressure to join is astonishing. Then they use the old coconut of sikhi respects all religions, and we shouldn't hurt others feelings i.e. join in because the others will die of broken heart if we didn't...  

It has gotten to the stage that SIkhs have to join in 'Holi' celebrations else they risk losing their lives on the road . My Mama and Mami ji got stopped on the road to Bihar , she was quick thinking and said how can we celebrate my mother has died(in truth some year prior) then they were let through

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

your talking about mauli?yes Its Hindu traditional thread for blessing  but these days is seen  fashion item and people exchange Mauli on friendship day. I have even seen white folks with Mauli. I dont think its case of following Hindu's 

As for Celebrating other religions festive again  I dont see the harm in that. I celebrate Christmas (not in the traditional sense) but i family dinner, xmas tree etc. That does not make me a Christian. its just an chance to celebrate and be happy (which the world needs more of )  Now if you are forced to celebrate  like    @jkvlondon family members were that not a different matter and totally wrong. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Balkaar    1,425
37 minutes ago, Punjabiwolves said:

your talking about mauli?yes Its Hindu traditional thread for blessing  but these days is seen  fashion item and people exchange Mauli on friendship day. I have even seen white folks with Mauli. I dont think its case of following Hindu's 

As for Celebrating other religions festive again  I dont see the harm in that. I celebrate Christmas (not in the traditional sense) but i family dinner, xmas tree etc. That does not make me a Christian. its just an chance to celebrate and be happy (which the world needs more of )  Now if you are forced to celebrate  like    @jkvlondon family members were that not a different matter and totally wrong. 

 

 

 

Xmas has pretty much lost its religious connotations even for most Westerners, it's really just about getting together with family and friends, eating too much. I even know Muslims who celebrate it for this reason. 

Hindu threads on the other hand have inescapable, overtly religious meanings. Moreover these religious meanings are almost always highly negative and anti-Sikh. Rakhi enshrines inequality between genders, janeu inequality between the castes (caste system essentially amounts to slavery, even worse perhaps, a slave could at least escape his bondage), and various others are said to protect against poots and buri nazar and Cthulhu and 4uck only knows what else.  Sikhs should not wear things which carry such negativity. 

Edited by Balkaar
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jkvlondon    3,419
2 hours ago, Punjabiwolves said:

your talking about mauli?yes Its Hindu traditional thread for blessing  but these days is seen  fashion item and people exchange Mauli on friendship day. I have even seen white folks with Mauli. I dont think its case of following Hindu's 

As for Celebrating other religions festive again  I dont see the harm in that. I celebrate Christmas (not in the traditional sense) but i family dinner, xmas tree etc. That does not make me a Christian. its just an chance to celebrate and be happy (which the world needs more of )  Now if you are forced to celebrate  like    @jkvlondon family members were that not a different matter and totally wrong. 

 

 

the white people who follow kaballah tie red threads .. seems to lot of jantar mantar involved (magic spells )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big_Tera    373
On 17/08/2017 at 1:56 PM, monatosingh said:

There are only two people in my family who don't participate in the 'fun festival'. (Me as a practicing amritdhari, and my older cousin who is an amritdhari).

My theory is because in India they celebrate any tradition whatever the religion.

And most of my family is pure indian, not born here most of them and they probably brought it here if you know what I mean.

 

Okay

Edited by Big_Tera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big_Tera    373
On 17/08/2017 at 5:35 PM, Punjabiwolves said:

your talking about mauli?yes Its Hindu traditional thread for blessing  but these days is seen  fashion item and people exchange Mauli on friendship day. I have even seen white folks with Mauli. I dont think its case of following Hindu's 

As for Celebrating other religions festive again  I dont see the harm in that. I celebrate Christmas (not in the traditional sense) but i family dinner, xmas tree etc. That does not make me a Christian. its just an chance to celebrate and be happy (which the world needs more of )  Now if you are forced to celebrate  like    @jkvlondon family members were that not a different matter and totally wrong. 

 

 

Not sure what its called but it looks silly

In one hand you wear a kara in the same hand you wear a hindu thread. Its a disgrace. 

Edited by Big_Tera
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big_Tera    373
7 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

simply lack of spine ...if someone says jai mata di or jai shri Ram the number of fools who feel peer pressure to join is astonishing. Then they use the old coconut of sikhi respects all religions, and we shouldn't hurt others feelings i.e. join in because the others will die of broken heart if we didn't...  

It has gotten to the stage that SIkhs have to join in 'Holi' celebrations else they risk losing their lives on the road . My Mama and Mami ji got stopped on the road to Bihar , she was quick thinking and said how can we celebrate my mother has died(in truth some year prior) then they were let through

What the heck has this got to do with wearing a thread around your wrist. 

Its got nothing to do with holi or hindu festivals.  These fools wear it all round the year. Maybe they think they are half hindu half sikhs. or whatever they call themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jkvlondon    3,419
Just now, Big_Tera said:

What the heck has this got to do with wearing a thread around your wrist. 

Its got nothing to do with holi or hindu festivals.  These fools wear it all round the year. Maybe they think they are half hindu half sikhs. or whatever they call themselves. 

my point is even the sikhs who are sikh from both sides are slip sliding into following the whole hindu shebang from threads, to fasting (my sis was expected to keep karva chauth by MIL , which we told them aint happening) believing in manglik , enough stupid pointless things, hedging bets by visiting all sorts of mandirs, tombs, etc The common sense has flown from their brains... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Preeet    541

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh, ji

There is a large population of Hindus who worship our Guru jis as well as their own Gods. Even when I went to mandirs before outside of India, there would be pictures of Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji being worshiped along with Gods. Even some of sangat in the temple would say vaheguru vaheguru in front of the shivling while pouring milk rather than om namah shivaya. & you should remember the traditional religion of punjabis before sikhism and islam was that religion. I have a feeling that you haven't been to Punjab recently. There are a lot of people who look sikh while wearing threads and rings/tilaks (I have no objection to them) etc. Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BhForce    529
1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

my point is even the sikhs who are sikh from both sides are slip sliding into following the whole hindu shebang from threads, to fasting (my sis was expected to keep karva chauth by MIL , which we told them aint happening) believing in manglik , enough stupid pointless things, hedging bets by visiting all sorts of mandirs, tombs, etc The common sense has flown from their brains... 

While agreeing that the fasting and tombs and such are out of the question, including getting threads from babas and of course the janeu, would the same apply to non-religious gift threads like Rakhri?

If so, are we also prohibited from wearing a medal, whose strap is made of thread? If not, why not?

If we can't wear Rakhri, can we wear friendship bracelets? And LiveStrong bracelets?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kira    1,219
48 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh, ji

There is a large population of Hindus who worship our Guru jis as well as their own Gods. Even when I went to mandirs before outside of India, there would be pictures of Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji being worshiped along with Gods. Even some of sangat in the temple would say vaheguru vaheguru in front of the shivling while pouring milk rather than om namah shivaya. & you should remember the traditional religion of punjabis before sikhism and islam was that religion. I have a feeling that you haven't been to Punjab recently. There are a lot of people who look sikh while wearing threads and rings/tilaks (I have no objection to them) etc. Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh

Yes so because they do it, that means its right. Majority of Sikhs drink so lets all start doing that. Just open up and say it. As long as your dear old Hindu friends do it, you'll be happy to call it Sikhi. But god forbid if a Muslim or a Christian put his traditions forward, you would have a spaz attack and scream at how it's blasphemy.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji refused to wear the thread, Any true Gursikh wouldn't wear it. No true Sikh ever did wear it. Bhai Chuapa Singh Ji's rehitnama forbids it, So does Bhai Daya Singh Ji's Rehitnama, Gurbani says again and again about how its futile. 

If you have any shred of respect for them then you'd hold the same opinion. 

 

Also why are you doing Prachar now, you said only Brahmgyanis should be allowed to do it as its too dangerous for the rest of us. Posting stuff here where people can see is Prachar, so I take it you think you're a brahmgyani now?

15 minutes ago, BhForce said:

While agreeing that the fasting and tombs and such are out of the question, including getting threads from babas and of course the janeu, would the same apply to non-religious gift threads like Rakhri?

If so, are we also prohibited from wearing a medal, whose strap is made of thread? If not, why not?

If we can't wear Rakhri, can we wear friendship bracelets? And LiveStrong bracelets?

 

Bro Rakhri is steeped in Hindumat. The whole story and premise rests in Vedic traditions and total blanket sexism, Guru Sahib said woman can protect themselves fine, why would they need a man to promise to do something he would do anyway. 

To answer your question to the best of my ability, medals aren't really religious in nature. The thread doesn't serve any purpose except to hold something in place. While with all these other kinds its for either A) protection B) some sort of amulet for power C) sexism or D) all of the above. We need to look at the context as well.

Edited by Kira
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simran345    2,426
45 minutes ago, Preeet said:

(I have no objection to them)

Nothing surprising there then. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simran345    2,426

Going back to the red thread, I thought it was the gaani (red thread) that was tied at weddings, and people keep it on like forever until it falls off 😴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×