Jump to content
Guest Manpreet

Are these Traditional Sikh baby names?

Recommended Posts

Guest Manpreet

Hi, 

Im looking at two names but I'm unsure if they're proper sikh names as different websites say different things. 

What are your views?

Ashreet for a boy

Aarya/Aria for a girl

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest Manpreet said:

Hi, 

Im looking at two names but I'm unsure if they're proper sikh names as different websites say different things. 

What are your views?

Ashreet for a boy

Aarya/Aria for a girl

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Aarya is taken to mean, Durga or Parvati  I wouldn't pick it because this is honouring a goddess rather than Akal purakh 

 or  Aria- musical solo piece in an opera  not really saying much about your child 

Ashreet or Ashrit means Dependent i would choose a more empowering name  like

Ajit - Unconquerable,

Anokh- extraordinary/Wonderous

Anup /Anoop - without comparison

Ajai - always victorious 

Abhay/Abhae- Fearless

remember sikh names are unisex so what would be greater than a Kaur/Singh with a name that roars confidence, inspires chardikala?

 

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jacfsing2
5 hours ago, Guest Manpreet said:

Hi, 

Im looking at two names but I'm unsure if they're proper sikh names as different websites say different things. 

What are your views?

Ashreet for a boy

Aarya/Aria for a girl

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Usually Sikh names are unisex, (I say usually instead of always because some names are more popular for one gender over another). Personally, you yourself should be confident at finding a name for your child, but there are better choices that sound more religious. If the akhar was "Aera", (can't use Gurmukhi keyboard, but it's the second letter), then some choices are Anand, Ajit, Amrit, Anoop, and Amar, (as well as multiple syllable combinations), though try to avoid names related to Guru Sahib.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2017 at 4:03 AM, jkvlondon said:

Aarya is taken to mean, Durga or Parvati  I wouldn't pick it because this is honouring a goddess rather than Akal purakh 

Aarya is not a name I've ever heard in the Sikh context, and it's probably not a name I would favor, but ... I don't know why we would have to reject it specifically on the basis that it refers in literal meaning to Durga. After all there are plenty of Sikhs named after Hindu gods/avatars: Ram Singh, Hari Singh. The latter was the name of the Sikh Kingdom's great general.

Not to even mention Guru Ram Dass ji, Guru Arjan Dev ji, Guru HarGobind ji, Guru Har Rai ji, Guru HarKrishan ji, and Guru Gobind Singh ji, all named after "Hindu" personages. Now if you say "Ram" is actually referring to God, OK, fine. But the same would also apply to all the other names given above, including Aarya.

Also, does Beethal refer to God, or a Maharashtrian demigod?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2017 at 9:02 AM, Jacfsing2 said:

Usually Sikh names are unisex, (I say usually instead of always because some names are more popular for one gender over another). Personally, you yourself should be confident at finding a name for your child, but there are better choices that sound more religious. If the akhar was "Aera", (can't use Gurmukhi keyboard, but it's the second letter), then some choices are Anand, Ajit, Amrit, Anoop, and Amar, (as well as multiple syllable combinations), though try to avoid names related to Guru Sahib.

in the 90s generation, there is increase of sikh girls being named with suffixes - 'leen' . Navleen, Gurleen, Harleen, etc . But otherwise its ok . most names are unisex anyways 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Baljinder Chahal

Ashreet would suit a girl more and Aarya sounds Hindu. I would suggest names like:

BOY

Amrit

Angad

Arjan

Achint

Avtar

Ajit

Arshdeep

Armaan

Abinaash

Amol

GIRL

Amarleen

Akalroop

Amrit

Amanpreet

Anmol

Ashnoor

Ashmeet

Avneet

Asreet

Avnoor

HOPE I HELPED! ^_^:waheguru:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, Guest Baljinder Chahal said:

Ashreet would suit a girl more and Aarya sounds Hindu. I would suggest names like:

BOY

Amrit

Angad

Arjan

Achint

Avtar

Ajit

Arshdeep

Armaan

Abinaash

Amol

GIRL

Amarleen

Akalroop

Amrit

Amanpreet

Anmol

Ashnoor

Ashmeet

Avneet

Asreet

Avnoor

HOPE I HELPED! ^_^:waheguru:

Those are quite nice names...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×