Sikhs giving Non-Sikh names

Guest Jacfsing2

5 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

On the issue of names I was just wondering we should bring old sikh names (18th century) back . 18th century was most harsh century in history of sikhs. Back then , we had names like "Bijla singh" , "khadak singh", "NauNihal singh" , "Nihal singh" , "Mehtaap singh" , "Gurbaksh singh" , and so on. All sound very heavy and regal.

Nihal Singh. Sounds like a tamil presenter on bbc asian

Along as we stop with the silly names

like lovepreet ect. 

Guest Jacfsing2
1 hour ago, Balkaar said:

What is a 'Sikh' name anyway? Most of the Guru Sahibaan and other Sikhs throughout history had Hindu/pre-Sikhism Punjabi names.  

I define a Sikh name as one that comes from the Naam Karan ceremony. These people seemingly take their names from Thai saints and from Thai books. Also Guru Sahib from time to time would personally give people their names at times. Bhai Lehna became was changed into (Dhan Dhan Sri Guru) Angad Dev Ji, Bhai Jetha into (Dhan Dhan Sri Guru) Ram Das Ji. Naming of those who didn't become Guru Sahib was also done, Madho Das became Gurbaksh Singh, (known historically as Banda Singh Bahadur), Baba Buddha was given his name, as well as many others.

10 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Such bullsht excuses ! 

We will bend over backward to any extent just to appear "cool" , when infact no one gives 2 crrap to no matter how much you handle out freebies in the name of "langar" and "sewa" . Langar just meant roti daal sabzi, simple and healthy , not the processed food crrap we see in gurdwara nowadays.

Not the "lets hand out coke and bagels" we see in chowks of western cities. You think the gorey give 2 crrap that you're giving free handouts to them ? they are prolly thinking you're doing nothing special as you prolly own them atleast that much for living in their country.

Wherever the christian and muslims went, they spread their culture , eating habit, dressing habit , and religion. We lose ours wherever we go. Sometimes I wonder god revealing sikhi to a group (punjabi) that is so grossly opposite to sikhi just goes on to prove god is just trolling humans lol seriously

You have a point or you just like to complain!! White Christians ruled Punjab for 100 years, and they were not able to convert us to their religion, even though they had all the control. If you cannot be proud of your religion then keep your mouth shut!

Guest Jacfsing2
11 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Wherever the christian and muslims went, they spread their culture , eating habit, dressing habit , and religion. We lose ours wherever we go. Sometimes I wonder god revealing sikhi to a group (punjabi) that is so grossly opposite to sikhi just goes on to prove god is just trolling humans lol seriously

Christianity and Islam actively send missionaries, Sikhs don't do that, and when they do preach, we have some liberal extremists among us, telling us not to do Prachar. Also if you compare the Raj of Ranjit Singh and the Sikh Empire to the devout Christian and Islamic empires, the former didn't care about saving people's souls, while the Christian and Muslim kingdoms didn't allow other faiths to expand.

42 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Christianity and Islam actively send missionaries, Sikhs don't do that, and when they do preach, we have some liberal extremists among us, telling us not to do Prachar. Also if you compare the Raj of Ranjit Singh and the Sikh Empire to the devout Christian and Islamic empires, the former didn't care about saving people's souls, while the Christian and Muslim kingdoms didn't allow other faiths to expand.

SO ??

Should we be proud of that attitude ? Its because of this attitude that we're in this state now.

I am happy with Ranjit singh's rule, he was a big asset to sikh community, I just have a problem with this neo-sikh attitude that actively converting people is wrong . As long as you're not using sword or deception, everything is fair. Target kids, not adults. Adults won't listen. 

12 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

I have and will push for Dharmic names if you can stop the hunny, bunny, tinky, pinky, rinky brigade in your locales - Deal?

Ultimately every name is name of god, Dharmic names are ok, but what about abrahamic names of god in SGGS ?

like raheem, kareem , rehman, khuda, parvardigaar ? why can't we have names like 'raheem singh', 'kareem singh' , 'rehman singh' and so on ?

We had names like ram singh, gopal singh, manmohan singh, all names from hindu background.

I always feel we're ok with accpting hindus but not muslims ..