what is sikhi's take on contraceptives

Guest couple

Guest couple

SSA,  I am a 30 year old sikh man. Married a few years back to my loving wife

Wanted to know is contraceptive use unnatural in sikhism? Since it doesn't lead to childbirth . I know adultery is prohibited and is sin but is having contraception sex with your wife a sin too? 

I'm not married so I can't really give you advice about marital relations but what I do know is that Kaam is a huge burden on the world, the world is being ruled by Kaam. Martial relations for the sake of getting closer is fine but at the same time make sure you don't succumb to that lust. From that, take what you wish my man and good luck.

Guest Jacfsing2

I'm not married, but in situations like this use your own judgment. There's no direct answer from Gurbani that I could find, (if anyone else finds something, directly related to this issue do post it), so the best advice I'd give is understand that a Kaam isn't the center of a marriage, just an extra necessity. But don't be forgetting the great Vaheguru! :waheguru:

On 11/08/2017 at 11:05 PM, Guest couple said:

SSA,  I am a 30 year old sikh man. Married a few years back to my loving wife

Wanted to know is contraceptive use unnatural in sikhism? Since it doesn't lead to childbirth . I know adultery is prohibited and is sin but is having contraception sex with your wife a sin too? 

You will not be doing your jeevan or her jeevan any good.  Many will mistranslate Gurbani to make them feel good about doing wrong acts.  I'm glad you didn't do this here.  Focus on something else in life together.  Forget about first world problems by thinking about how a person in a 3rd world country can't even find water to drink. His shoes are the very soles of of his feet covered in dirt. That thought will surely take the desire out of you. Its like the amritdharis couples thinking about buying a $125000 vehicle or should we go with the $150000 vehicle.  But guess what they are vegetarians and go to the gurdwara on Sundays.  First world problems are so hard to deal with, what to do, what to do.....I know you get the 125k car and I will get 150k SUV.  But my Kara is made out of iron.....I don't buy gold kara because I'm not materialist.  

Guest London jwaan
12 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

You will not be doing your jeevan or her jeevan any good.  Many will mistranslate Gurbani to make them feel good about doing wrong acts.  I'm glad you didn't do this here.  Focus on something else in life together.  Forget about first world problems by thinking about how a person in a 3rd world country can't even find water to drink. His shoes are the very soles of of his feet covered in dirt. That thought will surely take the desire out of you. Its like the amritdharis couples thinking about buying a $125000 vehicle or should we go with the $150000 vehicle.  But guess what they are vegetarians and go to the gurdwara on Sundays.  First world problems are so hard to deal with, what to do, what to do.....I know you get the 125k car and I will get 150k SUV.  But my Kara is made out of iron.....I don't buy gold kara because I'm not materialist.  

What has this rambling got to do with the ops question??

op- there is absolutely nothing wrong with using contraception with your wife. having physical relations.with your wife is to be celebrated. It's natural and nothing to do with kaam....

waheguru ji ka Khalsa

All sikh ladies I know take contraceptives.  

During my grandma's time,  so many infants passed away due to lack of good medical services.  Therefore only 3 or 4 kids survived. There was no need for contraception. These days you need to plan your family.  It is important to be able to support and look after the kids you will bring into this world.  

2 minutes ago, sikhni777 said:

During my grandma's time,  so many infants passed away due to lack of good medical services.  Therefore only 3 or 4 kids survived. There was no need for contraception. These days you need to plan your family.  It is important to be able to support and look after the kids you will bring into this world.  

Clearly you have been brainwashed by bad sangat.  

Guest Jacfsing2
10 minutes ago, sikhni777 said:

Now I'm neutral on the entire issue, but the reason contraception wasn't widely used in the past wasn't because they were expecting their infants to die, but because people had larger families back then, so they wouldn't try using external birth control. Also considering that it's a western idea, instead of a Subcontinent idea to limit births, many people wouldn't try limiting how many kids they had either.

given that there are multiple bad side effects to female contraception

:heightened risk of stroke, vein thrombosis

masculine hair growth 

permanent damage to fertility

cancer risk increases especially breast 

why would you go that route , if you are married having kids is part of the deal , if they come sooner or later it really doesn't matter as they will only come when sent ...

males can use contraceptives but in the context of sikhi this is kind of encouraging kaami outlook and failing to take responsibility for deeds . Not ideal . Maybe the best way is to discuss expectations as a couple and maybe accept that you would welcome a child in your lives through the natural course of things . Guru ji wants you to be happy and loving towards your partner and truly there is never a perfect time for 'planning' kids as most guys postpone so much that the bibian suffer healthwise from late pregnancies and possible infertility.(studies show more likely to have multiples e.g.twins triplets with older mums). In my life if my husband had followed the external model of travel have fun before kids then we probably wouldn't have a single child now twenty years down the line ...we are happy and we can enjoy our forties and fifties as our kids are mostly adult now.

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh, ji

When someone wants to use contraception, they adding to their kaam desires because the motive is sexual orgasms.. The goal for Sikhs should be to decrease the 5 dukhs (such as kaam) within their life (and add bhakti), not to encourage them with contraception. These are just my thoughts on this. When something adds to the 5 dukhs, it should be avoided if the consequences are not desired..! bhull chuk maaf kijye Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh