OneBeing

Teach Me How To Tie A Dumalla

24 posts in this topic

I keep trying to tie one, but I can't.

Can someone give me a step by step tutorial or something cuz most of the tutorials on youtube are not good enough.

I've got a small head, so what length of material do i need etc.

I want something that i can tie everyday and will be suitable for wearing in school.

Oh and apparently you gotta tie dumallas to be a "true sikh". 😑😐😯

Edited by OneBeing
Cuz i just can m8...
1 person likes this

8 hours ago, OneBeing said:

Can someone give me a step by step tutorial or something cuz most of the tutorials on youtube are not good enough.

I want something that i can tie everyday and will be suitable for wearing in school.

Do you want to tie a gol dumala or the other kind ?

Edited by TaksalDaSingh9771
1 person likes this

How nice to hear that! I wear a round one myself. I agree, the youtube videos never show you how to get it neat and tidy from the back.

Edited by kangw
1 person likes this

Do you want a step-by-step tutorial? Also are you trying to learn Gol Dastar or dumalla?

Who told you that?

1 person likes this

There are many people I see with different styles (like patiala shahe) and they are amritdhari's.

Let me define what a true sikh is: Someone who has given their head to their guru and follow FULL (and I mean FULL) maryada. Such as eating only from sarbloh plates, etc.

But a true sikh can be even further than that!

Did you know most Guru's wore mughal style turbans?

Edited by monatosingh
1 person likes this

As for tying a dumalla, what I do is get the smaller material of all my materials and make a knot at the end. I then grip it to the back of my head and wrap my hair in it. I don't twist it, I just casually tie it around. From there I cover whatever is sticking out from the knot with a whole lahr. 

For the dumalla itself, it can be anything. A dumalla isn't necessarily a 2 foot stick inside. I suggest to tie it like how singni's tend to tie it. It's more easier and I tie it when I am in a hurry.

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, TaksalDaSingh9771 said:

Do you want to tie a gol dumala or the other kind ?

I want to tie one like Jagraj Singh from Basics Of Sikhi maybe

1 person likes this

58 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Do you want a step-by-step tutorial? Also are you trying to learn Gol Dastar or dumalla?

Who told you that?

I saw a video a while back of some nihang singh saying that we are suppose to wear dumallas because "guru sahib blessed us with it" and we should be "ashamed of ourselves" for wearing the triangle ones.

Is that true?

Edited by OneBeing

On 10/08/2017 at 9:34 AM, OneBeing said:

Oh and apparently you gotta tie dumallas to be a "true sikh"

Edited by SinghOne

bro ,

dumalla  is two turbans , the form is not important as many gursikh have worn patiala style on top of gol inner ones such as Bhai jeevan singh ji and he definitely was a true Gursikh

7 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

bro ,

dumalla  is two turbans , the form is not important as many gursikh have worn patiala style on top of gol inner ones such as Bhai jeevan singh ji and he definitely was a true Gursikh

Ok, but i want to wear one that no one can take off my head. If some guy tries to slap it off, it wont work.

1 hour ago, OneBeing said:

Ok, but i want to wear one that no one can take off my head. If some guy tries to slap it off, it wont work.

This is a bad idea...reason being if you have ever been In  a real fight you will know your enemy will pull your pagh and your kesh and use it to your disadvantage.  You should tie your dumalla in such a way that if any scum bag hanks or grapples you , your dastaar will come off and they can't drag you...and no your kesh will stay intact in your head without coming undone. Didn't some sings die many years back because their dastaara wrapped around their arms in the water? Something to think about.

1 hour ago, Destruction said:

This is a bad idea...reason being if you have ever been In  a real fight you will know your enemy will pull your pagh and your kesh and use it to your disadvantage.  You should tie your dumalla in such a way that if any scum bag hanks or grapples you , your dastaar will come off and they can't drag you...and no your kesh will stay intact in your head without coming undone. Didn't some sings die many years back because their dastaara wrapped around their arms in the water? Something to think about.

So basically, tie a small loose one? 

Also, if your two turbans (keski and main) are the same color make sure you don't mix them by using the main as the keski and the keski as the main. Hate when it happens :(

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, OneBeing said:

So basically, tie a small loose one? 

The way i do it i wrap up my jura then tie a ghol dastaar, if my dastaar does come off my jura is wrapped super tight so it won't come undone. In your case wrap your Jura do ur bunga and tie your dumalla so incase it can come off it won't drag you with it. Hope I make sense Khalsa Ji?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, monatosingh said:

Also, if your two turbans (keski and main) are the same color make sure you don't mix them by using the main as the keski and the keski as the main. Hate when it happens :(

Yeah, The keski would probably have less width than the main turban that goes on top.  So checking the width of both first will tell you the difference between the two. That'll avoid the problem of mixing them up.

Edited by OneBeing

45 minutes ago, Destruction said:

The way i do it i wrap up my jura then tie a ghol dastaar, if my dastaar does come off my jura is wrapped super tight so it won't come undone. In your case wrap your Jura do ur bunga and tie your dumalla so incase it can come off it won't drag you with it. Hope I make sense Khalsa Ji?

Cool, thanks for the advice 👍

Do not wrap your jura tight.  Eventually you will start getting headaches and you will start losing hair.

Wrap the jura in cloth that will be the base of your bunga.  If the bunga looks small, take some more material and wrap it around the bunga.  Then comes your keski.  Start by wrapping the keski with your ears being covered by the material and moving up toward the bunga.  3 or 4 wraps would do the trick.  Keep the keski firm.  Lastly, the outer material.  The first wrap will determine how tight rest of the dastar will be.  This is where I make the dastar tight enough for doing burpees like movement.  Being able to jump off of 4 feet heights and not have the dummalla move or losen up. 

No dastar can stay on your head in a fist fight.  No matter how tight you have wrapped it.  However, if you live in India or a different country where they allow  shastar to be in the dastar your in luck.  Place sharp visible shastar in your dummalla.  Anyone trying to pull your dastar will get nasty cuts on their hands.  Place a chakra at the round part of the dummalla.  Any Person thinking about to pull the dastar will know the outside blade is sharp.  If they don't.  They will learn a great lesson.

1 person likes this

WJKK WJKF

Another thing I've experienced is never go too tight on the temple. Eventually your eyes will start hurting and it's worse in places like school, work, etc. This also happens due to jura too tight.

One issue for me is my ear, it's got some sort of cut but some people think its due to the material of the turban. You could then uncover your ears for a bit (if it doesn't take too long to retie it) or you could get your sa-lye (or baaz how some people like to call it) and then pick the lahr on your ear.

(This may not apply for you, OneBeing but if anyone else might be experiencing these problems).

WJKK WJKF

11 minutes ago, monatosingh said:

WJKK WJKF

Another thing I've experienced is never go too tight on the temple. Eventually your eyes will start hurting and it's worse in places like school, work, etc. This also happens due to jura too tight.

One issue for me is my ear, it's got some sort of cut but some people think its due to the material of the turban. You could then uncover your ears for a bit (if it doesn't take too long to retie it) or you could get your sa-lye (or baaz how some people like to call it) and then pick the lahr on your ear.

(This may not apply for you, OneBeing but if anyone else might be experiencing these problems).

WJKK WJKF

The ear getting a cut can be due to material but surely its because the dastar is too tight.

it's a bit of

3 minutes ago, Akalifauj said:

The ear getting a cut can be due to material but surely its because the dastar is too tight.

bit of  both friction and tightness will do it every time.I  only put one lard over the ears after running a tighter one under the ear around the head to grip at base of head . it  works better for me as I have very slippery kesh

Edited by jaspindjy

19 minutes ago, jaspindjy said:

Next you be marrying someone with a dumb face and smokers bad teeth not keen to work.

What does this comment have to do with O.P's question?

Edited by jaspindjy