Lessons to be learnt from the Khalistan Movement

On 24/08/2017 at 8:20 AM, TejS said:

I think the greatest lessons to be learnt from the Khalistan movement are that we are firstly an extremely divided community, secondly an incompetent one, and finally that the movement is worthless in the present-day.

Expanding on my first point, Sikhs don't know who they are! Sikhs face the biggest identity crisis in the subcontinent, even more so than Indian/Pakistani converted Muslims. How so? Well although Indian/Pakistani Muslims may claim they are descended from Arabs/Persians/Afghans, they are firm and sure on one thing, and that is that they're Muslim. Sikhs don't know what they are. Heck, my own extended family doesn't know what we are. They wear turbans, but celebrate Karva Chauth. They acknowledge the teachings of Guru Nanak, but accept that they are a branch of Hinduism. Until Sikhs don't align themselves with each other, no Sikh sovereignty related movement will flourish or go through. KPS Gill, Kuldip S Brar are examples of the confused Sikhs. 

My second point is one of extreme relevance. I think post 1947, Sikhs have become extremely incompetent. This is quite evident in the Khalistan movement. The martyrs were extremely motivated individuals, but lacked any communal support. There were no wealthy and powerful Sikhs to fund them, or any famous Sikh media personalities to rationalize and voice the Khalistani cause. This could be partly due to that fact that Sikhs are divided amongst each other, but I think its more likely that we didn't have any notable members in our community at that time, apart a from the odd one out, and still don't. We have no Sikh in academia, the arts and sciences, business, medicine. 

My last point follows my second point, the Khalistani seperatist movement, considering the current incompetent state our community is in, is worthless and should not be followed, promoted, or continued on with for the meantime. The problem with us, or perhaps its a quality of ours, is that we have always fought against the system, be it the Mughals, British and now the Indian gov't. Our community needs a breather. We need to rejuvenate, and come back stronger. I see so many of our youth waste their energy on the Khalistan movement, that I wonder had they done so much for their own personal development, perhaps they could have progressed further. We as a community are in desperate need of redirection, and I think that the direction has already been laid down for us, and that is the Jewish people. If you look at the Jewish diaspora, although it is half of our population, they command exceptionally far more power than our community, far more than the stalwart Christians, Hindus, and Muslims. They are in positions, and in roles in the US that not have only secured the socioeconomic status of American Jews, but has allowed them to make their voice heard. We need to emulate the accomplishments of the Jewish people, in fact apart from religious doctrine, we are not too different from them, we have been similarly persecuted as they are, and we've survived and that's what makes me hopeful that we can ultimately secure victory. We need to bring our arms down, and reconnect with Sikhi. Very few people are following the Sikhi enclosed within the Adi Granth. I saw Jugraj Singh as someone who was helping people to reconnect to Sikhi and its spiritual side, its unfortunate he left us so early. Getting back to my point though, is that we need more educated Sikhs, more Sikhs in power, not only in India (which I doubt ever happens, expect for puppets like Manmohan), but around the world that will allow our voices to be heard on the global stage. I see many Punjabi Sikh students immigrating to Canada, but most of them enroll into community colleges that give out degress that hold no merit. I honestly think Sikhs need to aggressively expand out of India, and settle in Western society where they can flourish akin to the Jews, however coming to community colleges won't help. I rarely see these students attend a top Canadian/American uni, very rare if none at all. Even Canadian/American born Hindus are far more educated than their Sikh counterparts, and this is worrisome for our community. We need Sikhs to branch out and attain power, and unfortunately I'm not wise enough to know how this will happen, but I do know this needs to happen. Sikh entrepreneurs, professors, inventors, celebrities, artists, physicians, lawyers, engineers will allow for more global exposure. Also, we need to be flexible. I often see us condemn 3HO Sikhs, or Nanakpanthis, however we shouldn't be doing that. We need to greet them with respect and love in order for their ways to be "corrected", and not just simply write them off. We also need to have more children, and I know many Sikhs are against this, but c'mon people, our numbers are dwindling. And for those that say the world population is already too much, well adopt children and raise them as Sikh. We need to increase our numbers by having more children, marrying out and bringing spouses into the Sikh fold through reason, and raising adopted Sikh children. Numbers go a long way in helping a movement be established. 

I hope I have not offended anyone with my perspective on this.

Great points paji, but one small suggestion please break up your points in short paragraphs other wise its hard to read in a huge block

Also to add to your points I would say Khalistan movement should never be abandoned but rather it shouldnt be our main focus. Our main focus should be able improving and helping each other within the Sikh kaum and help non-sikhs who wish to embrace Sikhi feel welcome.

Too many times I have heard of punjabi mothers not letting their sons marry muslim girls but if you look at muslim households they tell their sons if they found a non-muslim girl to make her convert and she would be welcome in the family. Similarly Sikhs need to have this approach as long as the hindu, muslim or christian girl is ready to learn and convert to Sikhi she will be welcome with open arms. This is what the approach used to be by pure Sikh famililes they would welcome hindu daughter in-laws into the family once she had converted but nowdays we accept hindu and christian son/daughter in laws within requiring them to convert and seeing our population decrease because of this.

The Khalistan movement was not ready for fruition, the Indian establishment forced the Sikhs into an armed conflict that they did not want nor was prepared for indira gandhi's congess party wanted to paint Sikhs as anti-nationals need to create the environment to attack and genocide them and she used all the tricks in the book to do to the Sikhs what hitler did to jews in nazi germany and even worse too.

Sant bhindranwale didnt want Khalistan he wanted fair treatment for Sikhs as equal citizens and a Khalsa raj which is freedom for the khalsa to live life without hindrance of non-Sikh powers in their religious affairs. He did say though he wouldnt reject the offer of Khalistan if the indian govt pushed Sikhs for separation or if harmandir sahib was attacked. Pre-operation blue star It was Babber khalsa, Dal khalsa other groups that wanted Khalistan actively and they did not have the numbers nor the allies nor the logistics to wage an armed campaign against the overwhelming military power of the Indian Union. They could have done devastating suicide military attacks on Indian political centres of power and army barracks if they were serious about wanting to take on Indian state but they mostly fought a self defense war.

We as a Sikh kaum need to recognise we do need our own Sikh nation state because events of 1980s and 90s shows what happens to minorities if they don't have any political or national power. The way we go about for Khalistan needs alot of analysis of past events, recognise how devilish clever our evil enemy was as painting Sikhs as terrorists while they were the ones terrorisng punjab especially using false flag events by using "the third agency" shiv sena, alam sena, virk sena and other hindu terrorist indian groups dressed up as sikhs to cause violence for the army to come in.

When some say Sikhs should all be Khalsa and wear the 5 kakkars that is how we will get khalistan and khalsa raj I would say no dont be so silly it would take hundreds of years for that to happen besides the trend for youngsters these days is not to keep kesh. We need to remember the enemy dressed up as khalsa's they grew long hair they put on dastars they carrys the 5k's and they attacked Sikhs and hindus of punjab to ruin the image and high moral status of Separatist Sikhs and amritdhari Sikhs.

We need variety in our kaum we need to accept the fact that sahejdhari Sikhs are just as valid as Sikhs as baptised Khalsa amrithdari Sikhs are. Only our sahedjhari Sikh monay brothers were able to infiltrate congress terrorist party ranks and kill the murderous leaders who caused sikh genocide of new delhi like arjun das and bhagat lal they also killed general vadiya and they attempted to kill rajiv gandhi a few times. The amritdhari Sikhs would have been spotted a mile away and shot dead if they tried it on.

Only once we have realised and analyised, and processed all that went on and understand all this can we put our kaum on an upward path.