What is the point of paying for Akhand Paath?

JotSinghUK

Sangat Ji,

i have been noticing a disturbing trend of especially here in the west, instead of doing paath themselves will pay for the paath to be done in Darbar Sahib on their behalf? What is this nonsense and what does anyone get out of paying for others to do paath in their absence? Isn't the point of paath to do on ones own for gian? My family for example do it ourselves and we all take turns even the young ones who can read. And we do langar during and do all the seva ourselves. Isn't that the point? I think it's ritualistic for one to pay others to do it while they go party or watch the television etc. Pointless! 

6 hours ago, JotSinghUK said:

Sangat Ji,

i have been noticing a disturbing trend of especially here in the west, instead of doing paath themselves will pay for the paath to be done in Darbar Sahib on their behalf? What is this nonsense and what does anyone get out of paying for others to do paath in their absence? Isn't the point of paath to do on ones own for gian? My family for example do it ourselves and we all take turns even the young ones who can read. And we do langar during and do all the seva ourselves. Isn't that the point? I think it's ritualistic for one to pay others to do it while they go party or watch the television etc. Pointless! 

The point is, not everybody is at the same spiritual level or are unable to for whatever reasons. Could be not being able to read Gurmukhi, could be physical conditions, anything. Or not enough members of the family to participate. There's nothing wrong in paying for it to be recited, as long as the family make an effort to do some seva by attending or listen to it. 

It maybe somebody's sharda to have it at Harmandir Sahib and they are not able to go all that way, so instead they would sponsor the seva of it. 

Even if it's in their home town, their family may not be as tight knit as yours. It maybe nonsense for you, but not everybody goes partying or whatever. You do seva for yourselves and nobody else, but you can't judge another family on what they are doing, without knowing. 

You do have a point, that it shouldn't be the easy way out as it's for our souls to be engaged to Gurbani, so the attendance and listening to it should be done by oneself, if they can't read themselves. But, there can be various reasons for non attendance, not just what you've quoted. 

1 hour ago, simran345 said:

The point is, not everybody is at the same spiritual level or are unable to for whatever reasons. Could be not being able to read Gurmukhi, could be physical conditions, anything. Or not enough members of the family to participate. There's nothing wrong in paying for it to be recited, as long as the family make an effort to do some seva by attending or listen to it. 

It maybe somebody's sharda to have it at Harmandir Sahib and they are not able to go all that way, so instead they would sponsor the seva of it. 

Even if it's in their home town, their family may not be as tight knit as yours. It maybe nonsense for you, but not everybody goes partying or whatever. You do seva for yourselves and nobody else, but you can't judge another family on what they are doing, without knowing. 

You do have a point, that it shouldn't be the easy way out as it's for our souls to be engaged to Gurbani, so the attendance and listening to it should be done by oneself, if they can't read themselves. But, there can be various reasons for non attendance, not just what you've quoted. 

I agree with Simran Bheinji.

Jot Singh, doing Sehaj Path, reading translations & listening to correct pronunciation is best practice.

However one mustn't dissuade Sangat from following tradition of Akhand Path, & paying trained Pathees or Gurdwara office.

Difference is, they are Sevaks performing their duty & earning a living.

For that reason those who host Akhand Path Seva or do Seva of Pathees also get rewarded one way or other.

3 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

I agree with Simran Bheinji.

Jot Singh, doing Sehaj Path, reading translations & listening to correct pronunciation is best practice.

However one mustn't dissuade Sangat from following tradition of Akhand Path, & paying trained Pathees or Gurdwara office.

Difference is, they are Sevaks performing their duty & earning a living.

For that reason those who host Akhand Path Seva or do Seva of Pathees also get rewarded one way or other.

Forgive me if I have said anything wrong, I just think the point is to at least listen to it while it's being recited or as someone above said it's the easy way out. And what do we get just knowing someone else is doing the paath and we aren't even concentrating on the meaning? I think a better way to host paath is to be physically present at least, if not he one doing the actual reciting. Local Gurdwaras can do it and that would facilitate that much easier. But paying someone long distance doesn't makes sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, JotSinghUK said:

Forgive me if I have said anything wrong, I just think the point is to at least listen to it while it's being recited or as someone above said it's the easy way out. And what do we get just knowing someone else is doing the paath and we aren't even concentrating on the meaning? I think a better way to host paath is to be physically present at least, if not he one doing the actual reciting. Local Gurdwaras can do it and that would facilitate that much easier. But paying someone long distance doesn't makes sense to me. 

Don't try to make sense coz it's beyond human comprehension.

Thing is, Waheguru jeeo gives money to some in abundance as per their past karma. Now mostly it is haraam di kamai, so unless they spend part of it on Dharmic kaaj. Their financial cycle will collapse or they will loose wealth.

In order to keep Religious workers immune from bad effects of ill gotten wealth they are paid salary & bonus ie Mehnat da fal not hand outs.

Akalpurakh works in mysterious ways :waheguru:

50 minutes ago, JotSinghUK said:

Local Gurdwaras can do it and that would facilitate that much easier. But paying someone long distance doesn't makes sense to me. 

I understand what you are saying. One should be present to get the laha of it, (benefit from it). I'll just give my own example, I know it's not the same thing as an Akhand Paat, must it maybe why others have them held long distance. For years I used to look at the picture of Harmandir Sahib on our living room wall, and used to yearn to go from the Sakhis and history of it. Although I'd been as a child, I do not remember much. I was unable to go due to physical problems, so I couldn't see myself ever going. Then one year we went but even though we visited Harmandir Sahib, I did not get to go into Darbar Sahib, due to some reasons that were beyond our control. And as we didn't have the time to wait, I would have missed my plane back and be stuck in India for a long time, I needed to get back home. So that upset me, but had to accept it as Waheguru's Hukam. 

Then I had another chance, but this time we went before catching a plane. And it was a wonderful visit. Before visiting, I used to feel a bit empty that I haven't had the chance to. Then afterwards, I felt at peace and my wish was fulfilled. It could be that people have desire to have an Akhand Paat there for whatever reason. Either somebody has told them to or they themselves want to. Harmandir Sahib is special to Sikhs. And not everybody has the chance to go, so they may have an Akhand Paat instead. That's just my guess though. 

Also reciting Gurbani ones self is not as easy for all. The pronunciation has to be right too and it takes time to learn and reach that level of reciting within sangat too. That's why as Singhbj paji has said, the Granthis are only doing their duty. 

I think we are missing the major point of doing Seva which is for fulfillment of wishes.

Most of us do Path but nothing happens ie no desire achieved.

So we use the leverage provided in Gurbani to get Ardas done by Guru ji's Sevak

"Nanak das mukh te jo bole"

"Char padarath je ko mange saadh jana ki seva lage"

So it's more about magic than logic !