BhForce

dowry
Shameful beating of woman for dowry by a Sikh

5 posts in this topic

A video has emerged of a beating of a woman by a Sikh and his Hindu friend allegedly for dowry and giving birth to a girl.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4701172/Indian-woman-brutally-beaten-hockey-sticks-family.html

4264F64200000578-0-image-m-46_1500215742

Video:

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/07/16/7931081988975183920/1024x576_MP4_7931081988975183920.mp4

http://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/viral-video-woman-assaulted-by-in-laws-over-dowry-demand-in-patiala/story-eMCGE7VI3uF3Q53lNl4fPN.html

I was a bit confused to see that the beater was what looked like a Sikh man, which is strange since the woman's name is Meena Kashyap. Kashyaps were one of the original eight gots of Brahmins. So why would a Sikh man be beating this Brahmini? And then I realized this must have been a "love" marriage. Love marriage for the win!!

The HT article says she was beaten by her brother-in-law Kamaljeet Singh and his friend Gaurav in Patiala, Punjab. If you view the video, it's clear that one man has a beard and is wearing a blue round turban. The other man is wearing a black cap. They are beating the woman with sticks or bats. The camera is held by someone standing on a staircase looking down on a garage where the beating happens. Also in the video is a man on the stairs with a red pointy turban and his beard Fixo'd. This might be the woman's husband Daljit Singh.

I would like to acknowledge that there are plenty of false dowry accusations by women who are trying to "get back" at their husbands or in-laws for some reason. But regardless of the base allegations being true or not, the beating subsequent to her filing charges speaks for itself. Also, this video demolished at least two myths regarding undesirable behavior around marriage and dowry: 1) that such things only happen in arranged marriages, and 2) such things only happen in villages. Wake up, people, don't deny social evils. Also, don't think that "love" marriage solves anything.

The Daily Mail article has a surprisingly apt description of dowry and its problems:

These payments used to be made in lieu of traditional inheritance for women, and were given to help her support herself in her new husband's family and to give her something to live on in the event of his death.

But the payments fast became a source of income for the husband's family, who would not only demand money at the wedding itself, but continue extorting the bride's family afterward - especially around the birth of a child.  ...

If a bride's family refuse to pay, or cannot afford the sum demanded, the woman is sometimes abused or even killed as a result.

When a girl gets married, she can't break off a part of her father's house and take it with her, so people generally give something else to her (money, car, etc.) The abuse is the in-laws grabbing that stuff for themselves.

Yes, I realize 8000 dowry deaths happen in India every year, and that's all across India, not just Punjab. But there's no reason that even one dowry death (or beating) needs to occur among Sikhs.

ਹੋਰਿ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਦਾਜੁ ਜਿ ਰਖਿ ਦਿਖਾਲਹਿ ਸੁ ਕੂੜੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ਕਚੁ ਪਾਜੋ ॥

Any other dowry, which the self-willed manmukhs offer for show, is only false egotism and a worthless display.

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ (ਮਃ ੪) ਛੰਤ (੧) ੪:੫ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੭੯ 

Edited by BhForce
added picture

I can bet my <banned word filter activated> on the fact that girl will grow up hating sikhs nd sikhi in general. 

Another laxmikant chawla in the making

This time bcoz our ppl,  esp men are as thick (stupid)  as fkk

Also don't assume that it was love marriage. Hindus nd sikhs still intermarry not uncommonly , esp in punjab

Edited by AjeetSinghPunjabi

Madness! There are no words I can express, but we should expose these people every step of the way. As much as I would expect this behavior from animals, it's sad that it's happening by humans, that as well Sikhs. But why didn't the camera man do anything or the husband do something about this?

3 people like this

I'm guessing this has always gone on, but past societies never had electronic devices which were capable of providing indisputable evidence of these acts, hence the denials and disbelief.

In a somewhat related issue, India is expected to elect a president from a Dalit background in the next few days - a cynical if not entirely unsurprising act of social politicking for the benefit of Hindus and their brand of nationalism - whilst a member of our faith is captured on video footage beating a woman with a hockey stick over a cultural issue that our faith's founders had unequivocally outlawed since the Middle Ages. The irony is too much. 

Edited by MisterrSingh
3 people like this

The stupidest thing is that only the sperm determined the gender of the child. The woman has no influence over this.

This kind of behaviour is despicable. The perpetrators should be suitably punished. 

2 people like this