According to BBC News Gurvinder Gill: The stigma stopping Sikh women getting help with alcohol addiction

superkaur

1 hour ago, simran345 said:

There is a problem, but not enough come out for help or it's hidden. There's some women that turn to drink, when they can't cope with problems they face, instead of getting help with it. 

They should've turned to tea and chocolate digestives like I did. Admittedly, I gained a few pounds, but that's what the treadmill is for, lol. 

The root cause of this problem is the major misconception that men & women are equal in Sikhi... that anything a man can do so can a woman. 

Mahraj afforded respect to women, equality on the basis that they too are creation of parmeshvar but that does not mean we should forget that parmeshvar created men & women for different roles & functions.

This men women equality <banned word filter activated> has screwed over Panjab too, girls drinking & taking drugs.... compare that to Hazur Sahib, where they follow puratan maryada of Guru Gobind Singh.... the women in that area are devis who produce & bring up strong brave sons who love Dasam Pita & sikhi.... not scagged out junkies who produce offspring who are half dead at birth 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

They should've turned to tea and chocolate digestives like I did. Admittedly, I gained a few pounds, but that's what the treadmill is for, lol. 

That's better than turning to alcohol, unless it's not overindulgence, but unfortunately some people don't have that much willpower. This is why it's important to have these organisations like Alcohol and Beyond for our community, as it doesn't just affect men. In India, women also do, but I'm not sure what the figures there are compared to abroad. 

3 hours ago, simran345 said:

That's better than turning to alcohol, unless it's not overindulgence, but unfortunately some people don't have that much willpower. This is why it's important to have these organisations like Alcohol and Beyond for our community, as it doesn't just affect men. In India, women also do, but I'm not sure what the figures there are compared to abroad. 

I reckon the "sessioning" culture in the UK that our lot seem to enjoy as early as secondary school has a large part to play in the younger generations getting into bother with alcohol and substance abuse. It just escalates when they go to university, and this bolshy, provocative demeanour adopted by most Punjabi girls ("If guys can do it, so can we!") in this day and age plays into the type of sangat that encourages females to drink. Obviously, in an ideal world no Sikh should be consuming alcohol, but hey ho.

My mum tells me a few of her acquaintances where she works actively brag about going to the pub for a drink with their husbands and grown-up kids. I'm talking Punjab-born women in their fifties, lol! Their UK raised equivalents are bound to end up with drinking issues if the desi auntyia are knocking back the G&Ts. 

5 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Then we get all of those issues with self esteem that are never ending, especially in terms of apneean running around seeking approval from anything that moves. 

Women are suffering with more alcohol problems because their bodies are not as equipped to handle alcohol as much as men.

It's true. Women can mess themselves up much quicker than blokes when they drink hard. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

I reckon the "sessioning" culture in the UK that our lot seem to enjoy as early as secondary school has a large part to play in the younger generations getting into bother with alcohol and substance abuse. It just escalates when they go to university, and this bolshy, provocative demeanour adopted by most Punjabi girls ("If guys can do it, so can we!") in this day and age plays into the type of sangat that encourages females to drink. Obviously, in an ideal world no Sikh should be consuming alcohol, but hey ho.

My mum tells me a few of her acquaintances where she works actively brag about going to the pub for a drink with their husbands and grown-up kids. I'm talking Punjab-born women in their fifties, lol! Their UK raised equivalents are bound to end up with drinking issues if the desi auntyia are knocking back the G&Ts. 

Yep, at uni it seemed to be the in thing, drinking and smoking, and on some occasions I was also being persuaded to join in. But, luckily because already I had seen loved ones around me suffer from drink, I came to detest it, so I used to stand my ground and reject them. I was labelled as "the boring one" out of the friend circle, but I'm so glad I stood my ground. Which I now see has carried on into their present time. Any sort of stress and they pick up a bottle of wine. 

I'm not surprised about the auntiya and their kids, it seems the norm with some families we know at weddings to sit together and drink as a family.  This I find odd, as I think, just because it's free at the wedding, "othe ik din shutti karlo". Yep told you the Punjab born too. Una ne vi modern ban na ?

6 hours ago, Mahakaal96 said:

The root cause of this problem is the major misconception that men & women are equal in Sikhi... that anything a man can do so can a woman. 

Mahraj afforded respect to women, equality on the basis that they too are creation of parmeshvar but that does not mean we should forget that parmeshvar created men & women for different roles & functions.

This men women equality <banned word filter activated> has screwed over Panjab too, girls drinking & taking drugs.... compare that to Hazur Sahib, where they follow puratan maryada of Guru Gobind Singh.... the women in that area are devis who produce & bring up strong brave sons who love Dasam Pita & sikhi.... not scagged out junkies who produce offspring who are half dead at birth 

bro firstly a sikh cannot do drugs such as alcohol neither male or female , there is equality in duty to Guru ji , end of.

the men from time of Guru Pita ji's joti jot always compared themselves to others because they forgot that their father made both them and their womenfolk equal to self-sovereign kings and princes, leaders amongst men, women. They wanted their women to start behaving like other subjugated women, and live like rajputs and other false kings in immoral pleasures.

Nothing changed in all these years , the guys think they are something special because of the exploits of their ancestors but have zero to their own CV . Eventually they lost sight totally of their responsibilities to the next generation totally and let them be educated not by sikh parents/family but secular values of a corrupt country and its polluted media and entertainment outlets. 

Don't be surprised now if both the girls and boys are just the same as the amoral masses

Yes I remember very well at uni both guys and gals drinking like there was no tomorrow. I remember as a 19 year old at freshers and a Sikh punjaban crowd of girls at the bar completely out of their minds and making their wishes known that they all wanted to lose their virginity that night. 

Sharaab has a lot to answer for.