Question

Guest Gupt

The question OP has asked has a deep answer. But just to summarise from the little understanding of mine: 

One must become a servant first and then serve with nimrata (humbleness), love (prem) and without ego (ahankar). 

Shabad vichaar - to contemplate and reflect on Gurbani. 

To praise the Lord, Waheguru and jap their name, Naam. 

To obey the will (Hukam) of Waheguru.

ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸੇਵ ॥੧॥ 
नामु हमारै गुर की सेव ॥१॥ 
Nām hamārai gur kī sev. ||1|| 
The Name's meditation for me is the service of the Guru. 
SGGS ji Ang 1145

?? Dhan Guru Arjun Dev ji 

But it's much deeper and more to it, and only happens with Waheguru's Hukam and Grace. 

Please somebody else explain it more. 

1. Obeying HUKAM and doing SEVA brings four fold reward compared to normal service.

ਪਉੜੀ ॥

Pauree:

ਸਾ ਸੇਵਾ ਕੀਤੀ ਸਫਲ ਹੈ ਜਿਤੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਮਨੁ ਮੰਨੇ ॥

Fruitful and rewarding is that service, which is pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ਜਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਮਨੁ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਤਾ ਪਾਪ ਕਸੰਮਲ ਭੰਨੇ ॥

When the Mind of the True Guru is pleased, then sins and misdeeds run away.

ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਜਿ ਦਿਤਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸੋ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਸਿਖੀ ਕੰਨੇ ॥

The Sikhs listen to the Teachings imparted by the True Guru.

ਜਿਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਭਾਣਾ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਚੜੀ ਚਵਗਣਿ ਵੰਨੇ ॥

Those who surrender to the True Guru's Will are imbued with the four-fold Love of the Lord.

ਇਹ ਚਾਲ ਨਿਰਾਲੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਗੁਰ ਦੀਖਿਆ ਸੁਣਿ ਮਨੁ ਭਿੰਨੇ ॥੨੫॥

This is the unique and distinct life-style of the Gurmukhs: listening to the Guru's Teachings, their minds blossom forth. ||25||

http://beta.igurbani.com/shabad/1197?verseId=14341

2. Both are excellent, fruitful & corresponding.

ਕਬੀਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਉ ਦੁਇ ਭਲੇ ਏਕੁ ਸੰਤੁ ਇਕੁ ਰਾਮੁ ॥

Kabeer, it is good to perform selfless service for two - the Saints and the Lord.

ਰਾਮੁ ਜੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੋ ਸੰਤੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ਨਾਮੁ ॥੧੬੪॥

The Lord is the Giver of liberation, and the Saint inspires us to chant the Naam. ||164||

http://beta.igurbani.com/shabad/5133?verseId=58582

3. Gursikhs are considered high quality SANTS.

ਪਉੜੀ ॥

Pauree:

ਜਿਨੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਪਾਇਅੜੇ ਸਰਬ ਸੁਖਾ ॥

Those who meditate on the Lord, Har, Har, obtain all peace and comforts.

ਸਭੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਤਿਨਾ ਕਾ ਸਫਲੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਮਨਿ ਲਾਗੀ ਭੁਖਾ ॥

Fruitful is the entire life of those, who hunger for the Name of the Lord in their minds.

ਜਿਨੀ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਬਚਨਿ ਆਰਾਧਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਵਿਸਰਿ ਗਏ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖਾ ॥

Those who worship the Lord in adoration, through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, forget all their pains and suffering.

ਤੇ ਸੰਤ ਭਲੇ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਹੈ ਜਿਨ ਨਾਹੀ ਚਿੰਤ ਪਰਾਈ ਚੁਖਾ ॥

Those Gursikhs are good Saints, who care for nothing other than the Lord.

ਧਨੁ ਧੰਨੁ ਤਿਨਾ ਕਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਫਲ ਹਰਿ ਲਾਗੇ ਮੁਖਾ ॥੬॥

Blessed, blessed is their Guru, whose mouth tastes the Ambrosial Fruit of the Lord's Name. ||6||

http://beta.igurbani.com/shabad/2221?verseId=25789

Thank you guys for the interesting responses, but I'm curious now in what steps I should take, should I start a sehaj paath? And how does one let gurbani influence there naturalness (aka everyday life)? The goal I want for the short term is everything in my life be applicable to gurbani, and follow gurbani to the best of my ability; what's the best way to get this?

5 hours ago, Guest Gupt said:

Thank you guys for the interesting responses, but I'm curious now in what steps I should take, should I start a sehaj paath? And how does one let gurbani influence there naturalness (aka everyday life)? The goal I want for the short term is everything in my life be applicable to gurbani, and follow gurbani to the best of my ability; what's the best way to get this?

If you want to start on the sikh pathway, i would recommend listening to pyare jio by bhai veer singh or gurmukh sikhia by bhai vir singh on youtube. 

I cant explain as well as he but he Basically explains that  imagine u were a rock, could u imagine being a plant? Having sensation, feeling wind and the sun. If you were a plant, could u imagine being an animal? Having movement, exploring the world, seeing, hearing, feeling?  Then imagine being more alive, having more senses, being able to think, create, manipulate, make sense of things As A Human. Now imagine is there something farther than human? Yes there is. Our innate desire to experience bliss, ecstacy, connected with all,which can happen as being prt of God.

So to do this, do simran. Meditate. How? Say waheguru. Think, does he exist, say with conviction Waheguru Hai (he exists). Think wat sort of being is he. Say Waheguru Sukhdata Hai (he is the giver of peace, happiness, he is joy) Think then where is he? Say waheguru saare paase. He is all around, everywhere, within me. Say this with the biggest smile,and imagine peace pervading u, joy in ur heart, happiness all around. If u can actually feel this joy and peace. Then u felt god, u called god to u, and ur meditation was successful. If not keep trying. Listen to bhai vir singh. If u get this peace, ur job is to stay that happy n relaxed the whole day. No matter wat happens. How to do that. Try to remember waheguru, who is peace and joy at all times. Keep track, how many times a day, u re remember. Once u remember waheguru, think of it as a blessing. As waheguru thinking of you! The creator of galaxies, planets, 1.6 billion ppl, thinking of u. Be filled with gratitude and say waheguru tera shukar hai (im grateful, thank you) of helping me remember u. Of blessing me with ur name. Of filling me with peace. Then say waheguru in thanks, then say waheguru to thank for being able to say waheguru in thanks. Then say waheguru again cuz he blessed u to say his name. Only those who he blesses, who HE thinks about, remember him. So say waheguru continuously in thanks. Each time u say it, u should be filled with peace and happiness. 

Thats how u bring sikhi into every second of ur life. Its hard in the beginning, as u will forget abt waheguru, but keep trying. Also this is all mental. So u should bedoing this in a train, at work during break. Just smiling and thinking waheguru as peace pervades. Being filled with gratitude as thinking waheguru. So practice this mental simran. Of saying waheguru only with ur mind.

Also i would add 1 hour of simran outloud, in the morning. Or 30 min in the morning, 30 min at bedtime

1 hour of sehaj paath, if u donthave pothis, sainchis, just go to srigranth.org or google sri granth. If not 1 hour, at least 15 min.

If u have more time, i would recommend listening to 1 hour of katha, discourse. Start with bhai vir singh, then bhai sahib singh canada wale, then basicsof sikhi, then bhai sukha singh, then sant singh ji maskeen. Theres loads of kathavachiks, try them all. See which ones elevate ur thinking, bring u peace and consolation. If no time, do this on weekends.

Also try to learn keertan, if not possible. Just sing kirtan, without any harmonium. It should be with emotion, so choose shabads that describe ur mental state. Ur position and ur problems. If u cant think of anything, check out rainsbai videos on youtube, also sarab rog ka aukhad naam. Note shabds that u can relate to, and sing those from the heart

19 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

If you want to start on the sikh pathway, i would recommend listening to pyare jio by bhai veer singh or gurmukh sikhia by bhai vir singh on youtube. 

As paji has mentioned, this is another video I was going to put on. Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh's videos are real  jewels. 

7 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Thank you for posting that link. I was too lazy to ?

Its nice to have u  back. 

Thanks Paji @Not2Cool2Argue, it's been less stressful being away.  This was supposed to be just a flying visit, but somehow ended up doing a few posts, oops.  Kind of missed the forum ?, but time management is important too. Hope you're well.  

Theres another one of Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh's videos I want to put on, but the YouTube link doesn't allow it to be embedded. "Naam isn't merely repeating a Name but awakening the light inside you", interesting audio.