Jump to content
singhbj singh

Why is Sikhsangat.com a success ?

Recommended Posts

Strikes a good balance between being informative and being entertaining. I put it down to the diversity of members, which isn't really the case with the other forums. 

And the comparative lack of censorship. Ten minutes on the Sikhnet message boards are enough to make me feel like I've been living in North Korea my entire life. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Balkaar said:

Ten minutes on the Sikhnet message boards are enough to make me feel like I've been living in North Korea my entire life. 

 

Sikhnet once introduced realtime updates just like SS but due to indecent behaviour of few members they reverted back to mod approval system.

Sikhnet team is out of sync when it comes to Interactivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Destruction said:

For me sikhawareness is a great forum, the amount of knowledge on those topics, real discussion and not a debate with limitations of what you can say.

I think that forum was well ahead of its time. As good as this forum has got (compared to the past), you'd still not get all the textual analysis you got on SA - and the amount of people it inspired to look at texts and share findings and translate stuff says it all. Let's be real, that was down to N30. 

 

Edited by dallysingh101
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Sikhnet once introduced realtime updates just like SS but due to indecent behaviour of few members they reverted back to mod approval system.

Sikhnet team is out of sync when it comes to Interactivity.

That forum will never be a place for meaningful discussions (as far as Sikh issues are concerned, meaningful usually coincides with 'controversial', hence the censorship) if they're not willing to extend almost total openness to their forum users. Ofc this'll mean some 'indecent behaviour' every now and then, but if someone wants to dig for gold they're always going to have to dig through mitee too. 

 

Edited by Balkaar
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Balkaar said:

That forum will never be a place for meaningful discussions (as far as Sikh issues are concerned, meaningful usually coincides with 'controversial', hence the censorship) if they're not willing to extend almost total openness to their forum users. Ofc this'll mean some 'indecent behaviour' every now and then, but if someone wants to dig for gold they're always going to have to dig through mitee too. 

Couple of years back management tried to sideline the forum by introducing 

http://answers.sikhnet.com/questions/

Coz moderators weren't one of them.

Maybe there was a power tussle who knows.

Now it's similar state as being archived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Destruction said:

For me sikhawareness is a great forum, the amount of knowledge on those topics, real discussion and not a debate with limitations of what you can say.

I swear everyone who says this while bashing other sites comes off as a pretentious hipster who only dines at the most organic and most raw vegan lettuce restaurants. 

Both are good 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Singh559 said:

I swear everyone who says this while bashing other sites comes off as a pretentious hipster who only dines at the most organic and most raw vegan lettuce restaurants. 

Both are good 

lol@^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Singh559 said:

I swear everyone who says this while bashing other sites comes off as a pretentious hipster who only dines at the most organic and most raw vegan lettuce restaurants. 

Both are good 

Yeah, but it's got to be said, the literary action was heavier on that site. 

Edited by dallysingh101
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

Sikhnet once introduced realtime updates just like SS but due to indecent behaviour of few members they reverted back to mod approval system.

Sikhnet team is out of sync when it comes to Interactivity.

sikhnet have a nasty habit of editing/ignoring posts which point out flaws in their core ideology which is anti-gurmat or creates dubida in sangat's minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

Also I haven't seen much success from any of these forums in promoting issues effecting British sikhs such as turban hatred from other sikhs and relatives, keeping proper rehit like training with shastar and martial arts,

What are you talking about? There have been many topics about turban-hatred and about shasters.

12 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

I am sure this forum at least is not designed for discussing halal meat being served in schools and workplaces etc

Why would you say that? There have been many posts on this site warning about the growing radical Islamic threat, and every Sikh is agreed that we cannot eat halal meat. Why do you think this forum would not respond well to such a post? Go ahead and open up such a post, and I, for one, will participate in it.

12 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

The fact that there is no forum which caters for the whole sangat is a big problem.

Erm, this is such a forum. There are no IP-address restrictions on accessing Sikhsangat.com. Everyone in the whole sangat (in the world) can, and does, participate in it.

Strangely, you say here that you want a forum catering to the whole sangat, yet a paragraph or so above, you say you want one catering to the British sangat. Which is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

regardless whether u like Sikhawareness of even SPN, there are some real gems there in terms of articles and research into various things. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

sikhnet have a nasty habit of editing/ignoring posts which point out flaws in their core ideology which is anti-gurmat or creates dubida in sangat's minds.

Could be but I had a good run at their forum 12 years.

Guess they tolerated me & I them :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Yeah, but it's got to be said, the literary action was heavier on that site. 

Yeah definitely has a lot of gems there and I lurked there often as well. PJS on here was great as well, but he stopped posting here. =[

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hands down. The worst site I ever encountered for editing people's posts was sikhchic. They would edit your posts to mean exactly the opposite of what you were trying to express. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×