singhbj singh

Why is Sikhsangat.com a success ?

32 posts in this topic

SikhSangat has stood the test of time where as others have failed, packed up, struggling & poaching.

Tapoban  - closed

Akj - dysfunctional 

Sikhphilosophy - struggling 

Sikhawareness - poaching & political compulsion 

Sikhnet discussion - afraid of change & retirement 

Gurmatbibek - family club, loosing patrons, narrow minded, admin & mods too proud to seek help n change 

What are the reasons behind forum's accomplishment

This site isn't exactly most successful if you were to ask by mere post count, (I would say the Reditt Sikh sunreditt is more popular by a large margin in pure post counts), nor is this site the most popular in highest quality of posts which I'd have to give to Sikhawarness or maybe Tapoban. The thing that might distinguish this site the lack of moderation at most of the times. Even when the mods are here, they barely control much, which is a good thing for allowing people to express their own views individually. Also unlike most forums, most people here aren't exactly the type to have the same opinion, and dissent will cause more people to join-in, (most topics are mostly people debating stuff, which is not even related to Bhagti, Naam, or Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji).

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

This site isn't exactly most successful if you were to ask by mere post count, (I would say the Reditt Sikh sunreditt is more popular by a large margin in pure post counts), nor is this site the most popular in highest quality of posts which I'd have to give to Sikhawarness or maybe Tapoban. The thing that might distinguish this site the lack of moderation at most of the times. Even when the mods are here, they barely control much, which is a good thing for allowing people to express their own views individually. Also unlike most forums, most people here aren't exactly the type to have the same opinion, and dissent will cause more people to join-in, (most topics are mostly people debating stuff, which is not even related to Bhagti, Naam, or Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji).

Sikhsangat is community service site funded by few individuals.

Reddit is a business run by professionals.

Just hire a PR agency & promote your content. See how you tubers make money, those who don't are usually funded by Religious organisations or political parties.

Nanak Naam & BOS both have backing.

Sikh awareness is the least popular & least influential of the lot.

Tapoban was one of the pioneers, they had very good content & wise members.

But being kattar led to their downfall.

They have differences with their ideological family members ie Akj's & Bibekis so how can they unite no-jatha amritdharis, non-amritdharis, sehajdharis, non-Sikhs ?

"Every living thing must grow. It can't stand still. It must grow or perish"

I agree with the rest regarding moderation, member's, topics. If you want to discuss Gurmat, find and start relevant topics. Don't wait for others.

Edited by singhbj singh
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

SikhSangat has stood the test of time where as others have failed, packed up, struggling & poaching.

Tapoban  - closed

Akj - dysfunctional 

Sikhphilosophy - struggling 

Sikhawareness - poaching & political compulsion 

Sikhnet discussion - afraid of change & retirement 

Gurmatbibek - family club, loosing patrons, narrow minded, admin & mods too proud to seek help n change 

What are the reasons behind forum's accomplishment

Sikhsangat.com is a success, because it consists of members that are intelligent,  enlightened, scholars and academics, brahmgiyyanies, kirtanees, young, old, middle aged and toddlers, muscians, mathematicians, tourists and PRs and many more nice and gentle people from all over the world such as India, Somalia, Egypt, Phillipynes, Malaysia, Canada, America, Italy and Luxemburgh.  They all post nice, people friendly posts packed with high calibre knowledge and information.

Edited by silverSingh
4 people like this

3 hours ago, silverSingh said:

Sikhsangat.com is a success, because it consists of members that are intelligent,  enlightened, scholars and academics, brahmgiyyanies, kirtanees, young, old, middle aged and toddlers, muscians, mathematicians, tourists and PRs and many more nice and gentle people from all over the world such as India, Somalia, Egypt, Phillipynes, Malaysia, Canada, America, Italy and Luxemburgh.  They all post nice, people friendly posts packed with high calibre knowledge and information.

Credit should also be given to behind the screen Akali, RSS, Congress, RAW, ISI, Mi6 supporters as well as employees :-)

Oh forgot to thank Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Yogi imposters for spicing things up :p

Edited by singhbj singh
2 people like this

1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

My opinion on this forum are as follows. Many of the posters are quite intellegent and knowledgable. 

However I have also noticed a sizeable number of posters with deep pyschological issues who use this forum to vent their anger and causes unecessary arguements in topics. Its like they have been bullied all their life so they let all their frustrations out on people who make innocent topics. These low lifes need to get a grip.

These people know who they are and really need to take long hard look in the mirrow and do some serious soul searching. 

If you've gone this far, go further: name names! lol

hey you forgot about sikh Philosophy which seems to be used more by american sikhs.

I would not say sikhsangat is a success, and some topics are still not allowed which are part of maryada of Gursikh.

Also I haven't seen much success from any of these forums in promoting issues effecting British sikhs such as turban hatred from other sikhs and relatives, keeping proper rehit like training with shastar and martial arts, and I am sure this forum at least is not designed for discussing halal meat being served in schools and workplaces etc. The fact that there is no forum which caters for the whole sangat is a big problem. Reddit is ok, but facebooker and instagrammer pendoos aren't going to touch Reddit when they are busy posting shraabi and nangi photos are they?

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

hey you forgot about sikh Philosophy which seems to be used more by american sikhs.

I would not say sikhsangat is a success, and some topics are still not allowed which are part of maryada of Gursikh.

Also I haven't seen much success from any of these forums in promoting issues effecting British sikhs such as turban hatred from other sikhs and relatives, keeping proper rehit like training with shastar and martial arts, and I am sure this forum at least is not designed for discussing halal meat being served in schools and workplaces etc. The fact that there is no forum which caters for the whole sangat is a big problem. Reddit is ok, but facebooker and instagrammer pendoos aren't going to touch Reddit when they are busy posting shraabi and nangi photos are they?

I mentioned in the beginning that Sikh philosophy is "Struggling".

In the past they had an American white lady & probably an Indian origin American as their Admin.

Now it seems more of a missionary site rather than an open forum.

Sikhsangat is not keen on numbers as they have stopped twitter & Facebook a/c updates.

Reddit is okay for viewing not participating.

Edited by singhbj singh

4 hours ago, silverSingh said:

now I agree with everything else but where can I find these Brahmgyanis on this forum. 

2 people like this

This forum doesn't have a hidden agenda like the other forums! And is designed for Sikh sangat as a whole.

49 minutes ago, Dsinghdp said:

This forum doesn't have a hidden agenda like the other forums! And is designed for Sikh sangat as a whole.

This forum has changed a lot over the last few years (for the better). Whatever people might think now, it used to be infinitely more narrow minded and prone to hardcore censoring of alternate views. This has changed and I can only put it down to more visionary admin. The opposite seems to have happened with SA, which used to be the most uncensored forum and full of people who'd actually made efforts to read historical texts, but after admin changes changed to a more censor based approach. 

Let's be frank, forums have their markets, SPN is geared towards pacifist, kum baa yaa malord, PC type Sikhs, Sikhnet is geared towards white Sikhs (although some of their stuff is good for others to read), Sikhchic caters to US SIkhs who have a very leftist pacifist PC worldview, other forums have catered to specific groups like AKJ. SS users seem to be majority Panjabi Sikhs (even if diasporic), which form the biggest numbers. SS has survived because it adapted. 

Edited by dallysingh101
3 people like this

Strikes a good balance between being informative and being entertaining. I put it down to the diversity of members, which isn't really the case with the other forums. 

And the comparative lack of censorship. Ten minutes on the Sikhnet message boards are enough to make me feel like I've been living in North Korea my entire life. 

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Balkaar said:

Ten minutes on the Sikhnet message boards are enough to make me feel like I've been living in North Korea my entire life. 

Sikhnet once introduced realtime updates just like SS but due to indecent behaviour of few members they reverted back to mod approval system.

Sikhnet team is out of sync when it comes to Interactivity.

2 hours ago, Destruction said:

For me sikhawareness is a great forum, the amount of knowledge on those topics, real discussion and not a debate with limitations of what you can say.

I think that forum was well ahead of its time. As good as this forum has got (compared to the past), you'd still not get all the textual analysis you got on SA - and the amount of people it inspired to look at texts and share findings and translate stuff says it all. Let's be real, that was down to N30. 

Edited by dallysingh101
1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Sikhnet once introduced realtime updates just like SS but due to indecent behaviour of few members they reverted back to mod approval system.

That forum will never be a place for meaningful discussions (as far as Sikh issues are concerned, meaningful usually coincides with 'controversial', hence the censorship) if they're not willing to extend almost total openness to their forum users. Ofc this'll mean some 'indecent behaviour' every now and then, but if someone wants to dig for gold they're always going to have to dig through mitee too. 

Edited by Balkaar
2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Balkaar said:

That forum will never be a place for meaningful discussions (as far as Sikh issues are concerned, meaningful usually coincides with 'controversial', hence the censorship) if they're not willing to extend almost total openness to their forum users. Ofc this'll mean some 'indecent behaviour' every now and then, but if someone wants to dig for gold they're always going to have to dig through mitee too. 

Couple of years back management tried to sideline the forum by introducing 

http://answers.sikhnet.com/questions/

Coz moderators weren't one of them.

Maybe there was a power tussle who knows.

Now it's similar state as being archived.

4 hours ago, Destruction said:

For me sikhawareness is a great forum, the amount of knowledge on those topics, real discussion and not a debate with limitations of what you can say.

I swear everyone who says this while bashing other sites comes off as a pretentious hipster who only dines at the most organic and most raw vegan lettuce restaurants. 

Both are good 

2 people like this

27 minutes ago, Singh559 said:

I swear everyone who says this while bashing other sites comes off as a pretentious hipster who only dines at the most organic and most raw vegan lettuce restaurants. 

Both are good 

lol@^^^^

41 minutes ago, Singh559 said:

Both are good 

Yeah, but it's got to be said, the literary action was heavier on that site. 

Edited by dallysingh101
2 people like this

6 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

sikhnet have a nasty habit of editing/ignoring posts which point out flaws in their core ideology which is anti-gurmat or creates dubida in sangat's minds.

12 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

Also I haven't seen much success from any of these forums in promoting issues effecting British sikhs such as turban hatred from other sikhs and relatives, keeping proper rehit like training with shastar and martial arts,

What are you talking about? There have been many topics about turban-hatred and about shasters.

I am sure this forum at least is not designed for discussing halal meat being served in schools and workplaces etc

Why would you say that? There have been many posts on this site warning about the growing radical Islamic threat, and every Sikh is agreed that we cannot eat halal meat. Why do you think this forum would not respond well to such a post? Go ahead and open up such a post, and I, for one, will participate in it.

The fact that there is no forum which caters for the whole sangat is a big problem.

Erm, this is such a forum. There are no IP-address restrictions on accessing Sikhsangat.com. Everyone in the whole sangat (in the world) can, and does, participate in it.

Strangely, you say here that you want a forum catering to the whole sangat, yet a paragraph or so above, you say you want one catering to the British sangat. Which is it?