Sukhvirk1976

Has the Sikh community become myopic

dallysingh101    1,582
46 minutes ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

Has the Sikh community lost its sense of sarbat da bhalla by becoming to focused on 'panthic' issues? 

Hard to do sarbat da bhalla when your own community is riddled with crazy issues like alcoholism, casteism, grooming and whatnot. Maybe people should try practicing the concept of doing bhalla of the panth, and when they learn to get that right - role out what they've learnt and practiced outwards towards sarbat. 

Otherwise it's like trying to teach someone to run when you're hobbling around on a walking stick yourself because your own leg is damaged and needs fixing. Don't make sense. 

• Like 3

harsharan000    1,890
1 hour ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

Has the Sikh community lost its sense of sarbat da bhalla by becoming to focused on 'panthic' issues? 

Brother, I do not think, sikh community has lost its sense of sarbat da bhalla. You see not alll are at the same spiritual level.

Some are more attracted to the base of Sikhee, the Bani, while others are still spiritually growing, so they are busy with other aspects of the community, but for sure, all are trying to give their best according to their own virtues and capacity.

All khalsas / sikhs, are dear to Wahiguru, for this their attitude of being noble and pure.

Sat Sree Akal.

Edited by harsharan000
  • Like 4

Sukhvirk1976    189
1 hour ago, muscleman said:

Omg.  I have been waiting for this type of question for a long time. Finally, out of all the other questions  that you could have posed you chose to pose this one.  I congratulate you on your achievement. I will be more than happy to reply to your question but I have a minor problem. I understand the first part of the question but not the second part. Can you please be more specific as to what kind of an answer are you looking for?

I'm not looking for any type 'of an answer' Bro.. I suppose I have always been attracted to the selfless nature of sikhi where it sees the welfare of others as leading to the welfare of 'sikhi'.. 

By looking inwards I feel that we compromise the ideals of sikhi, my own feelings are based around the institutionalisation of sikhi and what I perceive as a trend to view ourselves as victims 

Sukhvirk1976    189
31 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Hard to do sarbat da bhalla when your own community is riddled with crazy issues like alcoholism, casteism, grooming and whatnot. Maybe people should try practicing the concept of doing bhalla of the panth, and when they learn to get that right - role out what they've learnt and practiced outwards towards sarbat. 

Otherwise it's like trying to teach someone to run when you're hobbling around on a walking stick yourself because your own leg is damaged and needs fixing. Don't make sense. 

I disagree.. 

Ahankar can lead us to create false enemies.. Selflessness and the concept of sikhi to me goes beyond looking inwards.. 

Guru tegh bahadur Ji's sacrifice is a great example, he sacrificed himself for other's despite their existing a very loose confederation of what the panth was.. 

I think their are very few Sikhs today who see the beauty of khalsa.. True khalsa does not discriminate against any other whether from within the panth or outside.. Khalsa accepts all as one 

• Like 2

dallysingh101    1,582
7 minutes ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

I disagree.. 

Ahankar can lead us to create false enemies.. Selflessness and the concept of sikhi to me goes beyond looking inwards.. 

Guru tegh bahadur Ji's sacrifice is a great example, he sacrificed himself for other's despite their existing a very loose confederation of what the panth was.. 

I think their are very few Sikhs today who see the beauty of khalsa.. True khalsa does not discriminate against any other whether from within the panth or outside.. Khalsa accepts all as one 

Don't forget that the Khalsa itself is not immune from external and internal enemies, and needs to protect itself. You can see Guru ji actually do this when they made it mandatory for Khalsas to socially boycott various subversive groups like Ram Raiya and Dhirmalis etc. to the point that people were essentially 'excommunicated' (for want of a better word) for simply fraternising with them.  This is dasmesh pita's own edict. 

So no, the Khalsa from its very inception did not accept one and all like you are suggesting. That is fact. I'm not suggesting people become totally introverted in this respect, but our people acting like clueless lulloos who don't realise that there are communities/people who are antithetical to them (and take measures accordingly) is stupidity of the highest order.

• Like 2

Sukhvirk1976    189
5 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Don't forget that the Khalsa itself is not immune from external and internal enemies, and needs to protect itself. You can see Guru ji actually do this when they made it mandatory for Khalsas to socially boycott various subversive groups like Ram Raiya and Dhirmalis etc. to the point that people were essentially 'excommunicated' (for want of a better word) for simply fraternising with them.  This is dasmesh pita's own edict. 

So no, the Khalsa from its very inception did not accept one and all like you are suggesting. That is fact. I'm not suggesting people become totally introverted in this respect, but our people acting like clueless lulloos who don't realise that there are communities/people who are antithetical to them (and take measures accordingly) is stupidity of the highest order.

Yes I agree however dashmesh pitta also according to many sources went to dehradun and forgave ram rai dispensing justice against his persecutors.. Also it wasn't dashmesh pitta who excommunicated ram rai

Sukhvirk1976    189
11 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

The khalsa is not just a product of khande Pahul. That would make it no better than any other ceremony, praying five times a day, poja.. 

Khalsa is kalas.. Bhai khaniya is the best illustration of this 

Sukhvirk1976    189
4 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Sarbat da bhalla - depends on the context. If you are describing welfare for all. Maybe I have got this wrong but what the heck:

Khalsa Aid, SOPW, Sikh Awareness Society, Basics of Sikhi, for starters.

Then there is Pink Ladoo campaign, then there is the campaign to have free education for girls in Punjab that has been passed through.

Harjap Bhangra normally interviews a whole host of people that do a lot of good. There was one lady (Aulukh I think) that raises awareness for autism.

Mr Singh's in Birmingham arranged a charity hike in Snowdownia. 

There is a lot of things our people do, you just choose not to see. Question is the OP myopic?

Well I think you have made a very interesting and important point.. 

For me I would agree that those Sikhs who like khalsa aid are engaged on the ground do sarbat da bhalla.. They live it

But what of those champions of sikhi who don't do that.. 

Khalsa aid without discrimination goes to those who are in need, 

However many people on this forum promote the idea that the panth should spend more time not engaging with those actions. 

I see khalsa aid going out to Iraq providing aid to the yazidis but where are the khalsa singhs on the front line.? 

• Like 1

Sukhvirk1976    189
5 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Sarbat da bhalla - depends on the context. If you are describing welfare for all. Maybe I have got this wrong but what the heck:

Khalsa Aid, SOPW, Sikh Awareness Society, Basics of Sikhi, for starters.

Then there is Pink Ladoo campaign, then there is the campaign to have free education for girls in Punjab that has been passed through.

Harjap Bhangra normally interviews a whole host of people that do a lot of good. There was one lady (Aulukh I think) that raises awareness for autism.

Mr Singh's in Birmingham arranged a charity hike in Snowdownia. 

There is a lot of things our people do, you just choose not to see. Question is the OP myopic?

I'm sorry but your tone says a lot.. I guess what you are saying is that you think the actions of some Sikhs from organisations such as khalsa aid means that the panth is not myopic.. 

• Like 1

Ranjeet01    1,089
2 hours ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

I'm sorry but your tone says a lot.. I guess what you are saying is that you think the actions of some Sikhs from organisations such as khalsa aid means that the panth is not myopic.. 

Yes that is correct.

There is so much the Panth does but on this site we constantly focus on the negative.

The Panth does so much good but we are not ones to brag about it. 

Just look at the examples after the Manchester bombings and the London terror attacks? How many gurdwarae opened their doors to people? 

After the Grenfell tower,who provided supplies for those people? 

Have you ever heard of SWAT? They help the homeless.

My colleague's mother was a nurse and she used go into gurdwarae and tell people about diabetes when it became more prevalent. 

You need to open your eyes.

Sukhvirk1976    189
4 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Yes that is correct.

There is so much the Panth does but on this site we constantly focus on the negative.

The Panth does so much good but we are not ones to brag about it. 

Just look at the examples after the Manchester bombings and the London terror attacks? How many gurdwarae opened their doors to people? 

After the Grenfell tower,who provided supplies for those people? 

Have you ever heard of SWAT? They help the homeless.

My colleague's mother was a nurse and she used go into gurdwarae and tell people about diabetes when it became more prevalent. 

You need to open your eyes.

Can I ask you whether you think we do enough? 

Ranjeet01    1,089
47 minutes ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

Can I ask you whether you think we do enough? 

I think we do quite a lot.

The question is whether Sarbat Da Bhalla should be a virtue-signalling excercise.