dallysingh101

Romani girl goes to Panjab to find roots

16 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

There is a difference between the Roma gypsy and Irish traveller. They are not the same.

1 minute ago, Ranjeet01 said:

There is a difference between the Roma gypsy and Irish traveller. They are not the same.

I know we had irish travellers in our school for a summer , they moved on ...but the Roma I have seen look punjabi/rajasthani and have similar mannerisms , wear long ghaggras there are some in Ilford 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

I know we had irish travellers in our school for a summer , they moved on ...but the Roma I have seen look punjabi/rajasthani and have similar mannerisms , wear long ghaggras there are some in Ilford 

I am not a big fan of the Roma people  (the ones recently arrived from Romania).

I look at them and think there is something familiar about them but not quite like someone from the subcontinent. 

These guys are experts in pickpocketry and begging.

Like Dally''s original post with that girl from Kosovo going to India. I wondered if she was approached by beggars and thinks " that's where we got it from and they're so much better at it than we are!'

• Like 1

I've always felt an affinity for Romani gypsies. It all makes sense now. I've finally found my people. *wipes tears from eyes*

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DailyMail said:

Roma gypsies are descended from jats. Already well established links. 

Probably the other way round. 

1 hour ago, DailyMail said:

Roma gypsies are descended from jats. Already well established links. 

Not too sure about that.

Physically they don't look the same.

Roma Gypsies are quite short generally. They remind me more like a Mirasi type.

I remember chatting to some Roma guys some years ago. He told me that his people  originally came from India and he pointed to his nose and said a word similar to nak, and his eyes and said ankh etc. They are definitely from Northern India whether from Punjab or Rajasthan.

Their begging and petty crime is due their having been excluded from the majority societies in the countries they migrated to so they had to do these things to survive. 

6 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Not too sure about that.

Physically they don't look the same.

Roma Gypsies are quite short generally. They remind me more like a Mirasi type.

How did Punjabis gain the traits of being tall and athletic (gabroo, jwaan, etc)? I can't imagine it was a quirk of nature considering the difference between us and other Indian ethnicities such as Gujaratis, Tamils, etc.

• Like 1

It has a lot to do with diet. Punjabis eat wheat and those of smaller stature tend to eat rice as a staple. That's why Bengalis, Thais and Burmese tend to be shorter. Also genetics may also come into play especially as the ancestors of the Punjabis are thought to have come the steppes of Central Asia. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

How did Punjabis gain the traits of being tall and athletic (gabroo, jwaan, etc)? I can't imagine it was a quirk of nature considering the difference between us and other Indian ethnicities such as Gujaratis, Tamils, etc.

dairy, saag , and wheat

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

9 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I've worked with Romanians. Some of them don't half look like Panjabi pendus. 

Theres ethnic romanians. Who are usually dark haired but caucasian. Then theres gypsys who settled in romania. The gypsys usually referred to as roma. So most gypsys are from romania, but all romanians arent gypsys. @Starstriker usually comments on this passionately