Big_Tera

How important is the turban?

27 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2017 at 11:40 AM, MisterrSingh said:

When I was growing up, moneh were magnanimous enough to put up their hands and say, "Y'know, I just can't deal with growing kesh and the daily responsibility of tying a dastaar. It's my fault, nobody else. The problem lies within me." At least they were honest back then.

Nowadays, as with most things, the desire to subvert perfectly valid norms and practices in the pursuit of discovering the so-called truth that's been kept from society thanks to some vague overarching conspiracy of suppression and deception, means shifting responsibility and blame for the individual's defects onto those very norms and values that were given to us solely for our benefit. Now, these people wish to chip away at the integrity of scripture to find a loophole or flimsily worded justification that will enable, or, best of all, approve of their personal life choices. 

I've long suspected future generations of Sikhs will graduate to openly disparaging certain Sikh teachings because they struggle to adhere to those values. The Dasam Granth issue was a precursor of what's yet to come. The final issue that will tear apart Sikhs will be the 5Ks / Baisakhi issue, i.e. huge numbers of followers will openly turn their back on the requirement of kesh and the need to take amrit. That's going to be the final nail in the coffin. It will be relegated to a small devout minority of fundamentalists who'll eventually be sidelined as an extreme or orthodox sect. Mainstream Sikhi will be redrawn as a soft, pacifist, Jain-esque faith requiring the minimum of dedication and adherence. That's the plan, believe me.

Questioning narratives and beliefs is incredibly important. Sikhs wouldn't exist if one particular individual who emerged in 1469 hadn't questioned the fundamentals of their existence and society in general. Yet, that spirit of discovery is being used to denigrate and undermine the very fabric of our beliefs. It's happening all over the world with all manner of philosophies and systems. "This is too difficult, therefore it must be wrong, because I can't possibly be expected to chisel away at improving myself thereby arriving at a place where I meet these conditions." It's this same attitude that has gradually destroyed the integrity of those things that are conducive to a successful and healthy society.

Saying that, the other side of the argument also holds water. It's controversial and not many will want to hear it: it's too easy to appear as a devout Sikh. There's no threshold of quality, or measurement of discerning the content of character behind the external appearance. Literally anyone, even the vilest of humans, can dress up as a Sikh. 

The fact that you called Jainism a "soft" laid back religion... You lost all the _____ i had to offer in respect of your response, which though started awesomely, lost me, because Jainism is anything but soft as it is a strict religion with hardcore ideology that has been steadfast for centuries.

Now... Being a Sikh, definitely in the outwards sense, requires agreement with the panths rules as transcribed by bhai mani singh but lets not forget that that rehat marayada is a political act established under punjab sikh guradwara act in early 1900s and was drafted multiple times over multiple years to appeasement of various individuals (babas) and organizations and certain convinces of the rulers of the time. All i can say is believe in SGGS and focus on your ownself and rest leave to waheguru to decide and judge.

Edited by $ingh $oorma
2 people like this

On 6/11/2017 at 1:01 AM, Big_Tera said:

Yes but whats is better to have a Sikh who does good deeds or someone who just wears a turban for the sake of it. 

I think there is a big misconception in our culture. ie we immediatley assume a turban wearing Sikh is somehow better. But are there actions not more important. I have come across many turban wearing Sikhs who smoke drink ect. Yet I know many mona who do not and are the complete opposite. So why respect someone just because he has a pagh on. It does not make them a better person inside. 

Wat stops those mona lisas from growing their hair then and keeping dastars or even taking amrit? 

If they are so good in their habits, and in alignment with sikhi values then i feel they're wasting wisdom by not implementing it. 

Keeping hair turban and taking amrit is not the end of it, but rather the beginning on a successful path. 

1 person likes this