6 month Parcharik Training Course

Applications: Now open until 12.00pm (UK time) on Monday 7th August 2017.

The 6 month Parcharik Training Course is for Amritdhari Sikhs who want to become a Parcharik (Sikhi educator). We have a full time teacher and use our current active Parchariks to teach Sikhi at an intermediate level in a comfortable learning environment for both men and women.

Starting in September 2017 and based in the UK, applications are welcome from Sikhs bi-lingual in at least English and Punjabi. If completed successfully, the students may be offered a job as a full time Parcharik with Basics of Sikhi.

Basics of Sikhi - Academy Video

Teacher

BoS_Academy_Teacher_Amardeep_Singh.jpgName: Amardeeep Singh – Lead teacher of the Bsaics of Sikhi Academy

We want to introduce you to our very own now full time teacher at the Vadiyala: Amardeep Singh. He teaches: Gurbani Santhiya (correct pronunciation), Gurbani Ar’th (meanings of Gurbani), Sikh Ithihaas (history) and Gurmat Research.

We asked him to write about his goals and background and these are his answers:

Main Goals
For students to be well equipped with the correct pronounciation, deeper understanding of Sikh itihaas and provide skills to properly utilise historical resources, in order to gain deeper understanding of Gurbani.

Who and where did you learn from?
From Giani Bhagwan Singh Bhindranwale at Gurdwara Nirmal Bunga Gurmat Vidyala Bhindran, Sangrur.

Giani Jee learnt from Sant Baba Karnail Singh Jee at Tallewal and Giani Harbhajan Singh Dhudike at Gurdwara Akhand Prakash Bhinder Kalan under the guidance of Sant Giani Mohan Singh Bhindranwale.

What was the method used?
Traditional Taksal method of vidya which includes detailed Katha (discourses) of Gurbani, Suraj Prakash (six volume work detailing the lives of all the Sikh Gurus) and Katha Granths, in addition to one-to-one Santhiya.

We feel very blessed to have him in our team!

As well as Amardeep Singh, the students will also be taught by current Basics of Sikhi Parchariks Baljit Singh and Harman Singh. Check out this video to see what the teachers had to say about the Class of 2016 – 2017

http://www.basicsofsikhi.com/academy/

18 hours ago, Preeet said:

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh, ji

"may be offered a job as a full time Parcharik".. Forgive me, but I thought it was not good to use religion as a way to make money. Someone told me a story where certain pandits went to Sri Guru Sahib ji and asked why they did not have shanti, even though they did katha of their own dharma, & why Sikhs had so much shanti.. Apparently Sri Guru Sahib ji said something along the lines that Sikhs practice dharma for dharma, and those certain pandits earned money with it. Bhull chuk maaf kijye. Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh

What's your source other than "someone" told me? Are you that naive that you'll believe anything anyone tells you? 

The money these people will make will sustain them and keep them afloat financially allowing them to feed themselves. They're not making millions and sitting on untold riches. There's no profit involved and at the same time they are encouraging people to embrace Sikhi. Why is that a problem? Having full time prachariks who are devoted to doing just that is 1000x better than having someone who does it as a hobby. They'll take it more seriously and are less likely to prioritise other jobs over it.

9 hours ago, Kira said:

What's your source other than "someone" told me? Are you that naive that you'll believe anything anyone tells you? 

The money these people will make will sustain them and keep them afloat financially allowing them to feed themselves. They're not making millions and sitting on untold riches. There's no profit involved and at the same time they are encouraging people to embrace Sikhi. Why is that a problem? Having full time prachariks who are devoted to doing just that is 1000x better than having someone who does it as a hobby. They'll take it more seriously and are less likely to prioritise other jobs over it.

Friend, why do you so unequivocally denounce what she said? Leave aside that she heard something at sometime in Katha, and can't remember the name of the kathakar.

The fact is that our religious books speak quite explicitly about the problems inherent in taking money in return for religious works. Read the 35th Vaar of Bhai Gurdas Ji, Pauris 12-16. https://searchgurbani.com/bhai_gurdas_vaaran/vaar_index/35

12 Expectation from a religious place
ਧਰਮਸਾਲ ਦੀ ਝਾਕ
13 Desire from the earning of the religious place
ਝਾਕ - ਪੂਜਾ ਦਾ ਧਾਨ
14 Earnings of worship
ਪੂਜਾ ਦਾ ਧਾਨ
15 How earnings of worship could be digested
ਪੂਜਾ ਦਾ ਧਾਨ ਕਿੱਕੂੰ ਪਚੇ ?
16 The marks of the religious-earning-grabbers
ਧਰਮਸਾਲ ਝਾਕੀਆਂ ਦਾ ਲੱਛਣ

Here's an excerpt to get you started:

ਜਿਉ ਮਿਰਜਾਦਾ ਹਿੰਦੂਆਂ ਗਊ ਮਾਸੁ ਅਖਾਜੁ।

As the cow meat is forbidden in Hindu code of conduct;

ਤਿਉ ਧਰਮਸਾਲ ਦੀ ਝਾਕ ਹੈ ਵਿਹੁ ਖੰਡੂਪਾਜੁ ॥੧੨॥

Similarly to set one's eye upon the earning of the religious place is like eating of sugar coated poison.

Vaar 35, Pauri 12

Now, I do recognize that we basically have to have full-time workers in our Gurdwaras and other institutions, but don't dismiss the concerns highlighted by Bhai Gurdas Ji.

6 hours ago, Preeet said:

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh, ji

Veer ji, these stories were told orally to me. If someone lives off of donations of sangat, then whatever pains the sangat has is transferred to the person who live's off their work. Even in my Sri Gurdwara Sahib ji, they tell everyone who is rich or poor that 'lohr matavic langar shako' (aka do not always live off of donations). Parchar is something that needs to be done for free, rather than for money. Look at all these people who use sikhi as a way to make money, buying 1st class plane tickets to travel etc. It would save us from people who do Parchar and literally say anything just because they will receive $$$ afterwards. Now people are having paathi sahib jis doing paath at their house for money as well, if the reciter's motive is to achieve money and not actually do paath for free then what energy are they really spreading while doing paath? Energy matters, even when making sri karah prasad we are told to try to keep the most positive energy while preparing it. These are just my views, all are free to believe in what they want, but as per that saakhi I would rather live a simple life and earn little money, rather than making money off of sri guru sahib ji's sikhya which is free for all. Free for all.. Sri Gurbani Sahib ji is not invented by us, why should we sell it in the name of dharma. I think people who do stuff as hobbies have true prem, because they are doing it for the love of it, rather than the ones who have $$$ on their mind. bhull chuk maaf kijye Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh

no one's making millions and flying first class. Where on earth did u get that from? Granthis get paid as well. I suppose suddenly that's something you'd be against despite the fact the practice originated from the time of the 10th Guru. The money is helping these people live a simple lifestyle and also further enhance and do their own research into various Sikh scriptures. These people are essentially devoting their lives to preserving our heritage. You can cry and worry about Paap being transferred all you want, that's on you. 

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

Friend, why do you so unequivocally denounce what she said? Leave aside that she heard something at sometime in Katha, and can't remember the name of the kathakar.

The fact is that our religious books speak quite explicitly about the problems inherent in taking money in return for religious works. Read the 35th Vaar of Bhai Gurdas Ji, Pauris 12-16. https://searchgurbani.com/bhai_gurdas_vaaran/vaar_index/35

12 Expectation from a religious place
ਧਰਮਸਾਲ ਦੀ ਝਾਕ
13 Desire from the earning of the religious place
ਝਾਕ - ਪੂਜਾ ਦਾ ਧਾਨ
14 Earnings of worship
ਪੂਜਾ ਦਾ ਧਾਨ
15 How earnings of worship could be digested
ਪੂਜਾ ਦਾ ਧਾਨ ਕਿੱਕੂੰ ਪਚੇ ?
16 The marks of the religious-earning-grabbers
ਧਰਮਸਾਲ ਝਾਕੀਆਂ ਦਾ ਲੱਛਣ

Here's an excerpt to get you started:

ਜਿਉ ਮਿਰਜਾਦਾ ਹਿੰਦੂਆਂ ਗਊ ਮਾਸੁ ਅਖਾਜੁ।

As the cow meat is forbidden in Hindu code of conduct;

ਤਿਉ ਧਰਮਸਾਲ ਦੀ ਝਾਕ ਹੈ ਵਿਹੁ ਖੰਡੂਪਾਜੁ ॥੧੨॥

Similarly to set one's eye upon the earning of the religious place is like eating of sugar coated poison.

Vaar 35, Pauri 12

Now, I do recognize that we basically have to have full-time workers in our Gurdwaras and other institutions, but don't dismiss the concerns highlighted by Bhai Gurdas Ji.

Bro that verse is for those who eye the money only and seek to make a profit. The person here aren't making any form of profit so there's no conflict of interest in that term. The problem is alot of people will say "Oh i heard a Sakhi about this and Guru Ji did this or that" There's far too many of these stories going around. The key words here are Jhaak Hei. Meaning, eyeing it and seeking to exploit and making a profit.

55 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh, ji

I think it's one thing to be paid to run a Sri Gurdwara Sahib ji at majburis if there are no sevaks (reading paath/kirtan etc), but to go out and do parchar and try to spread the dharmic message of paath for money seems to be different to me. Like would they give us gyan if they were not paid? Anyways, I apologize. bhull chuk maaf kijye Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh

Are you saying they don't work hard? Half these people who do this Prachar as a hobby spread lies and falsehoods. The same people claim Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a prophet rather than Akaal Roop. The Prachariks like these are going into dangerous neighbourhoods, travelling around and also making sure all falsehoods about Sikhism are stamped out. That's kirat alright, they're working hard. People like you who keep a passive approach are the reason why sikhism is in such a dire state. 

Granthis get paid to do Paath and Kirtan, basically monopolising Gurbani the very thing you claim to be against. You have such blunt double standards here. If you think doing Prachar with panth appointed people who devote their lives to this is a bad thing then that's on you. Your entire reason for being against it is because someone told you a story and you decided it must be true. Maybe fact check a bit?

To those saying they shouldn't get paid, what else do you expect them to live off? What about the Granthis and Ragis that get paid? What about the Ragis, etc that come from India, you think they do it for free? People have families, so how do you think they provide from them if they do it for free? You think the Gurdwara committees do it for free? ?Cuckoo land or what. 

Guest GuestSingh
On 5/23/2017 at 2:44 AM, Kira said:

How do you know there is no profit involved? What is your source of information? Do you know every single parcharik in existence and how each of them spend their salary?

I doubt it very, very much so how can you write such a wild claim? You are the one who seems naive.

ਉੱਤੋਂ  ਬੀਬੀਆਂ  ਦਾਹੜੀਆਂ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਕਾਲੇ ਕਾਂ

Also, for your information, Preeet used the word 'apparently' in her first post. Did you see and read it or was the rush of blood to lash out in anger so quick that you missed it?

On 5/23/2017 at 2:11 PM, Kira said:

no one's making millions and flying first class. Where on earth did u get that from? Granthis get paid as well. I suppose suddenly that's something you'd be against despite the fact the practice originated from the time of the 10th Guru. The money is helping these people live a simple lifestyle and also further enhance and do their own research into various Sikh scriptures. These people are essentially devoting their lives to preserving our heritage.

Why do you continue to make bold assumptions? You are not omniscient.

Can you tell me what kind of simple lifestyle is lead by these parchariks? How do they live? What do they eat and drink? What kind of house and car do they own?

On 5/23/2017 at 2:11 PM, Kira said:

Bro that verse is for those who eye the money only and seek to make a profit. The person here aren't making any form of profit so there's no conflict of interest in that term. The key words here are Jhaak Hei. Meaning, eyeing it and seeking to exploit and making a profit.

Again, how do you know that?

On 5/23/2017 at 3:33 PM, Kira said:

Are you saying they don't work hard? Half these people who do this Prachar as a hobby spread lies and falsehoods. The same people claim Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a prophet rather than Akaal Roop. The Prachariks like these are going into dangerous neighbourhoods, travelling around and also making sure all falsehoods about Sikhism are stamped out. That's kirat alright, they're working hard. People like you who keep a passive approach are the reason why sikhism is in such a dire state. 

Granthis get paid to do Paath and Kirtan, basically monopolising Gurbani the very thing you claim to be against. You have such blunt double standards here. If you think doing Prachar with panth appointed people who devote their lives to this is a bad thing then that's on you. Your entire reason for being against it is because someone told you a story and you decided it must be true. Maybe fact check a bit?

As you believe that half the people who do parchar as a hobby are false, perhaps you can tell me how many parchariks are there in the world? This question should not be a problem for you to answer as you seem to like to sound quite knowledgeable.

If you can't do that then perhaps you should check your 'facts' a bit.