Sikh university student advice

Guest Kaur

Guest Kaur

WJKK WJKF 

I started university in September 2016 and I am studying Medicine. I have not taken amrit but I believe I am on a good path with Sikhi. Before attending uni, I used to always do my paath in the morning and evening. 

At the start of uni, I did do my paath as usual. But as the year continued I started to not do it every day due to revising late and having to get up early in time for lectures. My timetable was busy and I was very tired trying to keep up with everything. Although I was attending Sikh society I started to feel as if I was slipping off the path I had worked hard to stay on. 

I feel as if my mind started to loose its focus on Sikhi and it took a toll on my work load. I don't do any of the "typical" stuff university students fall into. Instead, I became more lazy and tired and felt overwhelmed with my studies. 

My exams are in one week now and I truly feel ashamed and guilty for not having done my paath these past few months. I feel as if I have let Guruji down. I am afraid I will not pass and will not make it back into medical school. I worked so hard with Maharj di kirpa to get into medical school as I wanted to become a doctor to do seva, but now I feel I have betrayed God and I will not pass. 

Basically, how can I get back into sikhi and doing my paath? Also, how can I ask Guruji to forgive me for these past few months? 

Please forgive me if I said anything wrong and thank you for any advice you can give in advance. 

WJKK WJKF. 

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ 

Ardaas! Do Ardaas to mahraaj and explain how the last few months have proven that we're nothing without Guroo jees support; Ardaasan are your personal conversation time with Guroo sahib and take a hukamnama to see their response. 

Ask for a strong amrithvelaa and nitnem routine again and again and set alarms to help you wake up and sleep on time; one thing that helps many students is sleeping between 10 and 11 waking up early, around 1-half past 1 in the morning and going back to sleep around 4 and then waking up again at around 7:30 as you get around 7-8 hours sleep just in two separate naps, and you can nap in the evening if required aswell

Attend Sangath regularly and attend keertan Darbars and listen to katha whenever you have time. Bhai Sukha Singh jee UK is highly recommended as his katha is easy to understand and become absorbed in, both in English and Panjabi