Guest singh21

accidentaly drank alcohol

33 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Preeet said:

My sister told me that if we inhale 2nd hand smoke accidentally, then we have to do Sri Japji Sahib ji 5x. 

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh 

you only have to do that if you inhaled 2nd hand smoke intentionally, if you take your kirpan of (airport) if you accidentally consumed eggs or meat, or if your are separated from any of your kakkars except for the kachera. Because if you take your kachera off even on accident you have to go pesh. 

Bhul chuk maaf 

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh 

1 person likes this

On 6/17/2017 at 6:36 AM, dallysingh101 said:

It's interesting how they (i.e. Singh Sabha) turned one original bujjar kureit which was solely anti-tobacco, into a catch all for all intoxicants. They essentially moved previously considered lesser offences, into bujjar kureit territory. Because of this process some of our respected ancestors now look dubious because they might have used opium (afeem) or cannabis (sukha-nidhaan) for some non-recreational reasons (possibly as anesthetics and relief from PTSD symptoms). 

People have been making alcohol in Panjab for a long time btw, so it wasn't foreign. Kalals were the ones who traditionally brewed/distilled it. 

I think the British and neo-conservatives of the SS lehar clamped down on drinking amongst Sikhs because we all know how volatile and obnoxious Panjabis  can get after a few drinks, especially Juts, who have a VERY STRONG drink culture (which has spread to the wider community in the last few decades). 

There is logic behind the drive to ban drinking because we all (at least should) know how much buckwaas comes from this habit amongst our lot (wife beating, acting a fudhoo in front of children and traumatising them, stupid bar room brawls over nothing etc. etc.) But we have long standing and deeply rooted traditions/culture of drinking amongst some sections of the community and it says a lot that despite moving drinking in bujjar kureit territory - like it or not - apnay are still generally famous for their 'impressive' drinking 'abilities'.

I wonder how kalaals fit in with the brahmin society? Why were they allowed to exist as sharaab is considered a major vish....maybe cuz the kshatriya rajputs drank alcohol so brahmins allowed it....

Also i think u are right that afeem and alcohol were not considered bujjar kurehits back then. sikhs in that time essentially did wat hindu rajas did, drink, have multiple wives, ate meat except beef or halaal. And only those things that were foreign or malaish such as tobacco and muslim women were considered dharam bhrist. Otherwise why would ranjit singhs be only punished when marrying a muslim and not for the other 24 wives he had?

Its true that afeem is part of panjabi culture. I wonder if our ancestors used to have opium fields? I know my grandmothers dad was addicted to afeem, and this was way before the current lehar of nashe in panjab. (He still tried to be anakhi and would not beg for money or put his family in debt, just ragar some khaskhas n sleep in if he couldnt get his feem)  And we have had amlees or addicts in villages since olden times

I remember when i had recurring fever that wouldnt go away in india, my dad offered me a doda, opium pod, saying it would totally dry out the fever. As an amritdhari, i refused vehemently, but now i feel stupid as ive realized most medicines are opiods based. And i just learned from my biochem prof that travelers diarrhoea can be cured by taking SMALL amt of opium by mouth.

So yes i can imagine that sukha and feem and even alcohol had non-reacreational usage among sikhs. (Alchol is a great antiseptic for wounds and stuff) but it quickly got out of hand esp during the raaj

For sukha tho, if given to children and teenagers, it can affect their brain giving them lower IQ

Edited by Not2Cool2Argue
Wasnt finished
2 people like this

3 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

I wonder how kalaals fit in with the brahmin society? Why were they allowed to exist as sharaab is considered a major vish....maybe cuz the kshatriya rajputs drank alcohol so brahmins allowed it....

Also i think u are right that afeem and alcohol were not considered bujjar kurehits back then. sikhs in that time essentially did wat hindu rajas did, drink, have multiple wives, ate meat except beef or halaal. And only those things that were foreign or malaish such as tobacco and muslim women were considered dharam bhrist. Otherwise why would ranjit singhs be only punished when marrying a muslim and not for the other 24 wives he had?

Its true that afeem is part of panjabi culture. I wonder if our ancestors used to have opium fields? I know my grandmothers dad was addicted to afeem, and this was way before the current lehar of nashe in panjab. (He still tried to be anakhi and would not beg for money or put his family in debt, just ragar some khaskhas n sleep in if he couldnt get his feem)  And we have had amlees or addicts in villages since olden times

I remember when i had recurring fever that wouldnt go away in india, my dad offered me a doda, opium pod, saying it would totally dry out the fever. As an amritdhari, i refused vehemently, but now i feel stupid as ive realized most medicines are opiods based. And i just learned from my biochem prof that travelers diarrhoea can be cured by taking SMALL amt of opium by mouth.

So yes i can imagine that sukha and feem and even alcohol had non-reacreational usage among sikhs. (Alchol is a great antiseptic for wounds and stuff) but it quickly got out of hand esp during the raaj

For sukha tho, if given to children and teenagers, it can affect their brain giving them lower IQ

I've heard the one about a tiny amount of opium orally to cure diarrhoea from family. My grandpa had a bhaeya worker (who he was close to) who was addicted and helped cure him by locking him up in a room and just giving him good food (a lot of hot milk and keeoo apparently) for a few days. Apparently the guy was screaming out from the withdrawal symptoms at some point but got cured in the end. 

Grandma told me that farmers would normally take doses of afeem at harvesting time to increase their stamina when they had to cut down the crops in a small time frame (i.e. work all day and night), this might point at why some ancestors were using it? 

1 person likes this

TBH it depends on how you feel. Accidents are accidents n they happen ALL the time. Yes even tiny amount is prohibited (I think it 4%) even if it was 1% it still alcohol. Reason is, I personally believe n it my opinion, if Maharaaj gave a figure how much is allowed t be consumed, the figure would have changed today. So, let's just say Maharaaj said "It ok to consume 1 glass, 100 ml per 7 days." To us this would mean "700ml, 10 glasses in 7 days," as our Mann chuturai would get in the way. So Maharaja sed "DO NOT EVEN TOUCH BOTTLE/ GLASS OF ALCOHOL!"

I believe there's a Sakhi where the warriors used alcohol as medicine after a battle. Maharaja punished them (told them to do paat n Ardaas) they argued they did not consume it, just popped it in their mouth but maharaja argued "It went in you whether you know it or not."

Next day a Sikh came b4 maharaja n admitted having a bit as "he liked the taste" then maharaja told him to go pesh!

This Sakhi speaks volumes (am 100% sure this did happen but hard to get hold of Sakhi...) must ask around 4 double check/ exact details.

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, Singh1989 said:

I believe there's a Sakhi where the warriors used alcohol as medicine after a battle. Maharaja punished them (told them to do paat n Ardaas) they argued they did not consume it, just popped it in their mouth but maharaja argued "It went in you whether you know it or not."

I'd love to find the source of this. 

On 17/6/2017 at 1:43 AM, Sukhvirk1976 said:

If it's a accident then how can it be sin.. 

Whether one willingly causes a car accident, or accidentally, in both cases, the cars/vehicles, get damaged.

Attention and awareness, are the tools to be used, in order to avoid accidents in any fields.

Wahiguru has given us buddhi and chit, let us use them in a practical manner.

Sat Sree Akal.

4 people like this

48 minutes ago, harsharan000 said:

Whether one willingly causes a car accident, or accidentally, in both cases, the cars/vehicles, get damaged.

Attention and awareness, are the tools to be used, in order to avoid accidents in any fields.

Wahiguru has given us buddhi and chit, let us use them in a practical manner.

Sat Sree Akal.

Absolutely. SSA 

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:09 AM, Preeet said:

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh, ji

Not really sure, singh ji.. But where I live, it is not rare to accidentally inhale cigarette/vape smoke outside of malls/other stores. What can we do about that.. I heard we have to include in our Sri Ardas Sahib ji to ask for forgiveness for accidentally inhaling 2nd hand smoke. Even my neighbor smokes outside on her sundeck, and I used to practiced paath on my sundeck next to her house, and her 2nd hand smoke would come right at my face because of the wind. My sister told me that if we inhale 2nd hand smoke accidentally, then we have to do Sri Japji Sahib ji 5x. But I don't know for sure if she's right. Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh ji

Lol Preeet Ji! In the next 7-10 years 2 things will happen... You n sis will either get so many more blessings or your spiritual level will fall where you give the "It doesn't matter anymore" attitude. Which one will it b?? Only time will tell.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Topics

• The bases of rehat didn't start in Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib ji time.  Bases of rehat is from Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji and its, Ik Onkar praise, hukam, Naam, and simran.  This guy says anyone can do paath.  Then how come he doesn't understand Tvad Parsad Swaiyve?  Swaiyve say bases of shastar vidyia is paath.  If Mona can do paath without Amrit how come they are not taking following the Gurus hukam to keep hair uncut?  This guy speaks of nihangs.  Nihangs say rehit is grown and paath is done by doing praise of Akal Purakh.  This guy must be talking to nidar the giddar who drinks alcohol and this niddars foundation. First 5 Gurus didn't even pick up a sword to fight anyone.  According to this poster this means the gurus never followed the active lifestyle rehit.  Neither did anyone of the Gurmukhs of the first 5 Gurus period.  Therefore these first 5 gurus only did paath which even the hindus and Muslims were doing.  See how ridiculous these extremist liberals thinking has gone.  They want people to stop reading Gurbani.  This makes people more vulnerable and can easily be swayed by these type of people.
    • Guest Jagsaw_Singh
      Southall had it from the early 80's Ranjeet. I didn't but everyone else around me did. People from Hounslow etc would call it the 'Southall innit accent' and I don't think any of us knew at the time how it would go on to become London's dominant accent. I remember at the time feeling bad how I wasn't speaking in the same way that all my friends and cousins had begun to speak. It made me feel bad but I put it down to the fact that I was spending way too little time doing 'southall things' and way too much time doing 'white things' (thinking back...kinda gayish camp things) such as reading poetry books while sitting in Highgate cemetery. I think that was my downfall. If I never did that I would have ended up speaking the way I should have ended up speaking. Thats actually quite interesting because it's always fascinated me how our perception of London manors and neighbourhoods is based entirely on man-made concepts of London Boroughs from the 1960's. For example, some council official in the 60's decided that a London Borough of Hounslow would be made and Brentford would be part of it. So now, when we think of Brentford we automatically associate it with Hounslow just because of that one decision from the 1960's. Historically however, Brentford, along with Boston Manor and Hanwell (W7) were positively joined at the hip with Southall and all 4 were considered extensions of each other. Another interesting point to remember is how we should salute our elders rather than critcise them for the way they pronounce 'Hounslow' and 'Southall'. These old timers from the pends back home have, without even knowing it, proven to be historically 100% accurate. We laughed and criticised them for prounouncing Hounslow as 'Hunslore' and Southall as 'Sultharle',  Nobody could ever have imagined how unbelievably right they are though for Hounslow is a modern day corruption of the original name of the town 'Hundslawe' and Southall is a modern day corruption of the original name of the town 'Sulaale; (Sir De Sulaale was given the plot of land we now know as Southall as a Knight's fee........A Knight's Fee in olde English Law is the equivalent of the olde Punjabi 'Jagir'. The greatest example of a Knights Fee (jagir) in our own Sikh history is the Manjki tract. It's fascinating.....all history is fascinating but this is truly fascinating....because this 'knight's fee' was given to the Dhaliwal Misl that raised the Nishan Sahib over the Red Fort in Delhi and therefore, in one fell swoop, ruled over the whole of the Indian sub-continent. To appease the Sikh misl, the mughals gave them a jagir (knight's fee) of a tract of land in Doaba. That land became to be known as the manjki tract and it;s inhabitants the manjki jats. Where it becomes really interesting is that 95% of the pioneer Sikhs in Southall, Canada, California and what was in the late 1800's the single biggest Sikh point of immigration: Australia (or 'Telia' as it became to be known in Punjabi) came from the Manjki tract) Oh definately full-blown 'Cockney' in the traditional sense Ranjeet. My mum's a classic example but its the same with many of my uncles and aunties born in Southall in the 1950's, 60's and early 70's.......From mid 70's onwards its a very different story. Southall's history actually gives us many clues as to how this phenomena came about. In the early 1900's right up untill the 60's it was a massive industrial hub. It was famous for 2 things...firstly for being the lunatic asylum capital of England and secondly for having 59% of it devoted to industry. Ignoring the major industries that chose Southall, particularly the International American brands that chose Southall as its base such as Johnson and Johnson, Quaker Oats and the German car maker Daimler Benz.....for the subject of this conversation we need to remember 2 things: the fact that Southall was a railway town and, most importantly, the Grand Union Canal (River Brent). The water, to be honest with you, defines the history of Southall and thus the history of the Sikhs of Southall more than anything else. For example, I'm sure everyone here has visited the massive and iconic Havelock Road Singh Sabha Gurdwara but who here realises that the very spot the Gurdwara sits was one, because of it's closeness to the water, was the site of Wedgewood's China plates factory complex ?  I mention that partly because that type of industry explains why Southall attracted so many Wesh people but obviously I'm digressing here because we're trying to explain the cockney element. From 1900 to 1930 (again because of Southall's river/canal connection) more than a dozen major brick, weaving and other factories moved out of Shoreditch in the East End of London and set themselves up in Southall. Their workers came with them. And their voices came with them too.
    • for my well-practiced ear (since I was born within sound of bow bells ( technically a cockney)  southall is more like the Essex accent rather than the true cockney accent (no apples and pears, jaffas or mutton phrases etc) . which makes sense as central line is direct link to the two halfs . One classic telltale sign is the constant use of innit as punctuation, you don't get that in Cockney it's used purely in sentence context. I agree there is a difference in vowel use and cadence south of the Water , I did three years there ,new cross, new cross gate, brockley (eldest born at Lewisham hospital),  it didn't take.