accidentaly drank alcohol

Guest singh21

27 minutes ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Thats true

But i think i wrote that to illustrate that punishments for kurehits used to be severe 

That was a bujjar kuriet. I think drinking was considered a lesser infringement (i.e. not bujjar kureit). This probably played a big part on it becoming more and more common probably.

The bujjar kureits usually meant you was expelled from the Khalsa, period (or until it was agreed that you could be reaccepted and take amrit again). The other offences carried less severe punishments (usually fines and/or seva).  

On 6/15/2017 at 8:08 AM, dallysingh101 said:

That was a bujjar kuriet. I think drinking was considered a lesser infringement (i.e. not bujjar kureit). This probably played a big part on it becoming more and more common probably.

The bujjar kureits usually meant you was expelled from the Khalsa, period (or until it was agreed that you could be reaccepted and take amrit again). The other offences carried less severe punishments (usually fines and/or seva).  

You could be right....even now panjabis r more likely to drink then do hookah or cigarettes....

But currently alcohol is part of the bujjar kurehits. I think it might have to do with sikh ppl avoidin anythin malesh or foreign...l

On 2017-5-20 at 7:09 PM, Guest singh21 said:

Yesterday, I went to a school party. At the bar i asked for non-alcoholic drink as I am amritdhari, But I was accidentaly  given a beer containing 5% alcohol. 

I swear to God, I didn't like the taste and after  tasting it  i threw it away. Just after that, people started telling that I was turning red and i also felt myself uncomfortable. maybe because i hadn't eaten anything earlier.

My question is that is accidental or minimal consumption of alcohol a sin? Will i have to present myself in front of the 5 pyare and get rebaptised again? are non-alcohol beers also prohibited?

If it's a accident then how can it be sin.. 

15 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

You could be right....even now panjabis r more likely to drink then do hookah or cigarettes....

But currently alcohol is part of the bujjar kurehits. I think it might have to do with sikh ppl avoidin anythin malesh or foreign...l

It's interesting how they (i.e. Singh Sabha) turned one original bujjar kureit which was solely anti-tobacco, into a catch all for all intoxicants. They essentially moved previously considered lesser offences, into bujjar kureit territory. Because of this process some of our respected ancestors now look dubious because they might have used opium (afeem) or cannabis (sukha-nidhaan) for some non-recreational reasons (possibly as anesthetics and relief from PTSD symptoms). 

People have been making alcohol in Panjab for a long time btw, so it wasn't foreign. Kalals were the ones who traditionally brewed/distilled it. 

I think the British and neo-conservatives of the SS lehar clamped down on drinking amongst Sikhs because we all know how volatile and obnoxious Panjabis  can get after a few drinks, especially Juts, who have a VERY STRONG drink culture (which has spread to the wider community in the last few decades). 

There is logic behind the drive to ban drinking because we all (at least should) know how much buckwaas comes from this habit amongst our lot (wife beating, acting a fudhoo in front of children and traumatising them, stupid bar room brawls over nothing etc. etc.) But we have long standing and deeply rooted traditions/culture of drinking amongst some sections of the community and it says a lot that despite moving drinking in bujjar kureit territory - like it or not - apnay are still generally famous for their 'impressive' drinking 'abilities'.

10 hours ago, Preeet said:

My sister told me that if we inhale 2nd hand smoke accidentally, then we have to do Sri Japji Sahib ji 5x. 

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh 

you only have to do that if you inhaled 2nd hand smoke intentionally, if you take your kirpan of (airport) if you accidentally consumed eggs or meat, or if your are separated from any of your kakkars except for the kachera. Because if you take your kachera off even on accident you have to go pesh. 

Bhul chuk maaf 

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh 

On 6/17/2017 at 6:36 AM, dallysingh101 said:

It's interesting how they (i.e. Singh Sabha) turned one original bujjar kureit which was solely anti-tobacco, into a catch all for all intoxicants. They essentially moved previously considered lesser offences, into bujjar kureit territory. Because of this process some of our respected ancestors now look dubious because they might have used opium (afeem) or cannabis (sukha-nidhaan) for some non-recreational reasons (possibly as anesthetics and relief from PTSD symptoms). 

People have been making alcohol in Panjab for a long time btw, so it wasn't foreign. Kalals were the ones who traditionally brewed/distilled it. 

I think the British and neo-conservatives of the SS lehar clamped down on drinking amongst Sikhs because we all know how volatile and obnoxious Panjabis  can get after a few drinks, especially Juts, who have a VERY STRONG drink culture (which has spread to the wider community in the last few decades). 

There is logic behind the drive to ban drinking because we all (at least should) know how much buckwaas comes from this habit amongst our lot (wife beating, acting a fudhoo in front of children and traumatising them, stupid bar room brawls over nothing etc. etc.) But we have long standing and deeply rooted traditions/culture of drinking amongst some sections of the community and it says a lot that despite moving drinking in bujjar kureit territory - like it or not - apnay are still generally famous for their 'impressive' drinking 'abilities'.

I wonder how kalaals fit in with the brahmin society? Why were they allowed to exist as sharaab is considered a major vish....maybe cuz the kshatriya rajputs drank alcohol so brahmins allowed it....

Also i think u are right that afeem and alcohol were not considered bujjar kurehits back then. sikhs in that time essentially did wat hindu rajas did, drink, have multiple wives, ate meat except beef or halaal. And only those things that were foreign or malaish such as tobacco and muslim women were considered dharam bhrist. Otherwise why would ranjit singhs be only punished when marrying a muslim and not for the other 24 wives he had?

Its true that afeem is part of panjabi culture. I wonder if our ancestors used to have opium fields? I know my grandmothers dad was addicted to afeem, and this was way before the current lehar of nashe in panjab. (He still tried to be anakhi and would not beg for money or put his family in debt, just ragar some khaskhas n sleep in if he couldnt get his feem)  And we have had amlees or addicts in villages since olden times

I remember when i had recurring fever that wouldnt go away in india, my dad offered me a doda, opium pod, saying it would totally dry out the fever. As an amritdhari, i refused vehemently, but now i feel stupid as ive realized most medicines are opiods based. And i just learned from my biochem prof that travelers diarrhoea can be cured by taking SMALL amt of opium by mouth.

So yes i can imagine that sukha and feem and even alcohol had non-reacreational usage among sikhs. (Alchol is a great antiseptic for wounds and stuff) but it quickly got out of hand esp during the raaj

For sukha tho, if given to children and teenagers, it can affect their brain giving them lower IQ

3 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

I wonder how kalaals fit in with the brahmin society? Why were they allowed to exist as sharaab is considered a major vish....maybe cuz the kshatriya rajputs drank alcohol so brahmins allowed it....

Also i think u are right that afeem and alcohol were not considered bujjar kurehits back then. sikhs in that time essentially did wat hindu rajas did, drink, have multiple wives, ate meat except beef or halaal. And only those things that were foreign or malaish such as tobacco and muslim women were considered dharam bhrist. Otherwise why would ranjit singhs be only punished when marrying a muslim and not for the other 24 wives he had?

Its true that afeem is part of panjabi culture. I wonder if our ancestors used to have opium fields? I know my grandmothers dad was addicted to afeem, and this was way before the current lehar of nashe in panjab. (He still tried to be anakhi and would not beg for money or put his family in debt, just ragar some khaskhas n sleep in if he couldnt get his feem)  And we have had amlees or addicts in villages since olden times

I remember when i had recurring fever that wouldnt go away in india, my dad offered me a doda, opium pod, saying it would totally dry out the fever. As an amritdhari, i refused vehemently, but now i feel stupid as ive realized most medicines are opiods based. And i just learned from my biochem prof that travelers diarrhoea can be cured by taking SMALL amt of opium by mouth.

So yes i can imagine that sukha and feem and even alcohol had non-reacreational usage among sikhs. (Alchol is a great antiseptic for wounds and stuff) but it quickly got out of hand esp during the raaj

For sukha tho, if given to children and teenagers, it can affect their brain giving them lower IQ

I've heard the one about a tiny amount of opium orally to cure diarrhoea from family. My grandpa had a bhaeya worker (who he was close to) who was addicted and helped cure him by locking him up in a room and just giving him good food (a lot of hot milk and keeoo apparently) for a few days. Apparently the guy was screaming out from the withdrawal symptoms at some point but got cured in the end. 

Grandma told me that farmers would normally take doses of afeem at harvesting time to increase their stamina when they had to cut down the crops in a small time frame (i.e. work all day and night), this might point at why some ancestors were using it? 

TBH it depends on how you feel. Accidents are accidents n they happen ALL the time. Yes even tiny amount is prohibited (I think it 4%) even if it was 1% it still alcohol. Reason is, I personally believe n it my opinion, if Maharaaj gave a figure how much is allowed t be consumed, the figure would have changed today. So, let's just say Maharaaj said "It ok to consume 1 glass, 100 ml per 7 days." To us this would mean "700ml, 10 glasses in 7 days," as our Mann chuturai would get in the way. So Maharaja sed "DO NOT EVEN TOUCH BOTTLE/ GLASS OF ALCOHOL!"

I believe there's a Sakhi where the warriors used alcohol as medicine after a battle. Maharaja punished them (told them to do paat n Ardaas) they argued they did not consume it, just popped it in their mouth but maharaja argued "It went in you whether you know it or not."

Next day a Sikh came b4 maharaja n admitted having a bit as "he liked the taste" then maharaja told him to go pesh!

This Sakhi speaks volumes (am 100% sure this did happen but hard to get hold of Sakhi...) must ask around 4 double check/ exact details.

33 minutes ago, Singh1989 said:

I believe there's a Sakhi where the warriors used alcohol as medicine after a battle. Maharaja punished them (told them to do paat n Ardaas) they argued they did not consume it, just popped it in their mouth but maharaja argued "It went in you whether you know it or not."

I'd love to find the source of this.