Brand-new Sikh Political Party called The Panth Party

A controversial religious campaigner has vowed to champion 'British values with a Sikh ethos' as he launched his General Election campaign for the Black Country's most marginal seat.

Prison chaplain Jagmeet Singh will contest Wolverhampton South West as an independent candidate.

He has hit out at the lack of representation of his religion in Parliament and has pledged to be the first 'turban wearing bearded Sikh' in the House of Commons.

Mr Singh rose to national prominence in 2015 when he used a live television appearance to launch a protest about the lack of media coverage of violence against Sikh's in the Punjab.

It led to him being threatened with ejection from the BBC's Sunday Morning Live programme by host Sian Williams.

Mr Singh, aged 35, said: "I felt it was my public duty to speak up over a very important issue.

"It was an example of me speaking truth to power, which is precisely the way I will be running my campaign in Wolverhampton."

Mr Singh is a former staff member of educational charity Basics of Sikhi, and now works as a relief chaplain in HMP Birmingham.

The father-of-one is originally from London and lived in American for a decade before moving to Wednesfield.

He said he has chosen to fight the Wolverhampton South West constituency as he believes the area has been 'badly let down for years' by Conservative and Labour politicians.

"I firmly believe that the views of the people are not being represented," he said.

"In a healthy democracy we should have more variety as far as our politicians are concerned. The Conservatives and Labour have done a very good job of making people apathetic towards politics.

"I want to spread a positive message based around championing British values with a Sikh ethos."

Wolverhampton South West was won by Labour's Rob Marris in 2015 with a slender majority of 801.

Conservative Paul Uppal, who came second on that occasion, is back to contest the seat, with Labour's Eleanor Smith replacing the retired Mr Marris.

Mr Singh says he hopes to appeal to 'people from all backgrounds' and believes he has 'an excellent chance' of defying the odds at the June 8 poll.

"I certainly believe we can record a magnificent victory and put the first turban wearing bearded Sikh in the House of Commons," he said.

"At the moment Parliament is unrepresentative of the British people and I want to change that."

SOURCE - https://www.expressandstar.com/news/trending-topics/general-election-2017/2017/05/17/sikh-candidate-champions-british-values/#H7rSQXZ5Xsf0ZTRZ.99

Guest Jacfsing2
6 hours ago, KhoonKaBadlaKhoon said:

Why is that? Not from UK, so I know nothing of him. 

Starting a Sikh party in a nation of Non-Sikhs, in a community of Non-Sikhs, and the democratic power in the power of Non-Sikhs, is a recipe for failure. I wouldn't vote for a Jesus Christ Party or a Vishnu Party, or a Muhammad party, so it would be ridiculous to expect Non-Sikhs to vote for a party with a Sikh name. This would work in a Sikh Theocracy, but not in a diverse democracy. He should join a major political party and hope to win that way, even Singhs and Kaurs in Canada join major political parties for elections, and Sikhs in Canada are by far the most represented in politics than any other country in the world, (including India). England-based Sikhs on the other hand can't win votes with having a seperate group for themselves. (Even in Sikh districts).

I like Jagmeet Singh, he's totally focused on what he believes in and is passionate about Sikhi but, and it's a big but, I think this move to start a Sikh political party and him standing in the elections is one of the most ill conceived things I've seen in a long time, as already mentioned, he should have stood for one of the main parties, if he wanted a party with values closest to Sikhi he should have stood with the Green Party.

This Election's is going to be a tactical one and people forming parties that are based on religion (or anything else for that matter) without viewing the bigger picture are going to pull vital votes away from major parties.

9 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Starting a Sikh party in a nation of Non-Sikhs, in a community of Non-Sikhs, and the democratic power in the power of Non-Sikhs, is a recipe for failure. I wouldn't vote for a Jesus Christ Party or a Vishnu Party, or a Muhammad party, so it would be ridiculous to expect Non-Sikhs to vote for a party with a Sikh name. This would work in a Sikh Theocracy, but not in a diverse democracy. He should join a major political party and hope to win that way, even Singhs and Kaurs in Canada join major political parties for elections, and Sikhs in Canada are by far the most represented in politics than any other country in the world, (including India). England-based Sikhs on the other hand can't win votes with having a seperate group for themselves. (Even in Sikh districts).

Completely agree with this, look at Canada and Jagmeet Singh, he's in the NDP and is going for the leadership race for the party, he brings Sikh issues to the forefront and speaks about them but it's not a "Sikh" political part, his younger brother is on the same path.

Even with all of that in mind, I wish him all the best.