• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Big_Tera

Are Inside of uk Gurdwaras to colorful?

21 posts in this topic

Should Sikh places of worship not be simple places with a low amount of colours for a more calming and relaxing place to pray and sit and concentrate?

Having been to many Gurdwaras up and down the country in the UK I notice a trend especially up north and the midlands exuberant and overpowering patterns and colours which are distracting. Such as carpets with heavily patterned designs and mis matches of colours patterns ect .. Having all these colours makes it look un sophisticated and less serious place. 

 Why cant places of worship be simple and claming places which is the case in India.

This is a typical example of inside of a UK Gurdwara.

 

 

 

DSC01907.JPG

Edited by Big_Tera
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

Should Sikh places of worship not be simple places with a low amount of colours for a more calming and relaxing place to pray and sit and concentrate?

Having been to many Gurdwaras up and down the country in the UK I notice a trend especially up north and the midlands exuberant and overpowering patterns and colours which are distracting. Such as carpets with heavily patterned designs and mis matches of colours patterns ect .. Having all these colours makes it look un sophisticated and less serious place. 

 Why cant places of worship be simple and claming places which is the case in India.

This is a typical example of inside of a UK Gurdwara.

 

 

 

DSC01907.JPG

I like this, it's nice. Different colours have different effects to the soul, that contribute to the spiritual development and they have different meanings also. E.g. Blue, Bana of Gursikhs, Orange, etc. 

Neutral plain colours, do give peace of mind though, and have more of a calming effect. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:waheguru: colors don't mean anything. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Guru is your King. Your Emporer. How should the house of an Emporer be decorated?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/5/2017 at 10:30 AM, Big_Tera said:

Should Sikh places of worship not be simple places with a low amount of colours for a more calming and relaxing place to pray and sit and concentrate?

Having been to many Gurdwaras up and down the country in the UK I notice a trend especially up north and the midlands exuberant and overpowering patterns and colours which are distracting. Such as carpets with heavily patterned designs and mis matches of colours patterns ect .. Having all these colours makes it look un sophisticated and less serious place. 

 Why cant places of worship be simple and claming places which is the case in India.

This is a typical example of inside of a UK Gurdwara.

DSC01907.JPG

 

Brother,

each one of us has akhoot pyar for  Guru Jee, and wants the best for Sachay Patshah. So brother, that should not bother us, neither distract us. Just look at the pyar behind all that, of our fellow gursikhs.

Apart from that, it is important that when we enter or come out of a Gurdwara, we keep a check  on us, if we have dyed ourselves with the colors of humility, love, purity and sharda at the Lotus Feet of Akal Purukh.

If we go with that attitude, then we shall see Him, or at least feel His presence in everyone and everywhere, then outer aspects do not matter much, because we have lifted our surtee to higher levels of divinity.

Sat Sree Akal.

 

 

 

Edited by harsharan000
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, harsharan000 said:

Apart from that, it is important that when we enter or come out of a Gurdwara, we keep a check  on us if we have dyed ourselves with the colors of humility, love, purity and sharda at the Lotus Feet of Akal Purukh.

This quote of Harsharan paji's reminded of the shabad, where Guruji tells us of the colour of the Lord's love that we should be asking/wishing for:

 

Btw Harsharan paji are you getting my message in inbox? 

Edited by simran345
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:p

Edited by pavitarsk
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, pavitarsk said:

God's creation is full of color, all we have to do is just observe und it's everywhere.  Even the rainbow has 7 colors. Where would we be without color? Where indeed? Life will be so dull without color! 

I am not talking about outside life. I think you have missed the point. This is about inside the Gurdwara not colours in everyday life. Such as the colour of your clothes ect.

The Guru and God is so special There is no need for exhoborant decorations. The Gurdwara were the SGGS is kept does not need any special colours. A simple SGGS is enough. Why do you need so many colours/decorations ect to make it feel like your in a special place. Places of worship should he basic and simple. This should not be some kind of disco with flashing colours and lights all over the place. It just make it look fake and futher away from God. 

I like the inside of the Southall Gurdwara simple decor. The SGGs is all you need. 

It shoud not be like going to some nursey type building. With pink carpets, flashing lights all over the place. All it does it make it look childish and anything but a place of worship. If you need all this fake and sparkly colours then there must be something wrong with you or something lacking in you that you need all this colour to remind you of God. 

Im not saying go the other way and that there should be no colour at all. There should be a balance. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Big_Tera
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well do you want it to be dull?

It doesn't matter, you don't come to a temple to see how it looks do you?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KhalistanYouth said:

Well do you want it to be dull?

It doesn't matter, you don't come to a temple to see how it looks do you?

You just contradicted yourself. On one hand you say it should not be dull and be colourfull. Then you say you dont go to Gurdwara to see how it looks. If you dont go to see how it looks why make it colourful?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Big_Tera paji, if it's bothering you that much that you feel it's affecting your spiritual development or you can't focus on Gurbani, then why don't you approach the committee and politely offer some suggestions? Instead of taking pics of Darbar Sahib of Gurdwaras, make some suggestions to the Gurdwara you visited, because whoever would have decorated/dressed Maharaj ji, we cannot judge the respect and love they would have for them. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, pavitarsk said:

God's creation is full of color, all we have to do is just observe und it's everywhere.  Even the rainbow has 7 colors. Where would we be without color? Where indeed? Life will be so dull without color! 

And to many colours good or bad? Would you decorate your house like a rainbow? Or would you keep it plain and simple. The best things in life are simple my friend. 

Edited by Big_Tera
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, simran345 said:

@Big_Tera paji, if it's bothering you that much that you feel it's affecting your spiritual development or you can't focus on Gurbani, then why don't you approach the committee and politely offer some suggestions? Instead of taking pics of Darbar Sahib of Gurdwaras, make some suggestions to the Gurdwara you visited, because whoever would have decorated/dressed Maharaj ji, we cannot judge the respect and love they would have for them. 

Its not just about me. Many other people agree. Its up to all of us to raise the issues. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2017 at 3:03 PM, Wicked Warrior said:

The Guru is your King. Your Emporer. How should the house of an Emporer be decorated?

Im sure the Guru would prefer a clean and pure sangat instead of any flashy colours and lights. 

If you need these to make you feel that your in the presence of the Guru then there must be something seriously lacking within you. Remember the Guru does not care for wordly and materialistic things and nor should you. It reminds me of some that have big chuncky karas made of gold or earings and khanda chains. The guru does not care about all this. He cares about your deeds and what is inside. Live a simple life my friend or you will miss out on all the heavenly glory. 

Edited by Big_Tera
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

Its not just about me. Many other people agree. Its up to all of us to raise the issues. 

No, it's up to the local sangat of the Gurdwara of whichever city/towns they live in to approach the committee and work together if they want any change in the Gurdwara. 

Our Gurdwara sangat doesn't have a problem with the decor in the Gurdwaras I attend, so it doesn't mean every Gurdwara's interior is like the one in the picture you have put up. 

If you want change in your Gurdwara, then it's up to you to do it, not expect others to do it for you. If you and whoever else from the sangat a Gurdwara have an issue of the way the Gurdwara is run or decorated or whatever the problem maybe, then you have to approach them in a civilised and polite manner with some ideas and book a meeting with them. That's what you need to do, and not make a song and dance about it, going in all anger and frustrated. 

You never know, they may listen to new ideas. You won't know until the sangat try's and they may not be aware of your concerns. 

Edited by simran345
Spelling mistakes
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

Would you decorate your house like a rainbow? Or would you keep it plain and simple. The best things in life are simple my friend. 

Someone can decorate their house how they wish. Not everybody has the same taste in colours and decor, or simplicity, ornaments, wallpaper, shades of colours, furniture. The list goes on. It's individual preference, that's why there's so much choice in Homebase, B and Q, and what not stores. 

1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

Im sure the Guru would prefer a clean and pure sangat instead of any flashy colours and lights. 

You've written two different things here, "clean and pure sangat" does not relate to colours or lights. How do you know what Guruji prefers in regards to which colours? That's very silly to write that.

Are you also complaining about the rumaals on Guruji, because of their colours and embroidered work? There's nothing wrong with them. 

Also to add, the only thing that needs changing in the picture is to take away the decorations and have less flower arrangements if they are not fresh. It's a simple procedure that can be easily changed. Everything else seems fine, until the sangat want to change the carpet and work together with the committee to use the sangat's funds to do that. It's all about communicating and compromising together. But the carpet isn't visible much, when the chadaran are laid over it. 

Edited by simran345
Added more.
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do colours of a Darbar matter, you could design the brightest gurdwara you could think of yet if your soul is still black then it won't have any effect, will it? If you think that colour/decor is distracting, you must have serious problems when it comes to bhagthee. Rule number 1. keep your eyes closed, as 40% of our distractions come through what we see! 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AjaipalSingh said:

Why do colours of a Darbar matter, you could design the brightest gurdwara you could think of yet if your soul is still black then it won't have any effect, will it? If you think that colour/decor is distracting, you must have serious problems when it comes to bhagthee. Rule number 1. keep your eyes closed, as 40% of our distractions come through what we see! 

err thats my whole point. Gurdwaras dont need to be over bright and colourful it is what is inside that counts. You are just repeating what I said. But yeh to sum up. This was a simple topic.  Yet as always people have complicated it and brought in their own philosophies. 

Edited by Big_Tera
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter. It's Guru sahib's court and it should look rich not a dirt castle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BigTera is right. The darbar of the Guru should look kingly. Full of elegance. Not mismatched colors. Gurudwaras should maybe hire interior designers. 

Its much worse some places. In our gurudwara the walls are not even left white they are painted crazy designs. Some painter guy came from india and hes been doing all the designs for the gurudware, so we have blue patterend walls with gold borders. Our langar hall is  dark burgandy stripes. Its a mess.

I like how the bulandhpuri gurudwara and 3HO are going all white. I think only blue and white should be allowed for the sant sipahi aspects. Also we need to tone it down with the gold.

Someone said a hindu temple looks like a firework of color went off and thats how our gurudware are starttin to become. Looking more like hindu temples esp with all the red n yellow. And those marigold haar everywhere.

We have gurujis saroop at home and we use simple comfortable cotton for the rumalle with a beautiful border  looks much more regal.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now