Kira

Has anyone here read the Quran

115 posts in this topic

Just now, jkvlondon said:

Arab and hindu ones open to the side but our ones open centrally (or the rules they are meant to) Arab ones are without Kalian 

Arab chole don't open anywhere. BTW its called jubbah or thobe. They wear it during friday prayers here. Its closed from all side as split might allow indecent exposure which islam rebukes i think 

14 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

In recent times my mind constantly returns to one question regarding Islam and our Guru Sahibs: if the Qur'an and its teachings are as their scriptures show them to be, why were our Guru Sahibs not unequivocal in their condemnation of the religion, its Prophet, and its teachings? How can the authors of our Bani possibly be so forgiving of the content of the Qur'an? I don't get it at all.

Because its not so black and white. Most muslims were sufi in India and that is a beautiful religion full of ppl trying to connect to God. On the other hand, the Gurus spend a considerable amount of their time fighting religious fanatics like Aurangzeb. Yet were friends with Akbar. In fact Aurangzeb had a really popular sufi saint Sarmad killed for not following sharia properly. The gurus were friends with prominent sufis like Mian Mir and Pir Budha Shah. 

Its not right to think of islam as evil as it is popular now to do on the internet. But we must realize islam does have a tendancy to turn those in power against nonmuslims. So we shouldnt trust muslims esp those in power.So as always, balance.is the key. Also why would the Gurus denounce a religion that would turn into the 2nd largest in the world? Did he want to lock his Sikhs into an eternal theological battle against islam? Its much better that we are neutral and will fight zulam n pakhand (cruelty n hypocrisy) from watever source it comes. And we can simultaneously denounce the West and Islam and Hindutva. It better that we dont have 1 known evil to pinpoint the worlds problems on.

And the Gurus were onto something bigger than we can imagine. When muslims used to say that Mohammed is the seal and no prophets came after him, i used to wonder why didnt the Gurus mention Muhammad in sggs, that would give them more validity and support amongest muslims. But now that Ive learned about some of the questionable acts Muhammad did, Im glad his name doesnt grace the SGGS. On the other hand, some ex-sikh who is an athiest is questioning why the Gurus mentioned muslims in Sggs and why did guruji say that shabad about be a good muslim, savor the religion of the prophet'

He says this is praising mujammed when in fact Guru Arjan Dev ji refused to.include any praise of Muhammed in gurbani and that was one reason Jahangir had them shaheed.  

He expected guruji to at the very least ignore the muslims and not give them any guidance because of their religion and at the most denounce and convert them, i suppose

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

And both are similar to the robes of a handful of other communities of millions in that part of the world. What's your point?

My point is kurta we wear probably came from arabic thobes (robes). You can look at the similarity .

The way its sewn (esp at the armpit ) in case of our granthis  is also similar to how arabs sew it ! 

I am just saying Indians probably didn't have kurtas and pajamas either. Arabs brought it . Before that indians only wore wrapped clothes like saree, dhoti , lungi etc lol

We owe our kurtey to arabs really . 

Edited by AjeetSinghPunjabi

2 hours ago, Kira said:

I;m tempted to order the Quran from India in Gurmukhi script with proper meanings too lol, but im pretty sure my family there might start telling my parents I'm turning into a muslim. 

I would ask my muslim classmates but In all honesty I want more neutral opinions of it, not ones forged in the depths of childhood brainwashing lol.

Go ahead! You can explain to your family, part of the Sikh Rehat is to study all books of other faiths. I feel fortunate now as my local Gurdwara has a library, where Quran in Gurmukhi, Bible and Bhagvat Gita are available to take and read.  

1 person likes this

I am surprised we're more interested in reading foreign scriptures like torah and quran, but not indian ones like Upanishads , which are actually quite deep and beautiful in philosophy 

Edited by AjeetSinghPunjabi

10 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

I knew that actually lol . It came in punjabi from arabic.

Other interesting word "nehar" (river) is actually from hebrew ! Nehar in hebrew means river. It probably came via arabic and persian into punjabi

If you knew that then why say what you said earlier?

Are you looking to be centre of attention at any cost like a proper gayboy or something? 

1 person likes this

Just now, dallysingh101 said:

If you knew that then why say what you said earlier?

Are you looking to be centre of attention at any cost like a proper gayboy or something? 

waheguru ! no personal attacks please. Also why are you going on my orientation . :/ 

It was misplaced earlier. what would i do by getting attention from this forum. Attention is of no use to me here 

2 people like this

1 minute ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

waheguru ! no personal attacks please. Also why are you going on my orientation . :/ 

It was misplaced earlier. what would i do by getting attention from this forum. Attention is of no use to me here 

I know gay people. They're naturally attention seeking.....

Just behave yourself here mate. 

1 person likes this

I know gay people. They're naturally attention seeking.....

Just behave yourself here mate. 

How would you feel if someone called you a RAGHEAD ? sure , stereotyping is bad .isn't it ??

30 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I'll have to read up on all this. I know that Mohammed's assassin was apparently a Jewish woman whose family he'd previously slain, so unless Jews had their hands in creating a version of the Qur'an, I'm getting confused.

Look into youtube videos of Tarek Fatah. He talks about the murderers of muhammeds family alot and uses it as a way to reform islam. So as far as I understand, after muhammeds death, there was a control struggle. Ppl who hated muhammed won and they forced muhammeds family to exile and killed them that is when the battle of karbala takes place. And them these ppl went on to revise the quran n make it fit their rule and narrative. U should check out Tarek Fatah, hes a cool panjabi dude.

1 person likes this

Just now, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

How would you feel if someone called you a RAGHEAD ? sure , stereotyping is bad .isn't it ??

Well stop conforming to it then. 

BTW - Raghead doesn't bother me. I fully accept that it is the derogatory epithet for my people. I wear it with pride. Even if I don't wear a pagh. 

BTW - Raghead doesn't bother me. I fully accept that it is the derogatory epithet for my people. I wear it with pride. Even if I don't wear a pagh. 

For how long "sikhs" will be your people ? you have foresaken pagg , now your son will most likely not wear it , neither his son I guess. After a few generations, your family might assimilate in hindoo 

8 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

For how long "sikhs" will be your people ? you have foresaken pagg , now your son will most likely not wear it , neither his son I guess. After a few generations, your family might assimilate in hindoo 

Not in England. More likely to assimilate into Anglos here. My family are such gruff pendus, most genteel Hindus would run a mile from them anyway. lol!

That being said, I meet plenty of pagh wearing Sikhs who are the biggest coconuts you can meet, so it's not as simple as you might think. These people are as obsessed about football (or act so) as the dumbest gora, and seem more attached and knowledgeable about their favourite football team than their Sikh identity/history.

Life is complicated. lol 

Edited by dallysingh101

1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

Not in England. More likely to assimilate into Anglos here. My family are such gruff pendus, most genteel Hindus would run a mile from them anyway. lol!

That being said, I meet plenty of pagh wearing Sikhs who are the biggest coconuts you can meet, so it's not as simple as you might think. These people are as obsessed about football (or act so) as the dumbest gora, and seem more attached and knowledgeable about their football team' shirt than their Sikh identity/history.

Life is complicated. lol 

I know those fagggoty , poooftery people really make me angry :/ 

1 hour ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

How is a resident Indian in Mumbai aware of quite specific racial slurs directed at certain minorities in the West? Raghead is a specifically NA term that's interchangeably used for Sikhs and Muslims. I've never got any inkling that anyone in India is aware of such a term.

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

you are being facetious at least or a bit more than dense  a rag is  discarded cloth used to clean up rubbish and dirt ...since when has the dastar ever been referred to in such a low manner and you are happy to roll with it ??? WTH  Have you no spine ?  I am no Muslim terror merchant and neither am I willing to take such Cr4p from unpard dungar  so I cannot see why any sikh would accept insult to Guru ji's gift .

Why wouldn't a guy sitting in india not know what americans slur a "raghead" as ? Internet brings things 

I am not disrespecting dastaar. I tie one myself. 

The guy who pretended to feel offended (dallysingh) doesn't even wear one . 

I am just pointing out how he casually called me a "gayboy" while if he wore a turban or even otherwise due to brown skin, he would be targeted by americans . How would he feel like ? 

no offense intended 

59 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Why wouldn't a guy sitting in india not know what americans slur a "raghead" as ? Internet brings things 

I am just pointing out how he casually called me a "gayboy" while if he wore a turban or even otherwise due to brown skin, he would be targeted by americans . How would he feel like ? 

no offense intended 

The term faggot isn't even exclusively used as a slur for gays nowadays, btw. It's a general term for a fool regardless of sexuality, although this isn't yet really common knowledge outside of certain corners of the internet community. In the UK faggots are meatballs made from pork or other offcuts. We also refer to cigarettes as fags. Pooftah is a term i haven't heard or seen used in decades, and that's another UK term, too. Another term that's commonly used for gays is benders. 

Edited by MisterrSingh

38 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

When did I pretend to feel offended? 

I think you're talking to the wrong person. I grew up in East London during an intense period of accepted racism where open abuse and violent race attacks were the norm. I also routinely work on building sites (when working with office w**kers just gets too much and you need to be around more down to earth people). This environment is also very 'racist' compared to most (although a helluva lot better than it used to be!)

Just so you all know, I have thick skin as a consequence. I could not give an inch of a toss about some 'abusive' words. Water off a duck's ar5e - as they say. Now if someone starts putting hands on people - that's a different matter. 

49 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

ou are being facetious at least or a bit more than dense  a rag is  discarded cloth used to clean up rubbish and dirt ...since when has the dastar ever been referred to in such a low manner and you are happy to roll with it ??? WTH  Have you no spine ?  I am no Muslim terror merchant and neither am I willing to take such Cr4p from unpard dungar  so I cannot see why any sikh would accept insult to Guru ji's gift .

When you spend a lot of time around the culprits, and understand their mentality/IQ - you get to understand that their intellectual limitations pretty much prevent them from acting any different to how they do. They only curtail themselves when threatened physically or with job loss. Other than that - they is what they is. It's a sort of lack of a particular type of mental development. These guys remind me of certain, sniggering idiots I used to go school with. 

Raghead is like our equivalent of 'niggah' for blacks. Own it! Plus you're a girl, and that means you live in parallel universe to blokes - so I don't think you'll ever get it.  

42 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

The term faggot isn't even exclusively used as a slur for gays nowadays, btw. It's a general term for a homosexual regardless of sexuality, although this isn't yet really common knowledge outside of certain corners of the internet community. In the UK faggots are meatballs made from pork or other offcuts. We also refer to cigarettes as fags. Pooftah is a term i haven't heard or seen used in decades, and that's another UK term, too. Another term that's commonly used for gays is benders. 

Let's expand your list:

Shirt lifter, batty bwoy, fudge-packer, back-door-merchant are also terms people use. 

6 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Let's expand your list:

Shirt lifter, batty bwoy, fudge-packer, back-door-merchant are also terms people use. 

I never knew you had it in you, lol.

12 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

When did I pretend to feel offended? 

I think you're talking to the wrong person. I grew up in East London during an intense period of accepted racism where open abuse and violent race attacks were the norm. I also routinely work on building sites (when working with office w**kers just gets too much and you need to be around more down to earth people). This environment is also very 'racist' compared to most (although a helluva lot better than it used to be!)

Just so you all know, I have thick skin as a consequence. I could not give an inch of a toss about some 'abusive' words. Water off a duck's ar5e - as they say. Now if someone starts putting hands on people - that's a different matter. 

When you spend a lot of time around the culprits, and understand their mentality/IQ - you get to understand that their intellectual limitations pretty much prevent them from acting any different to how they do. They only curtail themselves when threatened physically or with job loss. Other than that - they is what they is. It's a sort of lack of a particular type of mental development. These guys remind me of certain, sniggering idiots I used to go school with. 

Raghead is like our equivalent of 'niggah' for blacks. Own it! Plus you're a girl, and that means you live in parallel universe to blokes - so I don't think you'll ever get it.  

I wear a dastar and took beats for it from a young age from both sexes so nah that don't fly I am tired of being pigeon holed by untold Cr4p of an ideology alien to me  and being punished for it . Let them get their beats for a change , ain't nobody got time for sucking up and making sure they are OK ...1.7 billion I'm sure they can handle it  . 

8 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I never knew you had it in you, lol.

it's amazing what you lingo you pick up down the East end , best is when you hear your Mum giving it back fullblast to filltee mouth jamiki kids in their patois (of course she'll come and ask what it means first hehe)

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

it's amazing what you lingo you pick up down the East end , best is when you hear your Mum giving it back fullblast to filltee mouth jamiki kids in their patois (of course she'll come and ask what it means first hehe)

I'll never forget the day my dad called me a bumberclart when i came home from primary school back in the day. Then he immediately asked me what it meant, lol. He'd have these brief slivers of fun once or twice a year for a couple of minutes, then it was back to the severe routine, lol.

Edited by MisterrSingh

4 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

I thought we as sikhs , our history is evident of fact that Islam always thrived on forcible conversion.

People might not have converted voluntarily but at the tip of sword or by softer coercions like "money", "protection", being tax-free etc 

Right. When you're living in an Islamic State (Islamic Raj), everything is at the mercy of the state, so you can't really say people are converting voluntarily, because Muslims abused the power of the state to coerce non-Muslims, so you can't call it "non-violent conversions". It's like either your daughter will be raped and dishonored, and your house will be looted, or you can "voluntarily" accept Islam, and we'll find a husband for your daughter, and you can continue living in your house. What a choice.

1 person likes this

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Topics

• Blase means to be indifferent or unconcerned. However, you perceive my writing on Dasam Bani being reintroduced to be both nonchalant (why don't we bring in another French word) but also emotional and angry at the same time. That kind of makes for an oxymoron; contradictory terms.  When attempting to have any genuine and fruitful discussion I have experienced it is helpful to not speculate or make conjecture about the viewpoints of another. If curious or in doubt, just ask; ask with the innocent interest of a child. Other genuine level-headed people will gladly oblige. Fools like myself may otherwise find injury in your guesswork.   Bringing in Samparda Kathavachaks fixes the symptom not the illness. The root problem that will fester and multiply is unaddressed. Is this a strategy for the long term that will bring unity and togetherness in the Panth? No. I have posted an excerpt of my last post on this topic below for your convenience, often my arguments become TL;DR.     Again, conjecture and scorn for a person you genuinely want to have dialogue with may not be useful. Some may misinterpret your heartfelt intentions.   If I'm not mistaken, it was rescinded after just two years!  Here is the difference: When the Sikhs took the jagir from the Mughals, they took it after deliberation, discussion, and the approval of the Sarbat Khalsa Baba Harnam Singh Dhumma has built no such discussion and consensus building into his strategy, not even with the Sant Samaj. Heaps of them condemn his political choices.  Getting the discourse changed to Gurmat is good. But the underlying problems remain unaddressed; problems that do the most to hold the Panth back as outlined in my above post.  The jagir allowed the Sikhs to consolidate different jathas under the leadership of Kapur Singh into the Dal Khalsa. Factions were brought together.  They used the political calm to develop their autonomous power and establish their sovereignty This was political power and control that they were able to grow for the Panth. The jagir was taken away very quickly, but look at what they accomplished in that time. The Khalsa was brought together in unity to fight for our future prosperity.  I highly doubt the SIkhs who had been hunted down by Zakariya Khan suddenly became enthralled by his friendship. They took the jagir in a collective, panthic decision and likely knew they could be double-crossed. But they mustered their forces and were in a stronger position for when it did happen.  In all the major issues of the Panth that I have outlined in my previous posts, Baba Harnam Singh Dhumma has made little headway in ameliorating them.  No political autonomy is established for the Panth. The Indian government regulated the SGPC, the SGPC in turn is run by Badal and the Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal). There is no autonomy or control of the Panth in its own affairs, we are led by the string where the political elite wish to go.  As I stated previously: Baba Harnam Singh Dhumma's strategy gives the Panth no autonomy, no control, and he has not pushed forward the Panth's interests in any worthwhile long-lasting way.   
    • It is by Kavi Santokh Singh Suraj Parkesh Granth
    • This is exactly the same thing which Muslim Kings and army was saying about Sikhs a few centuries ago. In fact, these Muslim rulers were saying that no Sikh is left, however, Sikhs did become rulers of the land after couple of Genocides. I am not saying it is going to be easy with Hindu India, but you are under estimating Sikhs. 
    • Sakhi from  Subedar Baghel Singh “Jivan Anubhav” his autobiography. He says one day after his simran he sat down to rest. His Astral body (sookham sahreer) separated from his body went through the roof at a very high speed. His Astal body left the earth behind and ended up in a place where there were various Sant mandalis. He was surprised to see himself in two separate place but mere thought of his body brought him back inside his body. Similar stories can also be found in pachmi parkash jeeven sant Karam Singh Hotimardan and Se Kinehya Jeeveni Sant Harnam Singh Rampurkhera.