Has anyone here read the Quran

Kira

2 minutes ago, Kira said:

I actually enjoyed quite a bit of it, the stories anyways. Jesus seemed like a really amazing person, Joan of Arc was an interesting read (historically as she was able to hear the voices of the angels).

I don't remember any of the stories, only Jesus, it's weird as I can't remember anything as I grew up, but used to read a page everyday. I was more interested in the singing the hymns I think. 

3 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

I am just saying Indians probably didn't have kurtas and pajamas either. Arabs brought it . Before that indians only wore wrapped clothes like saree, dhoti , lungi etc lol

We owe our kurtey to arabs really . 

Yes, it's true, ancient India did not have sewn clothes. Guru's bana is stitched clothing, and the reason Sikhs wear stitched clothing (chola, kurta-pajama, salwar-kameez) as opposed to sari and dhoti is as a rejection of Vedic values.

http://www.sanatan.org/en/a/290.html shows Hindu preference for unstitched clothes. See also http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/14/saris-reflect-hindu-values/

4 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Guru Sahiban would not have commented on the quran as such because the quran was not the same as it is now , also the hadiths were ascribed to Mohammed many years after his death ; in that case anyone can say anything and say the prophet said it , I mean the sayings had to be sifted for the final published ones out of many thousands 

What? I understand that the Noble Koran was being finalized in the years after the Prophet Mohammed's death, but Guru Nanak Dev ji was born 837 years after the former's death in 632 AD!

4 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Quran is not same as hadiths . Gurbani says nothing on hadiths . 

While your first statement is true, the second is not. It's true that Gurbani is certainly not a long boring commentary on the Hadiths. But Guru Sahib does mention them, and disposes of them in a single statement:

ਨਾਪਾਕ ਪਾਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹਦੀਸਾ ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਿਰਾ ॥੧੨॥

The pertinent part means purify what is impure, and let the God's presence be your hadith. p1048

So, instead of a long, interminable book of what to do and not do, Guru Sahib just says living in the presence of God will keep you on the right track, thus consigning the Hadiths to the dustbin.

4 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

In recent times my mind constantly returns to one question regarding Islam and our Guru Sahibs: if the Qur'an and its teachings are as their scriptures show them to be, why were our Guru Sahibs not unequivocal in their condemnation of the religion, its Prophet, and its teachings? How can the authors of our Bani possibly be so forgiving of the content of the Qur'an? I don't get it at all.

I think in the end we just have to accept that Guru is Satguru, and has the right to decide what to do (not like people who loudly ask why does Bachittar Natak not mention Pir Budhu Shah?). 

That said, I think it's OK to speculate, and some Sikhs have said the reason is simply that Guru Sahib did not think the Arabian Prophet's book was worth Their time. I disagree that Guru Sahib was forgiving of the Quran. The only possible neutral statement is "jhoota jo na bichare", but that's basically a call to be knowledgeable, which is really inarguable.

3 minutes ago, BhForce said:

I think in the end we just have to accept that Guru is Satguru, and has the right to decide what to do (not like people who loudly ask why does Bachittar Natak not mention Pir Budhu Shah?). 

That said, I think it's OK to speculate, and some Sikhs have said the reason is simply that Guru Sahib did not think the Arabian Prophet's book was worth Their time. I disagree that Guru Sahib was forgiving of the Quran. The only possible neutral statement is "jhoota jo na bichare", but that's basically a call to be knowledgeable, which is really inarguable.

Great points. I suppose due to us living in a period of history where these matters are constantly under intense examination, we perhaps assign greater importance to these issues than they actually merit. Still, i do believe Islam and its followers will have a significant role to play in the long-term future of this planet, and it's for that reason i find myself wondering why the muted reaction to their scriptures from our spiritual giants, more so considering the content of our own scriptures in comparison to that which was followed by the ruling regime of those times. 

5 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Perhaps that has something to do with the style and level of competence of the translator? I've read the English versions of the major Sikh banis, and I've got to say they are underwhelming to say the least. There's none of the poetry and the flow of the original Gurmukhi, which is understandable, but as a layman who appreciates the English language I'm pretty certain someone with a flair for the English language could create a superb English translation of SGGS Ji. Even in terms of grammar, the English translations are the typical broken Indian-English taught in Indian schools. It's actually quite a shame that for someone who might only be capable of reading English would come away disappointed in the English translation.

Friend, I have not encountered a single translation with broken English. The translations might not be leet-speak, rapper-talk, or whatever else is spoken on the mean streets of Harlem or Manchester, but that does not mean there is any problem with sentence structure, syntax, or grammar in those translations. Let's not dis our people for no reason.

Do you have any extensive quotations from translations you consider broken English?

3 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Great points. I suppose due to us living in a period of history where these matters are constantly under intense examination, we perhaps assign greater importance to these issues than they actually merit. Still, i do believe Islam and its followers will have a significant role to play in the long-term future of this planet, and it's for that reason i find myself wondering why the muted reaction to their scriptures from our spiritual giants, more so considering the content of our own scriptures in comparison to that which was followed by the ruling regime of those times. 

Exactly. Since the world is experiencing Islamic terror seemingly non-stop since 2001, everyone (including us) wants to know what X has to say about Islam. But we should trust that Guru Sahib knows not just our current needs for the early 21st century, but for all eternity.

6 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

The one most common argument put forward by Muslims to a non-Muslim who's read the Qur'an and the Hadiths, and isn't having any of it is, "But you need to read it in Arabic to appreciate it's purity and depth!" So begins a never-ending process of wrapping the reader in a web of activity to deflect criticism. 

I'll get a hold of what's the commonly accepted best English translation. 

Right, and so the best way to answer that is "I've read the translation authorized by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques (Saudi Arabia)". That should shut them up.

In 1980, the Saudi religious establishment felt the need for a reliable English translation and exegesis of the Qur'an to be made available for the increasing English language readership across the globe. After researching the various translations in print at the time, four high-level committees under the General Presidency of the Department of Islamic Research chose Yusuf Ali's translation and commentary as the best available for publication. After significant revisions, a large Hardback edition was printed in 1985 by the King Fahd Holy Qur'an Printing Complex of Saudi Arabia, according to Royal Decree No. 12412.[2] This edition served as the officially sanctioned English translation of the Saudi religious establishment, until it was replaced by the Noble Qur'an translation upon the latter's arrival in the marketplace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Qur'an:_Text,_Translation_and_Commentary#Saudi_sponsorship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Quran_(Hilali-Khan)

11 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Friend, I have not encountered a single translation with broken English. The translations might not be leet-speak, rapper-talk, or whatever else is spoken on the mean streets of Harlem or Manchester, but that does not mean there is any problem with sentence structure, syntax, or grammar in those translations. Let's not dis our people for no reason.

Do you have any extensive quotations from translations you consider broken English?

It definitely has that quality which is only found in the type of English taught in Indian schools. I'm referring to the only major translation available, the Singh Khalsa version. So whilst not technically broken, to a non-Indian with an ear for syntax and sentence flow, it is quite rough going at times; not constantly but occasionally.